Something to Watch in the coming days

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Something to Watch in the coming days

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:04 am

Cledus wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:46 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:49 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:48 pm
Is the pay scale that much better in wcc. EWU coach last year now maybe sprinkle going. Maybe it is a negotiating tactic to get a better extension
Their coach made about $480,000 according to his 2019 filing. More than double what Sprinkle is currently making.
When adjusted for $7 gas and having to live in California it seems like a pay cut. :-k
Yeah, something tells me the cost of living is higher in San Diego, regardless of how much his house costs.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:23 am

If MSU ever wants to be perennial mid-major, ala South Dakota State, we're going to have to pay our coaches more. The college landscape (at least the major sports) is becoming so divided among those who can pay and those who cannot, it's striking.

As of 2020 Sprinkle had the 6th highest base salary in the Big Sky, that just isn't going to cut it, especially with the rising costs for just living in Bozeman. We need to put out a base of at least $200k, even $225k if we hope to attract and retain a good coach for more than 3 years.

On the flip side Binford is the highest paid women's coach in the conference.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:42 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:23 am
If MSU ever wants to be perennial mid-major, ala South Dakota State, we're going to have to pay our coaches more. The college landscape (at least the major sports) is becoming so divided among those who can pay and those who cannot, it's striking.

As of 2020 Sprinkle had the 6th highest base salary in the Big Sky, that just isn't going to cut it, especially with the rising costs for just living in Bozeman. We need to put out a base of at least $200k, even $225k if we hope to attract and retain a good coach for more than 3 years.

Does MSU pull the same $h!t with coaches as they (and every other employee in town) do with their other employees? "But you get to live in Bozeman!" Or is there some other reason why they don't pay better than every other school in the conference? This goes for everyone below the head coaches and deans as well. New buildings are cool and all but employees need to get paid better to move to, and stay in, Bozeman.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:25 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:42 am
CelticCat wrote:

Does MSU pull the same $h!t with coaches as they (and every other employee in town) do with their other employees? "But you get to live in Bozeman!" Or is there some other reason why they don't pay better than every other school in the conference? This goes for everyone below the head coaches and deans as well. New buildings are cool and all but employees need to get paid better to move to, and stay in, Bozeman.
I could be wrong, but I think a big hurdle is that coach’s salaries have to be approved by the Board of Regents and they will not allow a big difference between MSU and dUMb. Along with us basically keeping um alive financially with our subsidies, the better we do athletically gets hindered by um and the BOR.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:36 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:25 pm
coloradocat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think a big hurdle is that coach’s salaries have to be approved by the Board of Regents and they will not allow a big difference between MSU and dUMb. Along with us basically keeping um alive financially with our subsidies, the better we do athletically gets hindered by um and the BOR.
I thought about that. I remember back when we extended Choate the timing and length were dictated by the BOR. I wonder if the balance restrictions apply to everything or just the base salary (I assume both because it would be so easy to manipulate).

Housewright mentioned that Ifanse has a nicer truck than he does. Maybe some of the local businesses need to start giving the coaches NIL deals.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:39 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:39 pm
If Sprinke ends up getting/taking this job, what does the future hold for MSU basketball if we can't even get an alumni coach to stick around for more than 3 years? How does MSU ever break out of the "once every 20 years we are good" mold?
In other words, who on the current team will return as a seasoned coach in 20 years and lead us to the 2042 NCAA tournament?

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:48 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:54 am
tetoncat wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:13 pm
This is article on Decuire. If all incentives are met he makes over $400k, $165 k just in money game income if get them on schedule and they have last few years.

https://www.ktvq.com/sports/big-sky-con ... -grizzlies
Ok. Sprinkle currently does not have those game revenue bonuses in his contract with MSU. Hopefully MSU is able to offer him something like that to make it more likely he stays in the event that the rumors are true about San Diego being interested.
That was my original point. Would he be able to use I terriers to get additional contact changes.

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:40 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:36 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:25 pm
coloradocat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I thought about that. I remember back when we extended Choate the timing and length were dictated by the BOR. I wonder if the balance restrictions apply to everything or just the base salary (I assume both because it would be so easy to manipulate).

Housewright mentioned that Ifanse has a nicer truck than he does. Maybe some of the local businesses need to start giving the coaches NIL deals.
They do, but not a lot. I’ve seen Sprink in a local commercial for a fitness center. I remember Ash doing the Mountain hot tub commercials. Head coaches and some assistants also get free vehicles from local dealers.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:51 am

I suppose we'll get Danny to coach us to our next Big Sky Championship and date to the Dance on his way to retirement in 20 years.

2024 Resume dominance

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:12 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:04 am
Cledus wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:46 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:49 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:48 pm
Is the pay scale that much better in wcc. EWU coach last year now maybe sprinkle going. Maybe it is a negotiating tactic to get a better extension
Their coach made about $480,000 according to his 2019 filing. More than double what Sprinkle is currently making.
When adjusted for $7 gas and having to live in California it seems like a pay cut. :-k
Yeah, something tells me the cost of living is higher in San Diego, regardless of how much his house costs.
It was a joke.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:18 pm

Nothing definitive of course but this doesn't sound like a guy who has one foot out the door on his way to San DIego.