Darian Freaking White!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Darian Freaking White!

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:50 pm

I know this is the football section but want everyone to know that Darian White is the TA of the lady 'Cats. Cats were down 77-68 after three quarters to Idaho, in Moscow, tonight. Blitzed the Vandals 28-7 in the 4th to win 96-84. Darian had 32 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds.

Go out of your way to watch this young lady and the rest of our girls play ball. Coach Bin has it going on.

PS: Men also won at Idaho State tonight. Men and women combined have won SEVENTEEN games in a row.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Darian Freaking White!

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:02 pm

+1

Cats bball teams are rollin! Both teams are so much fun to watch! And yes, darian white is just ridiculous.

Go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:21 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:50 pm
I know this is the football section but want everyone to know that Darian White is the TA of the lady 'Cats. Cats were down 77-68 after three quarters to Idaho, in Moscow, tonight. Blitzed the Vandals 28-7 in the 4th to win 96-84. Darian had 32 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds.

Go out of your way to watch this young lady and the rest of our girls play ball. Coach Bin has it going on.

PS: Men also won at Idaho State tonight. Men and women combined have won SEVENTEEN games in a row.
SEVENTEEN is crazy. We’ve had years they didn’t win that many total. The women looked totally out of sync and tired tonight, giving up open threes by the bushel. But I noticed we kept running and pushing the pace anyway — and I suspect our coaches and players knew that our depth was starting to wear them out. When Idaho cracked, it was all at once. I was really happy to see Ava playing tonight, because although she is still not playing well, we really needed that tenth pair of legs. Basketball is entertainment, and that was entertaining. Even the Idaho announcers agreed.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:00 pm

I watched that start to finish and let me just say it was alotta fun. I kept thinking Idaho has to go cold at some point. Live by the 3, die by the 3. Cats never wavered, kept grinding. Darian White is so much fun to watch, what a special player. I wish I lived closer so I could attend a few games.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:38 pm

I'm just finishing up watching the 4th quarter. Quote from the Idaho announcer (or close to it). She's used her left hand and her right hand and the way she's played tonight I wouldn't be surprised if she spawned a 3rd hand."

But not only did she score 32. She blocked a shot, had something like 8 assists, and was a demon on defense. She's simply magnificent.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:55 pm

The Idaho guys also commented that they were surprised to see that the Montana State roster had zero transfers, and all high school products. That again is a huge credit to our coach. It’s a lot of work to take on those young ones every year, but she’s reaping the rewards for doing so. I remember her comment at the beginning of last year how she had a self-imposed limit of five freshmen in any given recruiting class because any more was just too hard. And then Leia became available and she said that even though she was number six, she simply had to take her. Not many teams constructed that way, I would guess.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:24 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:55 pm
The Idaho guys also commented that they were surprised to see that the Montana State roster had zero transfers, and all high school products. That again is a huge credit to our coach. It’s a lot of work to take on those young ones every year, but she’s reaping the rewards for doing so. I remember her comment at the beginning of last year how she had a self-imposed limit of five freshmen in any given recruiting class because any more was just too hard. And then Leia became available and she said that even though she was number six, she simply had to take her. Not many teams constructed that way, I would guess.
Coach is indeed great at building the team from start to finish….but don’t forget, she does use transfers judiciously/selectively and successfully….just in my short few years back……Riley Noorgaard, Claire Lundberg, Martha Kuderer, Fallyn Freiji……all starters and significant contributors on very successful teams. And if you haven’t seen Grace Beasely, the transfer from UW who will be joining next year…..well if we can keep her, you are in for a treat.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:27 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:24 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:55 pm
Coach is indeed great at building the team from start to finish….but don’t forget, she does use transfers judiciously/selectively and successfully….just in my short few years back……Riley Noorgaard, Claire Lundberg, Martha Kuderer, Fallyn Freiji……all starters and significant contributors on very successful teams. And if you haven’t seen Grace Beasely, the transfer from UW who will be joining next year…..well if we can keep her, you are in for a treat.
Phenomenal win for the Cats last night. Early in the season, this team struggled a bit...but you knew they had tremendous upside. Now this team is starting to gel....congrats to Coach Bin and the team.

