WBB at Stanford NCAA tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Re: WBB at Stanford NCAA tournament

Post by WYCAT » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:48 pm

I think we're going to set the record in both turnovers and air balls tonight. Yikes

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:51 pm

CPACAT wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:42 pm
nevadacat wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:39 pm
In spite of the score, I think they are playing better than the men did.
You can’t be serious
It’s relative, not absolute.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:54 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:51 pm
CPACAT wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:42 pm
nevadacat wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:39 pm
In spite of the score, I think they are playing better than the men did.
You can’t be serious
It’s relative, not absolute.
I think one thing is for certain both teams drew a about the worst team they could.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:00 pm

Boise was fun…
Get a better seed next year.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:28 pm

Who is Darian Wilson? Haven’t seen her this season.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:42 pm

I think the men and women just lost to final four teams and a potential national championship team

4KornerKat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 4KornerKat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:46 pm

Yes, tough draws for both teams, but learning experience, both had incredible seasons.

Still a great day to be a Bobcat

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RICO CAT » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:12 pm

Darian Wilson seemed a little off tonight. But seriously, there is a reason Stanford is the number 1 ranked team and It showed. They are indeed an elite team. As good as the Cats were this year, there is always something bigger and badder out there. I for one have really enjoyed watching them play this season.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:37 pm

Just got back to the hotel from the game. The final score was about what I expected but dang I wish MSU had been able to hit a shot or two in the first quarter. Pretty amazing to watch Big 12 and ACC teams and then Stanford who are just unbelievably athletic and skilled.

Kudos to the MSU band, they stole the show! Nice to see Costello and Cruzado in attendance after the men's game earlier in the day.

As Coach Binford said in her press conference yesterday, no matter the result of the game MSU will leave the arena a better team. Thank you Gabby and Ashley and Go Cats, the future is bright!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:12 am

What a great year!! Another building block in place. I am happy for their achievements and incredibly proud of the program. I wouldn’t trade our gang for anyone. Will miss Gabby and Ashley for sure — it seems like they’ve been around as long as Coach Bin! Seriously, they’ve been a part of at least three Big Sky Championship programs, be it regular season or tournament, and that’s quite an accomplishment. 💙💛😺

Is it only me that does not care for the dribble-drive offense and has been sorry to see it revived for the ‘Cats? If you don’t have some measure of physical superiority over your opponents, then it seems to put you in a bad place.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:18 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:12 am
What a great year!! Another building block in place. I am happy for their achievements and incredibly proud of the program. I wouldn’t trade our gang for anyone. Will miss Gabby and Ashley for sure — it seems like they’ve been around as long as Coach Bin! Seriously, they’ve been a part of at least three Big Sky Championship programs, be it regular season or tournament, and that’s quite an accomplishment. 💙💛😺

Is it only me that does not care for the dribble-drive offense and has been sorry to see it revived for the ‘Cats? If you don’t have some measure of physical superiority over your opponents, then it seems to put you in a bad place.
It is not just you. Dribble-drive is the worst offense unless you have highly athletic and intelligent players. Teams like the MSU women are intelligent (good BB IQ), but they don't have the players. Probably only the top end women's DI programs have the players to do this and that might be a stretch. A lot of college men's teams can't run it well. It's too much, but you see tons of high school teams doing it. This is one reason scoring is so low in HS ranks. A very good former college head coach once told me there are a lot of bad coaches in high school basketball and he concurs that dribble-drive is a bad offense, but he thinks a lot of coaches run it because it takes the onus off the coach and all the decision-making falls on the players. You have to be able to read and react and while they pull it off at times, they usually end up forcing bad shots or turning it over. Bad shots because they force the drive into double/triple teams instead of kicking out or dumping off. Turnovers because they make the wrong read, or they can't make a pass across their bodies or get their bodies in position to make a good pass. Once teams catch on that you're running it, it's simple to shut down. You just take away the drive and force them to pass the ball, which they are reluctant to do because they're heading north and can only go NE or NW with a pass. Anything east or west or SW/SE is either going to be slow or off target and the intended receiver will have to gather the ball in to set up to shoot and by then the defense is back in position.

It only seems to work well when you have a physical/athletic superiority, because guess what? When you have a physical/athletic superiority almost everything works well. That superiority comes from the other just being really bad. It's Fool's Gold.

As always, good coaches look at what they have and develop an offense for those players.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:55 pm

Well, I have a feeling that both Taylor Jansen and Montana State will be somewhat "immortalized" for quite some time on highlight reels with that impressive dunk by the young lady from Stanford. She stole it from Taylor think dunked the heck out of it. The Big Sky is a long way from the top teams. With no "mid level" league like the FCS in football, we will have to be content with enjoying conference play. Which I thoroughly did this year! Looking forward to next year already.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:44 pm

Mercer just got 20-0'd in the third quarter against UConn. Nice to know MSU isn't the only team it happened to!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:48 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:44 pm
Mercer just got 20-0'd in the third quarter against UConn. Nice to know MSU isn't the only team it happened to!
Something similar happens regularly in the first round of the women’s tournament.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:19 pm

I had tweeted that TT shooting almost 70% was unbeatable. A tweet from the west simply said then play better D... I guess the LADIES should just have played better D...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:18 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:19 pm
I had tweeted that TT shooting almost 70% was unbeatable. A tweet from the west simply said then play better D... I guess the LADIES should just have played better D...
Not much they could do. There were so many mismatches when Stanford had the ball. I think they could’ve gotten a point blank shot on every possession. Almost did, but just chose not to.

toM StUber

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:12 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:12 am

Just a minor point here on eligibility. Both Ashley and Gabbi technically could play another year……Ashley sat a year with the foot injury and can play another year due to Covid but Ashley being a graduate student, my opinion only, I really think she is moving on with life. However when Gabbi, who is a senior academically, was asked before the Big Sky tourney she indicated she is going on to graduate school someplace……it’s feasible she could do grad school here in Bozeman and she even joked about that possibility in the discussion……..Coach Bin will certainly have some thoughts on that considering the scholarship situation with all the new folks coming in. Coach typically has those discussions with each player in the late April/May time frame.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:24 pm

aucat wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:55 pm
Well, I have a feeling that both Taylor Jansen and Montana State will be somewhat "immortalized" for quite some time on highlight reels with that impressive dunk by the young lady from Stanford. She stole it from Taylor think dunked the heck out of it. The Big Sky is a long way from the top teams. With no "mid level" league like the FCS in football, we will have to be content with enjoying conference play. Which I thoroughly did this year! Looking forward to next year already.
I am foolishly keeping the optimism….I’ll keep selling the message. The recruiting keeps getting stronger. Success breeds success.

Both of the South Dakota schools have been in the Sweet 16 in the last decade. South Dakota knocked off Baylor today to earn there way in. And South Dakota State did it earlier. SDSU has several 1st round wins and made semis in the WNIT. We’ve got to start winning some of the pre-season games against upper division opponents to match a season Championship to get a better seed.

We can get there he says with fingers crossed. And quietly wondering how many more seasons I can hope at my age.
Last edited by BobcatDel on Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:34 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:48 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:44 pm
Something similar happens regularly in the first round of the women’s tournament.
Sometimes it even happens in the Final Four. Last year South Carolina held Texas scoreless in the 4th quarter of the Final Four semi-final game.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:35 pm

Stanford starting to boat race Kansas after a very close first half. They're a machine when they get it rolling.