Bracketology

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bracketology

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:19 pm

https://bigskyconf.com/news/2022/3/14/m ... tions.aspx

SUU, UNC, and EWU have bids to smaller tournaments. Sounds like Weber State opted out and montana either wasn't picked or opted out. I would have thought the gris would have gotten in ahead of EWU so they must have opted out.

The ISU women are in the WNIT.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:54 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:19 pm

SUU, UNC, and EWU have bids to smaller tournaments. Sounds like Weber State opted out and montana either wasn't picked or opted out. I would have thought the gris would have gotten in ahead of EWU so they must have opted out.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:40 pm

rivercat wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:54 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

19 wins and 11 losses and a first-game loss in the tournament. That pretty well shuts the door.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:27 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:40 pm
rivercat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

19 wins and 11 losses and a first-game loss in the tournament. That pretty well shuts the door.
"Some who believed"?!?!?!?! LOL!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:23 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:34 pm
If the men play like they did against UNC in the title game I honestly think we have an excellent chance of upsetting Texas Tech. On the other hand, while I think the ladies did a fabulous job winning the Big Sky tournament, I just don't think we have the big inside folks to compete with an upper tier women's program, whether it be Stanford, Uconn, Tenn, South Carolina, etc. I know that Sprinkle will have MSU ready to play with confidence. I hope Binford instills the right attitude to go out and play with confidence and not be intimidated by Stanford.
I was going to say the same thing about the Lady Cats….if I had to pick the key disparity matchup it will be the inside game. We have just not been able to compete on boards this year…some games with substantial rebounding margins. At the next level we will need to have a stronger board presence and continue our excellence in few turnovers to have a chance against Stanford. I think our guard play and outside shooting can compete and maybe surprise.

I think everyone on this board knows that we are playing against Coach Tara VanDerveer at Stanford, who has more wins than any woman’s coach in history…yes more than Pat Summit and just ahead of Geno at UCONN. If you read the excellent Wall Street Journal article about her, you would think you might be reading about Coach Bin…everyday and every practice she demands consistency or as Coach Bin says “chop wood…carry water” every day and every day and every day….and she creates a great positive culture in the program. Her teams play with discipline and excellence.

I also agree that if Texas Tech men are “sleeping on us” and looking to the next game they may get a surprise. I think TT handles us but hey wouldn’t it be fun to have a great game and come away with an upset….

If you listened to the players interviews for both the men and women there were several that commented how they dreamed as a small girl or boy of playing in the NCAA tourney. Kola even talked about how she filled in her bracket sheets every year. One thing I would tell the kids is to enjoy the experience and have fun…you are living a dream that most athletes will never experience in their lifetimes and you are here doing it… something you can relish the rest of your life and tell your own children about…..play your hearts out and know when the day is done you did your best!

And know that every Bobcat fan is behind you and proud of you….how you represent the school, how you play the game and all that you accomplish on and off the field.

WyomingGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WyomingGrizFan » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:37 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Really. Gutless wonders.

They can win at home, most occasionally, but can they ever, ever win a game on the road?

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:34 am

WyomingGrizFan wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:37 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Really. Gutless wonders.

They can win at home, most occasionally, but can they ever, ever win a game on the road?
That's an asshole thing to say. You're either trolling or a real dick

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:17 pm

He's a Griz fan saying that about the Griz.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:19 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:17 pm
He's a Griz fan saying that about the Griz.
I know. Anyone that calls student athletes "gutless wonders" is a real dick.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:25 pm

rivercat wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:34 am
WyomingGrizFan wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:37 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Really. Gutless wonders.

That's an asshole thing to say. You're either trolling or a real dick
The latter...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:57 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:36 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:37 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:05 pm
MSUBRONCO wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:29 pm
Stanford OUCH!!!
No kidding.
This is why I’m an advocate of having a FCS-style division for basketball. The BSC has been irrelevant in the tournament. I wouldn’t want the football team to be in a 64-68 team tournament and play a top 12, usually top 8 or better, team.
My fear is that we’d have a hard time recruiting/retaining against the higher level. Belo, Bishop, Battle, Adamu, Mohamed, Osobor and White, Bad Bear would most likely not be Bobcats.
Exactly!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:35 am

Don't know how many brackets there were but only 192 still intact...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:03 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:35 am
Don't know how many brackets there were but only 192 still intact...
Down to 81 after the first two games today.

https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/baske ... ournaments

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob

Re: Bracketology wac'd out style

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:38 pm

](*,)
"WAC altering basketball tournament formats by introducing bold new seeding concept based on advanced analytics" https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ytics/amp/

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bracketology wac'd out style

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:53 am

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:38 pm
](*,)
"WAC altering basketball tournament formats by introducing bold new seeding concept based on advanced analytics" https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ytics/amp/
I personally like this idea in a conference like the WAC that's big enough to require an unbalanced schedule. Wouldn't mind seeing the Big Sky use something like this as a seeding tiebreaker for two teams that split against each other in the regular season - instead of looking at head-to-head results against other individual teams, look at the entire season to see which team actually performed better!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:42 pm

I like this — except that the rankings and the methodology need to be clearly visible and understood by all teams all the time. You can’t go playing a whole schedule and then saying, “Oh, look, MSU lost out to Weber by 1/1000th of a mystery point.” Teams need to know exactly what they need to accomplish. I worry somewhat that it will detract from the excitement of the head-to-head, winner-take-all, late-season games.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:02 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:42 pm
I like this — except that the rankings and the methodology need to be clearly visible and understood by all teams all the time. You can’t go playing a whole schedule and then saying, “Oh, look, MSU lost out to Weber by 1/1000th of a mystery point.” Teams need to know exactly what they need to accomplish. I worry somewhat that it will detract from the excitement of the head-to-head, winner-take-all, late-season games.
I'd argue that the current tournament format of everyone playing at a neutral site already takes away much of the late-season excitement unless the regular season title is at stake. If the 4th place team gets the #3 seed and the 3rd place team gets the #4 seed due to the analytic formula it probably doesn't have much impact on either team's chances to win the tournament. I agree though that the system would need to be transparent to give teams the chance to schedule in a way that maximizes their standing under the formula.