Sprinkle rumors to U of San Diego

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Sprinkle rumors to U of San Diego

Post by Catlady » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:01 pm

Slackjaw wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:34 am
If these rumors are true and this actually goes down, I think you all are being way to easy on Coach Sprinkle. Personally, I will have lost some respect for him.

The situation as I see it. The guy was an assistant coach for 20 years with no head coaching experience nor any head coaching job opportunities until his alma mater (“an old friend”) gives him a once in a lifetime opportunity to jump straight into a division 1 head coaching job. He comes back to his home state and does a fantastic job, but for only three years, with really only one good to great year, before deciding to move on.

I would like to think if I was in the same situation, I would have more loyalty to “my old friend” who gave me an unbelievable opportunity when nobody else did. I’m not saying he needs to stay here forever, but I’d like to see him at least build something that could have a lasting/sustaining success before leaving. One good year is not enough. It seems extremely self-centered, millennialish to jump ship after your first successful season, to the first school that offers you more money, one in which you have no allegiance too nor has any additional prestige to it than your current job, away from your alma matter who has given you two of the greatest opportunities of your life. Seriously, at some point, principle over money.

Again, I don’t know if any of this even has legs. Maybe it’s all hogwash and judgement should be held.

I also don’t like what it says about MSU’s commitment to success in basketball. I understand losing football coaches when you compete at a lower level, but I don’t understand how you lose a basketball coach to another fledgling mid-major basketball school. Especially, a coach that’s from your state and graduated from your school and has brought success so quickly.
Wow! We’re actually going to judge the man? What a tough crowd! He did his job and did it well! Asking a lot for a school that hired Fish over Him just a couple of years ago. That’s right we hired Fish over an alumni of MSU. It’s a business! Coaches make decisions and so do schools! He’s not an indentured servant…… he’s a contract employee in which the state he works in limits his income. People make decisions and maybe we should respect Danny’s decision, whatever it might be!

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:29 am

For what it is worth, Twitter is reporting that the University of San Diego is now apparently leaning toward hiring Fresno State head coach Justin Hutson.

I wonder whether Larry Krystowiak is still in the mix?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:37 am

I'm increasingly of the belief that none of these random guys with Twitter accounts actually have the slightest idea what's going on, and just throw out names hoping they guess correctly.

That said, Hutson would make some sense as he was unavailable until two days ago (Fresno State won the Basketball Classic Tournament) and his wife is the women's coach at San Diego State.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:41 am

duelalumnicat wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:29 am
For what it is worth, Twitter is reporting that the University of San Diego is now apparently leaning toward hiring Fresno State head coach Justin Hutson.

I wonder whether Larry Krystowiak is still in the mix?
And then Sprinkle will be rumored for the Fresno State job...and so on and so on.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:38 am

The longer this goes on, it might not be the right fit for Sprinkle or anyone not named Hutson. If they really want someone, then hire someone. I wonder if they’ve been waiting for Hutson all along.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:29 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:37 am
I'm increasingly of the belief that none of these random guys with Twitter accounts actually have the slightest idea what's going on, and just throw out names hoping they guess correctly.

That said, Hutson would make some sense as he was unavailable until two days ago (Fresno State won the Basketball Classic Tournament) and his wife is the women's coach at San Diego State.
Same goes for every mock draft that has Troy Andersen going to their favorite teams.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:00 pm

Feels a little like the Choate saga. Not the same but a little of the flavor. Definitely draining on fans.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:04 pm

Slackjaw wrote:
If these rumors are true and this actually goes down, I think you all are being way to easy on Coach Sprinkle. Personally, I will have lost some respect for him.

The situation as I see it. The guy was an assistant coach for 20 years with no head coaching experience nor any head coaching job opportunities until his alma mater (“an old friend”) gives him a once in a lifetime opportunity to jump straight into a division 1 head coaching job. He comes back to his home state and does a fantastic job, but for only three years, with really only one good to great year, before deciding to move on.

