WBB at Stanford NCAA tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: WBB at Stanford NCAA tournament

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:10 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:12 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:12 am
What a great year!! Another building block in place. I am happy for their achievements and incredibly proud of the program. I wouldn’t trade our gang for anyone. Will miss Gabby and Ashley for sure — it seems like they’ve been around as long as Coach Bin! Seriously, they’ve been a part of at least three Big Sky Championship programs, be it regular season or tournament, and that’s quite an accomplishment. 💙💛😺

Is it only me that does not care for the dribble-drive offense and has been sorry to see it revived for the ‘Cats? If you don’t have some measure of physical superiority over your opponents, then it seems to put you in a bad place.
Just a minor point here on eligibility. Both Ashley and Gabbi technically could play another year……Ashley sat a year with the foot injury and can play another year due to Covid but Ashley being a graduate student, my opinion only, I really think she is moving on with life. However when Gabbi, who is a senior academically, was asked before the Big Sky tourney she indicated she is going on to graduate school someplace……it’s feasible she could do grad school here in Bozeman and she even joked about that possibility in the discussion……..Coach Bin will certainly have some thoughts on that considering the scholarship situation with all the new folks coming in. Coach typically has those discussions with each player in the late April/May time frame.
Gabbi deserves a chance to run it back, but she needs to rebound and block out better. The issue is Taylor Janssen has earned more playing time and is a future star. It’s her turn! Gabbi might be back, but see her playing time decreased. The future of the program is huge! A question that has to be asked is can Binford take the program to the next level! Does her vision for the program align with the administration’s? Winning the BSC is great, but I’m thinking Costello is looking to be competitive on a higher level. Some of our losses are maddening. The program has the potential to raise it another level. It’s going to be interesting the next 3 years. I know Sprinkle has the desire to be one of the best mid majors! Does Binford have the same desire after 17 years leading the program?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:43 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:10 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:12 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
What a great year!! Another building block in place. I am happy for their achievements and incredibly proud of the program. I wouldn’t trade our gang for anyone. Will miss Gabby and Ashley for sure — it seems like they’ve been around as long as Coach Bin! Seriously, they’ve been a part of at least three Big Sky Championship programs, be it regular season or tournament, and that’s quite an accomplishment. 💙💛😺

Is it only me that does not care for the dribble-drive offense and has been sorry to see it revived for the ‘Cats? If you don’t have some measure of physical superiority over your opponents, then it seems to put you in a bad place.
Just a minor point here on eligibility. Both Ashley and Gabbi technically could play another year……Ashley sat a year with the foot injury and can play another year due to Covid but Ashley being a graduate student, my opinion only, I really think she is moving on with life. However when Gabbi, who is a senior academically, was asked before the Big Sky tourney she indicated she is going on to graduate school someplace……it’s feasible she could do grad school here in Bozeman and she even joked about that possibility in the discussion……..Coach Bin will certainly have some thoughts on that considering the scholarship situation with all the new folks coming in. Coach typically has those discussions with each player in the late April/May time frame.
Gabbi deserves a chance to run it back, but she needs to rebound and block out better. The issue is Taylor Janssen has earned more playing time and is a future star. It’s her turn! Gabbi might be back, but see her playing time decreased. The future of the program is huge! A question that has to be asked is can Binford take the program to the next level! Does her vision for the program align with the administration’s? Winning the BSC is great, but I’m thinking Costello is looking to be competitive on a higher level. Some of our losses are maddening. The program has the potential to raise it another level. It’s going to be interesting the next 3 years. I know Sprinkle has the desire to be one of the best mid majors! Does Binford have the same desire after 17 years leading the program?
Quite different personalities between Coach Sprinkle and Binford. Coach Sprinkle more fiery and animated and extroverted….Coach Bin more quiet and strong but a lot of fire inside. But both are winners and if I was a player I would want to play for them. I know Coach Binford clearly wants to raise the team to the next rung and win games against the next level up. I have noticed her efforts to increase the difficulty of pre-season competition and she has articulated she wants to win NCAA games…but I like the way you said “be one of the best mid-majors”…it sets a higher vision/standard than just winning an NCAA game or two.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:43 am

After watching Stanford score 91 on Kansas, I don’t think our team should feel too bad about their performance. They are really good and probably going to be back to back champions.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:32 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:18 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

It is not just you. Dribble-drive is the worst offense unless you have highly athletic and intelligent players. Teams like the MSU women are intelligent (good BB IQ), but they don't have the players. Probably only the top end women's DI programs have the players to do this and that might be a stretch. A lot of college men's teams can't run it well. It's too much, but you see tons of high school teams doing it. This is one reason scoring is so low in HS ranks. A very good former college head coach once told me there are a lot of bad coaches in high school basketball and he concurs that dribble-drive is a bad offense, but he thinks a lot of coaches run it because it takes the onus off the coach and all the decision-making falls on the players. You have to be able to read and react and while they pull it off at times, they usually end up forcing bad shots or turning it over. Bad shots because they force the drive into double/triple teams instead of kicking out or dumping off. Turnovers because they make the wrong read, or they can't make a pass across their bodies or get their bodies in position to make a good pass. Once teams catch on that you're running it, it's simple to shut down. You just take away the drive and force them to pass the ball, which they are reluctant to do because they're heading north and can only go NE or NW with a pass. Anything east or west or SW/SE is either going to be slow or off target and the intended receiver will have to gather the ball in to set up to shoot and by then the defense is back in position.

