Sprinkle rumors to U of San Diego

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Sprinkle rumors to U of San Diego

Post by Ilikecats » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:22 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:10 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:47 am
The title of this thread will need to be edited every off-season.
As long as it's just the team name that's edited I think we'd all be fine with that.
Awesome response and you’re 110% correct. It’s about being successful! They don’t try to recruit losing coaches!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:52 pm

Slackjaw wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:16 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:53 am
Slackjaw wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:07 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:04 pm
Slackjaw wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:34 am
If these rumors are true and this actually goes down, I think you all are being way to easy on Coach Sprinkle. Personally, I will have lost some respect for him.

The situation as I see it. The guy was an assistant coach for 20 years with no head coaching experience nor any head coaching job opportunities until his alma mater (“an old friend”) gives him a once in a lifetime opportunity to jump straight into a division 1 head coaching job. He comes back to his home state and does a fantastic job, but for only three years, with really only one good to great year, before deciding to move on.

I would like to think if I was in the same situation, I would have more loyalty to “my old friend” who gave me an unbelievable opportunity when nobody else did. I’m not saying he needs to stay here forever, but I’d like to see him at least build something that could have a lasting/sustaining success before leaving. One good year is not enough. It seems extremely self-centered, millennialish to jump ship after your first successful season, to the first school that offers you more money, one in which you have no allegiance too nor has any additional prestige to it than your current job, away from your alma matter who has given you two of the greatest opportunities of your life. Seriously, at some point, principle over money.

Again, I don’t know if any of this even has legs. Maybe it’s all hogwash and judgement should be held.

I also don’t like what it says about MSU’s commitment to success in basketball. I understand losing football coaches when you compete at a lower level, but I don’t understand how you lose a basketball coach to another fledgling mid-major basketball school. Especially, a coach that’s from your state and graduated from your school and has brought success so quickly.
Just curious, do you share these opinions of ALL jobs of your family and friends or just of the coaching profession? I can't think of any other walk of life in which a guy would be judged because he had an opportunity to do the same job but with 2.5x the money. So funny how we tend to give credit to every other professional who climbs the ladder and has great success, but when coaches make these moves it's deemed "selfish".

Just can't wrap my head around that way of thinking personally.

I think we'll have Sprinks for the time being and I wish him continued success and better opportunities in the future.
As stated at the beginning, "I think you all are going a little to easy on him". I didn't expect everybody to agree with me as I was the only person bringing it up. Yes, you are correct I don't judge people in other professions as much as I judge coaches, but none of us really do. It comes with the territory of being a coach. Listen, I don't know how true any of these rumors ever were and I also said I should hold off on the final judgement until something official happens because it is a rough judgement to make on somebody when nothing has actually happened yet. I get that. But, I stand by it.

If he moves on after only one year of success, from the university that gave him his biggest coaching opportunity, which he probably only gets because he was an alma mater, I will be disappointed in him. I do believe there are things more important than pay increases and perceived career advancement. And often times doing what feels like the right thing in your heart and passing up on opportunities due to factors like loyalty, paying it back, long term vision, can pay off bigger than just taking the first offer of a greener pasture. I understand his all sounds like I'm standing on some moral high ground casting judgement down. And it's certainly possible I would be doing the same thing if put in the same position. But, I believe it's still worth discussion.

It seems like the prevailing ideology within Bobcatnation is that money trumps all. Once money and career advancement comes into play, then seeing something through and all the other things discussed doesn't matter anymore. Money and career is the end all be all, and questioning if the motives/decisions/timing are sound is nonsense. I Wonder what I could pay some of you to do.
Well, in the real world money pretty much does trump all. I literally can't think of a single occupation one does without trying to make the most money possible. Obviously other factors come into play too such as family concerns, cost of living, personal happiness and even loyalty.

In this particular case, the last SD coach was making almost 500k a year. Danny isn't making 200k coaching here. You might not leave your job for a 300k raise, but I most certainly would. So because of that I will never fault a guy for doing the same thing.