I would like to think if I was in the same situation, I would have more loyalty to “my old friend” who gave me an unbelievable opportunity when nobody else did. I’m not saying he needs to stay here forever, but I’d like to see him at least build something that could have a lasting/sustaining success before leaving. One good year is not enough. It seems extremely self-centered, millennialish to jump ship after your first successful season, to the first school that offers you more money, one in which you have no allegiance too nor has any additional prestige to it than your current job, away from your alma matter who has given you two of the greatest opportunities of your life. Seriously, at some point, principle over money.

Again, I don’t know if any of this even has legs. Maybe it’s all hogwash and judgement should be held.

I also don’t like what it says about MSU’s commitment to success in basketball. I understand losing football coaches when you compete at a lower level, but I don’t understand how you lose a basketball coach to another fledgling mid-major basketball school. Especially, a coach that’s from your state and graduated from your school and has brought success so quickly.
Just curious, do you share these opinions of ALL jobs of your family and friends or just of the coaching profession? I can't think of any other walk of life in which a guy would be judged because he had an opportunity to do the same job but with 2.5x the money. So funny how we tend to give credit to every other professional who climbs the ladder and has great success, but when coaches make these moves it's deemed "selfish".

Just can't wrap my head around that way of thinking personally.

I think we'll have Sprinks for the time being and I wish him continued success and better opportunities in the future.

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:07 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:04 pm
Slackjaw wrote:

Just curious, do you share these opinions of ALL jobs of your family and friends or just of the coaching profession? I can't think of any other walk of life in which a guy would be judged because he had an opportunity to do the same job but with 2.5x the money. So funny how we tend to give credit to every other professional who climbs the ladder and has great success, but when coaches make these moves it's deemed "selfish".

I think we'll have Sprinks for the time being and I wish him continued success and better opportunities in the future.
As stated at the beginning, "I think you all are going a little to easy on him". I didn't expect everybody to agree with me as I was the only person bringing it up. Yes, you are correct I don't judge people in other professions as much as I judge coaches, but none of us really do. It comes with the territory of being a coach. Listen, I don't know how true any of these rumors ever were and I also said I should hold off on the final judgement until something official happens because it is a rough judgement to make on somebody when nothing has actually happened yet. I get that. But, I stand by it.

If he moves on after only one year of success, from the university that gave him his biggest coaching opportunity, which he probably only gets because he was an alma mater, I will be disappointed in him. I do believe there are things more important than pay increases and perceived career advancement. And often times doing what feels like the right thing in your heart and passing up on opportunities due to factors like loyalty, paying it back, long term vision, can pay off bigger than just taking the first offer of a greener pasture. I understand his all sounds like I'm standing on some moral high ground casting judgement down. And it's certainly possible I would be doing the same thing if put in the same position. But, I believe it's still worth discussion.

It seems like the prevailing ideology within Bobcatnation is that money trumps all. Once money and career advancement comes into play, then seeing something through and all the other things discussed doesn't matter anymore. Money and career is the end all be all, and questioning if the motives/decisions/timing are sound is nonsense. I Wonder what I could pay some of you to do.

If not this year?.........When?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:47 am

The title of this thread will need to be edited every off-season.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:53 am

Slackjaw wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:07 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Slackjaw wrote:

As stated at the beginning, "I think you all are going a little to easy on him". I didn't expect everybody to agree with me as I was the only person bringing it up. Yes, you are correct I don't judge people in other professions as much as I judge coaches, but none of us really do. It comes with the territory of being a coach. Listen, I don't know how true any of these rumors ever were and I also said I should hold off on the final judgement until something official happens because it is a rough judgement to make on somebody when nothing has actually happened yet. I get that. But, I stand by it.

If he moves on after only one year of success, from the university that gave him his biggest coaching opportunity, which he probably only gets because he was an alma mater, I will be disappointed in him. I do believe there are things more important than pay increases and perceived career advancement. And often times doing what feels like the right thing in your heart and passing up on opportunities due to factors like loyalty, paying it back, long term vision, can pay off bigger than just taking the first offer of a greener pasture. I understand his all sounds like I'm standing on some moral high ground casting judgement down. And it's certainly possible I would be doing the same thing if put in the same position. But, I believe it's still worth discussion.