It only seems to work well when you have a physical/athletic superiority, because guess what? When you have a physical/athletic superiority almost everything works well. That superiority comes from the other just being really bad. It's Fool's Gold.

As always, good coaches look at what they have and develop an offense for those players.
Agree with this. Coaches let themselves think their players are better than they actually are and next thing you know they’re in over their head. Then coach is too stubborn to change.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:38 pm

Watching Stanford against Maryland in the sweet 16. Stanford up 39-25 or something like that at halftime. They are really, really, really good.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:18 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:38 pm
Watching Stanford against Maryland in the sweet 16. Stanford up 39-25 or something like that at halftime. They are really, really, really good.
Stanford was up so much, before Maryland finally made a run, that I was thinking they might exceed the margin of victory from the MSU game. I was seeing some major disappointment in the eyes of some of the Maryland players, and frustration in their actions on the court. Certainly they had very high expectations, but I was proud of our team’s demeanor. If Stanford gets beaten it will be one way only — physically pound on them (called fouling) and hold, clutch, pin and trip. (For reference, see the Gonzaga Men’s team’s exit.) Stanford is a fine basketball team. I’d love to see them play in person.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:42 pm

The disparity between the 68 teams in the men’s tournament is probably less than the disparity between the top 32 in the women’s tournament.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:38 am

Stanford vs UConn, should be fun to watch two powerhouses battle it out.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:42 pm
The disparity between the 68 teams in the men’s tournament is probably less than the disparity between the top 32 in the women’s tournament.
Yes, I'm hoping women's basketball is on its way to getting that parity, but I think a women's tournament doesn't need to be 68 teams as far as competition goes. Only once has a 14 seed or higher won a game in the women's tournament. You could probably name almost every women's champion without looking it up: Tennesse and UCONN have won 19 of the 39 championships held. Throw in Stanford and Baylor and you've got most of them covered. Big Sky teams need to pretty much run the table in league games and win some good non-conference stuff to get something like a 10 seed where you're not playing one of the powers.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:48 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:42 pm
Yes, I'm hoping women's basketball is on its way to getting that parity, but I think a women's tournament doesn't need to be 68 teams as far as competition goes. Only once has a 14 seed or higher won a game in the women's tournament. You could probably name almost every women's champion without looking it up: Tennesse and UCONN have won 19 of the 39 championships held. Throw in Stanford and Baylor and you've got most of them covered. Big Sky teams need to pretty much run the table in league games and win some good non-conference stuff to get something like a 10 seed where you're not playing one of the powers.
The men started out much smaller then expanded over the years. I remember it being 32 teams. There used to be a lot less conferences and not so many automatic bids. Not saying the women should do that. Just reminiscing.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:48 pm

Darian White needs to work on this move. I know she can do it!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:10 pm

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:44 pm

I loved watching the Stanford vs. UCONN game. It was played as basketball with much less hockey thrown in. The teams went lengthy stretches with no fouls being called to start the first and third quarters — and there were pretty much no fouls to be called. Superior athletes on each team. Fouls mounted as they tired near halftime, and of course end of game. I was actually a little surprised that UCONN won, but their defense did a good job all around on Stanford. Lexie Hull had looked pretty unstoppable in previous games. Paige Bueckers looked pretty unstoppable in this one.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:48 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:10 pm
That's awesome. The South Carolina point guard's game looked a lot like Darian's to me.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:35 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:44 pm
I loved watching the Stanford vs. UCONN game. It was played as basketball with much less hockey thrown in. The teams went lengthy stretches with no fouls being called to start the first and third quarters — and there were pretty much no fouls to be called. Superior athletes on each team. Fouls mounted as they tired near halftime, and of course end of game. I was actually a little surprised that UCONN won, but their defense did a good job all around on Stanford. Lexie Hull had looked pretty unstoppable in previous games. Paige Bueckers looked pretty unstoppable in this one.
And Lexie is leaving to jump into the Women's draft...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:04 pm

This is as good a place as any to place this

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:22 am

Wow. That’s a great choice. I noticed at the tournament when she talked about meeting Kola that she displayed some first-hand knowledge of Montana.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:25 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:04 pm
This is as good a place as any to place this
She had that conversation with Kola Bad Bear after the game and told her she knew about what she'd been doing. She's friends with a woman named Vikki Howard, who works at Western. Guessing that's the connection, because that seems like a great get for Western!

Incidentally, Vanderveer's first win as a coach was against MSU Northern (Northern MT College).