I don't know what you could pay people on this board to do. I know for myself, if you are going to pay me $300,000 more to do the same job I'm doing now somewhere else; I'm going somewhere else. :shrug:
Yeah, that last comment I made was ******. Probably should left that out.

It is quite a bit more money no doubt. For whatever reason it just rubs me wrong and again, I can't say for sure I wouldn't do the same. It's probably my fandom for MSU that has me thinking if I were in the same position I would stay a coach at MSU for a little longer. If only MSU would give me a shot. :D
No offense taken!

In regards to what MSU needs to do different to keep young and up and coming coaches, the only thing I see changing that is if we become a basketball power like Gonzaga. As it stands we're a mid-major from a pretty weak mid-major conference. Any coach that has success is going to get offers to coach at better schools with better pay. Much better pay. So I simply think this is our reality unless we become a power.

That or we just need to get really lucky and land a guy who wants nothing more than to live in Bozeman and money isn't really an object. That seems almost more far-fetched than becoming a basketball power to me.

In the end, I'll be happy if we continue losing coaches to a promotion, rather than being forced to fire them for terrible results. If we keep losing guys to better jobs, that's an indicator we have a pretty good program. I'm hoping if and when Danny leaves, that he is the first of many who leave with the same opportunities.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:25 pm

My though on this is if they want to give him less than "scale" I would think he'd be hesitant because they want to have him prove himself first. Then if he doesn't instantly put them right beside Gonzaga and the rest, they let him go and they actually pay another up and coming coach who has more D1 wins.

If they pay him commensurate with the rest of the league, he has to think he is the coach they really want and then it would be up to him to decide if he thinks he can build a program to compete with the others. If not I think he might stick around MSU and see if he can make himself the coach who can get the money right away.

2024 Resume dominance

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:42 pm

Basketball is over now so what are our chances of retaining our coach? Also who else is moving on as it looks like to me we have two guys coming in and only one leaving with a scholarship?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:42 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:42 pm
Basketball is over now so what are our chances of retaining our coach? Also who else is moving on as it looks like to me we have two guys coming in and only one leaving with a scholarship?
There's almost nothing to be found online on the San Diego coaching search - either great job by them to keep things under wraps or maybe San Diego plays fourth fiddle to SDSU, USC, and UCLA in that area and just doesn't get much attention from the local media. I think you're right that MSU will need to cut one more scholarship with two incoming players and only one outgoing so far. Total speculation, but with the CSUN transfer likely taking Xavier's spot as the starting PG perhaps Spears or Tynes will decide they don't want to be the 2nd/3rd string guy for two more years and try to find somewhere that they can get more playing time. Also, I bet there are some teams out there in the MWC/WCC level who'd love to have a guy like Great Osobor for three more years.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:33 am

Looks like Danny signed a 4-year extension!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:35 am

YES!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:35 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:33 am

Woohoo, amazing news! I am guessing this includes a substantial and well-deserved bump in salary.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:36 am

wbtfg wrote:

Hope that contract has a big number on the buy out for when some school comes calling in the next couple years.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:04 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:35 am
wbtfg wrote:

Woohoo, amazing news! I am guessing this includes a substantial and well-deserved bump in salary.
Any other details on the contract yet?

topshelfthepuck
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by topshelfthepuck » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:00 pm

Looks like USD is closing on a deal with Steve Lavin, former UCLA and St. John’s head man. Pretty impressive that Danny was in that kind of company for the job. No clue if they went to Lavin because sprinkle re-upped with MSU or he was a more favored guy. Either way I would say that’s pretty cool.

Lavin was a good recruiter but UCLA expectations were sky high and he did not reach those. Did a good job trying to get St. John’s out of the cellar.

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:13 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:35 am
wbtfg wrote:

Awesome news!

Well deserved Danny!

Good job MSU!

If not this year?.........When?

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:18 am