DwaineF
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DwaineF » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:07 am

Having a team without any transfers means you have built a program where the players feel like they are treated fairly. Nobody transferring out means that there isn't a bunch of room for incoming transfers. It is also important for having players inside a system over a period of time. The players are given time to really learn the system. When this happens the upper classmen are really good at running the system. Of course, if the system sucks, the team won't be very good. Coach Binford's system definitely doesn't suck. Way to go Lady Cats!!!! Keep up the great work!!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:08 am

DwaineF wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:07 am
Coach Binford's system definitely doesn't suck. Way to go Lady Cats!!!! Keep up the great work!!
A coach doesn't last 15+ years in the job if her system sucks.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:06 pm

Darian White is the best basketball player I've seen at MSU since my time being a Bobcat, circa 2002. I know 2002 men's team had some studs but I'm not sure they had a player you can straight build a program around like White. Not that Binford is doing that but you absolutely could. She is transcendent and I think she has an outside shot at the WNBA.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:20 pm

What's happened to Darian's shooting percentage this year???
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... rian-white

It's dropped from over 40% to 35% from the last 2 years to this year?

Are opponents guarding her differently and forcing her to make harder shots?
Are the shots just not dropping for her?
Is she not making the smartest shot selections this year?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:29 pm

wapiti wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:20 pm
What's happened to Darian's shooting percentage this year???
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... rian-white

It's dropped from over 40% to 35% from the last 2 years to this year?

Are opponents guarding her differently and forcing her to make harder shots?
Are the shots just not dropping for her?
Is she not making the smartest shot selections this year?
What will always hold Darian back offensively is the fact that she just hasn't been able to develop into a threat to score consistently from the outside. This year with a lot of the talent from the last two MSU teams having graduated she's clearly the #1 priority for opposing defenses which wasn't always the case in the past. Way fewer open lanes to the hoop, so more contested shots means a lower shooting percentage overall. I still think she's the best player in the Big Sky with how she can affect the game in so many ways other than putting up 20+ points every night.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu May 05, 2022 10:43 am

All the the dust has settled from the amazing 2021-22 season and I have to say Darian Freaking White is indeed freaking awesome. The Big Sky Conference posted this on twitter today. Enjoy!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri May 06, 2022 11:30 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:43 am
All the the dust has settled from the amazing 2021-22 season and I have to say Darian Freaking White is indeed freaking awesome. The Big Sky Conference posted this on twitter today. Enjoy!
=D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 06, 2022 11:41 am

[I like the picture with #0 Darian White and #5 Ava Ranson — once arch-rivals in Boise, now teammates.]

Darian was without a doubt the Defensive Player of the Year. Next? What should have happened this year — Defensive Player of the Year, Offensive Player of the Year, Big Sky MVP. I’m not saying this to be funny, but it won’t happen. It did happen this year, but only on paper. There’s no doubt in my mind that she was/is the Offensive MVP. #2 in scoring and #3 in assists + who would you choose to be on the court in crunch time? Darian. So if you have the same person that’s the DPOY and the OPOY, how can they not be the MVP? Darian, you’re the best and your fans know it! Best smile in the heat of battle, too! Go, ‘Cats, Go! 💙 💛 😺

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri May 06, 2022 3:10 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:41 am
[I like the picture with #0 Darian White and #5 Ava Ranson — once arch-rivals in Boise, now teammates.]

Darian was without a doubt the Defensive Player of the Year. Next? What should have happened this year — Defensive Player of the Year, Offensive Player of the Year, Big Sky MVP. I’m not saying this to be funny, but it won’t happen. It did happen this year, but only on paper. There’s no doubt in my mind that she was/is the Offensive MVP. #2 in scoring and #3 in assists + who would you choose to be on the court in crunch time? Darian. So if you have the same person that’s the DPOY and the OPOY, how can they not be the MVP? Darian, you’re the best and your fans know it! Best smile in the heat of battle, too! Go, ‘Cats, Go! 💙 💛 😺
I actually liked the move against Beyoncé Bea #5 from Idaho, another First Team all-conference player….…got her to follow out to the corner than took her back inside for the layup…as well as the nice inside moves against Whitman #20.

She’s my league MVP for sure through my blue and gold glasses…. But I also have to give a nod to Tillman from Sac State who won the award because she did lead the league in scoring and did lead the league in assists. I know I know you can argue either way….Tillman was a standout on a lesser team whereas Darian was a leader on a championship team. My vote would go to Darian.

What a great shout out from the conference!!!!