It seems like the prevailing ideology within Bobcatnation is that money trumps all. Once money and career advancement comes into play, then seeing something through and all the other things discussed doesn't matter anymore. Money and career is the end all be all, and questioning if the motives/decisions/timing are sound is nonsense. I Wonder what I could pay some of you to do.
Well, in the real world money pretty much does trump all. I literally can't think of a single occupation one does without trying to make the most money possible. Obviously other factors come into play too such as family concerns, cost of living, personal happiness and even loyalty.

In this particular case, the last SD coach was making almost 500k a year. Danny isn't making 200k coaching here. You might not leave your job for a 300k raise, but I most certainly would. So because of that I will never fault a guy for doing the same thing.

I don't know what you could pay people on this board to do. I know for myself, if you are going to pay me $300,000 more to do the same job I'm doing now somewhere else; I'm going somewhere else. :shrug:

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:16 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:53 am
Slackjaw wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Slackjaw wrote:

Well, in the real world money pretty much does trump all. I literally can't think of a single occupation one does without trying to make the most money possible. Obviously other factors come into play too such as family concerns, cost of living, personal happiness and even loyalty.

In this particular case, the last SD coach was making almost 500k a year. Danny isn't making 200k coaching here. You might not leave your job for a 300k raise, but I most certainly would. So because of that I will never fault a guy for doing the same thing.

I don't know what you could pay people on this board to do. I know for myself, if you are going to pay me $300,000 more to do the same job I'm doing now somewhere else; I'm going somewhere else. :shrug:
Yeah, that last comment I made was ******. Probably should left that out.

It is quite a bit more money no doubt. For whatever reason it just rubs me wrong and again, I can't say for sure I wouldn't do the same. It's probably my fandom for MSU that has me thinking if I were in the same position I would stay a coach at MSU for a little longer. If only MSU would give me a shot. :D

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:27 am

Slackjaw wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Slackjaw wrote:

The thing that you are saying is that he’s had one year of success. Simply not true. The team has gotten significantly better over each of the past three years. How they play in terms of attitude, effort, pride, etc. have all improved drastically since he took the helm. It resulted in attaining some goals this year. But when you measure success of a coach when looking to hire, those are the things you look at. He’s had 3 years of success as a head coach.

Coaching, and sports in general, is a very fickle profession. When you have success and career aspirations, it’s silly to not take advantage of career advancement opportunities when you can. None of us really have any idea of the long term impact on his family by landing an opportunity like this. We love to sit on the outside and let our desire to see the team we root for succeed override what may actually be best for someone and their family. Sprinkle’s #1 team to be loyal to is his family. To pass judgment without knowing what is best for his family just isn’t right to me.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:31 am

Slackjaw wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Slackjaw wrote:

If Danny was leaving to take a similar job for similar pay, then you have reason to complain. That simply is not the case. We have already discussed the increase in pay. Where you really miss the mark though is how much better the West Coast Conference is than the Big Sky. The WCC had 2 at large teams in the NCAA tourney. They are one of the best mid-major conferences in the country. USD is strong academically, has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country and some of the best weather in the US. They have a great basketball facility and Sprinkle is very familiar with the local hoops scene for recruiting. This would be a great career move for Sprinkle and he would be crazy to not take the job if offered to him.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:40 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:53 am
I literally can't think of a single occupation one does without trying to make the most money possible.
Clergy.

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:02 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:31 am
Slackjaw wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Slackjaw wrote:

If Danny was leaving to take a similar job for similar pay, then you have reason to complain. That simply is not the case. We have already discussed the increase in pay. Where you really miss the mark though is how much better the West Coast Conference is than the Big Sky. The WCC had 2 at large teams in the NCAA tourney. They are one of the best mid-major conferences in the country. USD is strong academically, has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country and some of the best weather in the US. They have a great basketball facility and Sprinkle is very familiar with the local hoops scene for recruiting. This would be a great career move for Sprinkle and he would be crazy to not take the job if offered to him.
Ok, I understand. You all think I'm crazy for thinking that somebody with such ties to MSU, and got a shot because of those ties, should maybe show a little more loyalty to the school than might happen. I get it, I'm crazy.

So I guess the conversation should be, what can be done at MSU where something like this doesn't happen. Because of all the people I would expect to stick around and build something sustainable, a person like Danny would be that candidate. How MSU can't compete here, and it is assumed to just be a done deal if he was offered, still doesn't make sense to me. If you get a coach as good as Danny, with ties to MSU like Danny, how can we not hold onto somebody like that for more than 3 years? If its a money thing. Why can't the money thing happen, because of regents, UM, what is it? If we can build all sorts of facilities, raise all sorts of money everywhere else, how can we not pay valuable coaches more with the realization that winning will bring in more money. Because I'm willing to bet, somebody like Danny, would be willing to give the home team at least a little bit of a discount, but not as large as a discount as we are talking here w/o a pay increase.

If it isn't money and it's mainly a career move in that WCC>Big Sky. Then I'd argue that is the job of the AD to sell what MSU could be. But you have to sell a vision where MSU is the basketball power in the Big Sky and coach recognition/opportunities will come from multiple trips to the tournament with wins in the tournament. As in phh, San Diego?, you'll be offered a lot better than that if we fulfill this vision where both MSU and you will reap greater rewards than they can offer. I'm not saying it's an easy sell, but it is not out of the realm of possibilities with what has been transpiring in Bozeman and at MSU over the last decade.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:07 am

There could be efforts going on by MSU to help convince Danny to stay.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:10 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:47 am
The title of this thread will need to be edited every off-season.
As long as it's just the team name that's edited I think we'd all be fine with that.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:19 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:07 am
There could be efforts going on by MSU to help convince Danny to stay.
Isn't the final 4 weekend also a big coaches meeting where there are lots of meet/greets and interviews? I assume we'll find out something in the next couple weeks.

I think MSU could probably get creative and bump up the pay for the position, but the big sky is a tough place for a coach to get big time exposure. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:55 pm

Slackjaw wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:02 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:31 am
Slackjaw wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Slackjaw wrote:

Ok, I understand. You all think I'm crazy for thinking that somebody with such ties to MSU, and got a shot because of those ties, should maybe show a little more loyalty to the school than might happen. I get it, I'm crazy.

So I guess the conversation should be, what can be done at MSU where something like this doesn't happen. Because of all the people I would expect to stick around and build something sustainable, a person like Danny would be that candidate. How MSU can't compete here, and it is assumed to just be a done deal if he was offered, still doesn't make sense to me. If you get a coach as good as Danny, with ties to MSU like Danny, how can we not hold onto somebody like that for more than 3 years? If its a money thing. Why can't the money thing happen, because of regents, UM, what is it? If we can build all sorts of facilities, raise all sorts of money everywhere else, how can we not pay valuable coaches more with the realization that winning will bring in more money. Because I'm willing to bet, somebody like Danny, would be willing to give the home team at least a little bit of a discount, but not as large as a discount as we are talking here w/o a pay increase.

If it isn't money and it's mainly a career move in that WCC>Big Sky. Then I'd argue that is the job of the AD to sell what MSU could be. But you have to sell a vision where MSU is the basketball power in the Big Sky and coach recognition/opportunities will come from multiple trips to the tournament with wins in the tournament. As in phh, San Diego?, you'll be offered a lot better than that if we fulfill this vision where both MSU and you will reap greater rewards than they can offer. I'm not saying it's an easy sell, but it is not out of the realm of possibilities with what has been transpiring in Bozeman and at MSU over the last decade.
I'd never fault Sprinkle for wanting to advance his career. Some people are just ambitious. I'd love to have a coach like South Dakota State's football coach who just sticks around for 20 years with pretty darn good success, but those are by far the exception.

I am with you though, I'm disheartened we can't even keep an alumni coach around for more than 3 years (if he leaves which who knows if it's true). But I don't blame Sprinkle for that.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast