Sprinkle rumors to U of San Diego

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Sprinkle rumors to U of San Diego

Post by Willneal » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:07 pm

Take it with a grain of salt but...
@Coachingchanges on twitter "sprinkle locked deep in negotiations" with USD

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Sprinkle rumors to U of San Diego

Post by damnyoutuesday » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:08 pm

That feels like an extremely lateral move at this point. I could see us losing Sprinkle to a Mountain West team or something of that level, but not another mid-major

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:21 pm

damnyoutuesday wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:08 pm
That feels like an extremely lateral move at this point. I could see us losing Sprinkle to a Mountain West team or something of that level, but not another mid-major
It’s a $500k per year job! It’s not a lateral

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:41 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:21 pm
damnyoutuesday wrote:
It’s a $500k per year job! It’s not a lateral
And the WCC had multiple teams in the tourney this year. One of them is playing right now.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:56 pm

Bummer for us. Great for him if he takes it.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:14 am

damnyoutuesday wrote:
That was my thought initially too but the more I thought about it, the more it makes sense. The WCC is the 9th ranked conference per Sagarin, Big Sky is 22nd. Yes that is bolstered by Gonzaga but St. Mary's, San Francisco were both top 25 Net Ranked teams this year and all 3 went dancing with San Fran being the worst seed at 10, BYU 54th, Santa Clara 67th. MSU was a Big Sky best all the way down at 120th.

San Diego is not a good squad right now but if he can turn them around like he did at MSU that will position him for a bigger jump. Plus all of Sprinkle's connections and ties are west coast. And yes he will double his salary if not a bit more.

The biggest challenge will be making the tournament in a league that has been dominated by two teams in the last 10+ years, but there is no reason USD can't make the dance along with Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:48 am

San Diego is a good move because it gives him more exposure to keep moving up. Going from 15 wins to 20+ and still missing the tournament there will be more impressive than winning the Big Sky and making the tournament. With his CA connections he should probably jump at any chance to get back to that state because there's just more going on there. Unless he wants to be a Bobcat lifer he might as well take any opportunity that comes up, even if it looks like a lateral move in the short term.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:57 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:14 am
damnyoutuesday wrote:
That was my thought initially too but the more I thought about it, the more it makes sense. The WCC is the 9th ranked conference per Sagarin, Big Sky is 22nd. Yes that is bolstered by Gonzaga but St. Mary's, San Francisco were both top 25 Net Ranked teams this year and all 3 went dancing with San Fran being the worst seed at 10, BYU 54th, Santa Clara 67th. MSU was a Big Sky best all the way down at 120th.

San Diego is not a good squad right now but if he can turn them around like he did at MSU that will position him for a bigger jump. Plus all of Sprinkle's connections and ties are west coast. And yes he will double his salary if not a bit more.

The biggest challenge will be making the tournament in a league that has been dominated by two teams in the last 10+ years, but there is no reason USD can't make the dance along with Gonzaga and St. Mary's.
To add to that, Danny is a California guy. I know he's a Montanan, but he loves California. Bozeman is a great destination for a lot of people, but we can't assume everybody wants to live in a small-ish mountain town.

MSU has a real problem on its hands with the growing popularity of Bozeman. Median home prices are up 49% in the last year, to almost $900k. Parents used to be able to buy a house for their kid to live in and have a couple roommates. That's increasingly becoming out of reach, and I'm sure some students will just have to go to school somewhere more affordable. Assistant coaches have to rent apartments, while in other places, even with a modest salary, they can afford to buy a home. I don't know what's going to happen there but it's concerning.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:37 am

We really need some boosters to step up and help support increased coaches salaries, if we want to keep the good ones around. Pretty sad that making over $100k a year is not even remotely close enough to what is needed to live in bozeman (for any job).

FTG- GO CATS GO!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:52 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:37 am
We really need some boosters to step up and help support increased coaches salaries, if we want to keep the good ones around. Pretty sad that making over $100k a year is not even remotely close enough to what is needed to live in bozeman (for any job).
I'd imagine we have some supporters who own some real estate in Bozeman. Even if they built homes of some sort that they rented out to coaches for a reasonable amount, it would be a huge help. They'd still make some revenue and continue to own the property, and MSU could attract assistant coaches that can afford rent in a decent space. If the boosters were ponying up enough cash to supplement the salaries to a decent living wage, you're probably looking at $1-2 million each year. This way they could spend a few million bucks, write off an in-kind donation somehow (I'm not an accountant but I'm sure there's a way to get it done), and still own valuable real estate in Bozeman.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:53 am

Both of these threads are based on a single source. Is there any other source confirming this?

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:56 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:53 am
Both of these threads are based on a single source. Is there any other source confirming this?
Colter/Skyline Sports tweeted yesterday that he has heard that Sprinkle is a candidate at USD. He certainly did not go as far as the "deep in negotiations" tweet though, so I think that is still coming from just one source.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:06 pm

thefrank1 wrote:

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:21 pm

Larry krystkowiak is also a candidate at U of San Diego

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:24 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Even if this is false, and he doesn't take any job this offseason it really only is a matter of time with Sprinkle unfortunately, unless somehow MSU can offer him some big $ but I don't think money is what Sprinkle ultimately wants, I think he wants to be a big time coach.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:36 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:24 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
Even if this is false, and he doesn't take any job this offseason it really only is a matter of time with Sprinkle unfortunately, unless somehow MSU can offer him some big $ but I don't think money is what Sprinkle ultimately wants, I think he wants to be a big time coach.
I agree Coach Sprink wants to be a big time coach...but why not at MSU? Coach Few has built Gonzaga into a powerhouse over 2 decades....I think MSU can become a mid-major power too....

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:54 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:36 pm
CelticCat wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
I agree Coach Sprink wants to be a big time coach...but why not at MSU? Coach Few has built Gonzaga into a powerhouse over 2 decades....I think MSU can become a mid-major power too....
The problem here is that the WCC is arguably the best mid-major basketball conference in the country, and the Big Sky is perennially in the bottom third of the conference rankings. MSU or any other Big Sky team can't become a mid-major power unless the entire conference gets better around them, or else it's just a string of 13/14/15 seeds in the Tournament and maybe an upset first round win every decade.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:34 pm

Willneal wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:21 pm

I have never been a bigger fan of coach K...go coach K

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:38 pm

kcatz wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:34 pm
Willneal wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:21 pm

I have never been a bigger fan of coach K...go coach K
=D^ =D^ =D^

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:44 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:36 pm
CelticCat wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
It would also take a big financial commitment from the school and community too. That hasn’t happened yet but could in the future. Money, money, money means success.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter