Actual Comments

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Actual Comments

Post by griz5700 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:29 am

Just heard his actual comments for the first time this morning.

I mean… WOWWW. For the record, no apology ever issued by Martello.

[media] [/media]

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Actual Comments

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:04 am

griz5700 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:29 am
Just heard his actual comments for the first time this morning.

I mean… WOWWW. For the record, no apology ever issued by Martello.

[media] [/media]

He was right…….. they missed the foul, but didn’t think his comments were appropriate for the game. I think Learfield and ESPN made the right decision. Respect the fact that others might feel differently.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:09 am

Apparently you didn't actually hear his comments or couldn't listen to an entire 23 second video. He realized he shouldn't have said it and said he was sorry. Beyond that he doesn't owe anyone an apology just because they decided to be offended about something.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:45 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:09 am
Apparently you didn't actually hear his comments or couldn't listen to an entire 23 second video. He realized he shouldn't have said it and said he was sorry. Beyond that he doesn't owe anyone an apology just because they decided to be offended about something.
Agree! He did apologize! He doesn’t owe anybody anything! I’m ok with him being benched. I was disappointed with his commentary on the size ( I don’t mean height) of the Weber State WBB players. I’m not sure, but I don’t think this is the first time that he’s been counseled on his non basketball comments. It’s great that now he has the time to sit at home and work in the mirror on his comedy act. I’m sure he’s a great guy, but like any employee or contract worker, there are expectations of performance and his employer didn’t feel that he met their standard! So they released him back to the industry. Happens every day!

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:35 pm

Listen to it. He said a Black student athlete is “South Side” Chicago because she attended St. Ignatius Prep Academy, and he said that equates to Portland “antifa.” For anyone familiar with Chicago, St. Ignatius Prep is northwest of Soldier Field (hardly “South Side”). So it’s clear he must have had something in mind besides geography. Hmmm.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:35 pm

Folks, the first thread about this got locked and rightfully so. This one's just heading down the same road to nowhere. Stick to sports on the sports boards.

Griznationalist

Post by Griznationalist » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:43 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:35 pm
Folks, the first thread about this got locked and rightfully so. This one's just heading down the same road to nowhere. Stick to sports on the sports boards.
Wise advice and good reminder.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm

Griznationalist wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:43 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Wise advice and good reminder.
Yep. Two griz trolls stirring the pot because they have nothing good to talk about on egriz.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:06 pm

Griznationalist wrote:
Listen to it. He said a Black student athlete is “South Side” Chicago because she attended St. Ignatius Prep Academy, and he said that equates to Portland “antifa.” For anyone familiar with Chicago, St. Ignatius Prep is northwest of Soldier Field (hardly “South Side”). So it’s clear he must have had something in mind besides geography. Hmmm.
Yep....here are a few other tidbits.

Annual Tuition: $19,850
Avg ACT Score: 29
Avg SAT Score: 1337
College: 97% of graduating seniors go on to a 4-year college. Most end up at an out of state private College/University.

St. Ignatius is a big time academic high school. It's too bad our announcer friend equates such a prestigious school with southside violence, and then draws a line to antifa in Portland. Clearly he had an agenda, which is strange for a women's basketball announcer.

Griznationalist

Post by Griznationalist » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:49 pm

This is a sports discussion. That student athlete is someone’s child. Her dream is probably to play basketball to the best of her ability and succeed in completing her college education. This incident is a good reminder for anyone behind a microphone on the public airwaves to treat people and talk about people with respect and dignity, without simply judging people by how they look or where they may come from. College and sports provide good life lessons.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:14 pm

Griznationalist wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:49 pm
This is a sports discussion. That student athlete is someone’s child. Her dream is probably to play basketball to the best of her ability and succeed in completing her college education. This incident is a good reminder for anyone behind a microphone on the public airwaves to treat people and talk about people with respect and dignity, without simply judging people by how they look or where they may come from. College and sports provide good life lessons.
I agree with you 100%! Sad that a grown man had to interject his view on the issue. Thank you for your comments. They’re very much appreciated!

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:52 am

There are some really lousy play by play radio announcers doing Griz and Cat games the past few years. They’re too self-centered and don’t know much about the players, especially on opposing teams. They obviously don’t do much homework and I assume that there isn’t much for the two schools to pick from.

This guy Martello is a two time loser. He couldn’t do the basics of his job, which was play by play, or articulate the fine details. Instead he just made things up apparently because he either thought he was smarter than everyone and he felt he was being informative or because he just didn’t care about anyone, including his family and friends. There are a lot of Martellos in Bozeman. Although there may be some that agree with him, I feel bad for them. Mostly I feel bad for the people he inappropriately directed his poor judgment and character toward. Hopefully, they’re just rolling their eyes at this complete tool.

Go Dark Brandon!!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:28 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:06 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Yep....here are a few other tidbits.

Annual Tuition: $19,850
Avg ACT Score: 29
Avg SAT Score: 1337
College: 97% of graduating seniors go on to a 4-year college. Most end up at an out of state private College/University.

St. Ignatius is a big time academic high school. It's too bad our announcer friend equates such a prestigious school with southside violence, and then draws a line to antifa in Portland. Clearly he had an agenda, which is strange for a women's basketball announcer.
Completely agree. There was a complete lack of professionalism and the decision to let him go was a very easy call.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:35 pm

I guess this clown never heard the phrase "stick to sports?"

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:53 pm

For the record, I fully support his no apology.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:18 pm

Catlady wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:45 am
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:09 am
Agree! He did apologize! He doesn’t owe anybody anything! I’m ok with him being benched. I was disappointed with his commentary on the size ( I don’t mean height) of the Weber State WBB players. I’m not sure, but I don’t think this is the first time that he’s been counseled on his non basketball comments. It’s great that now he has the time to sit at home and work in the mirror on his comedy act. I’m sure he’s a great guy, but like any employee or contract worker, there are expectations of performance and his employer didn’t feel that he met their standard! So they released him back to the industry. Happens every day!
Yep!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:57 pm

WOW WOW WOW Hold up…

He was 100% being sarcastic in the quick apology he gave on air.

So, no apology.

Thank goodness! No apology necessary. I guess the truth hurts =D^

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:10 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:57 pm
WOW WOW WOW Hold up…

So, no apology.

I think it might be time for you to go back to the Griz forum……… seems like you’re wearing out your welcome, visiting bobcat nation!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:06 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:10 pm
griz5700 wrote:
WOW WOW WOW Hold up…

So, no apology.

I think it might be time for you to go back to the Griz forum……… seems like you’re wearing out your welcome, visiting bobcat nation!
That’s alright. The gris over here lecturing us, now that’s funny — except it’s not.

grizgirl: There is NO PLACE on a sports board for the kind of personal attacks that were directed at Mark Martello and the broad-brush attack that was directed at Bozeman. “There are a lot of Martellos in Bozeman.” Now explain to all of us why your attack was morally better than what Mark said? You used an entirely improper vehicle to deliver an unwarranted personal attack (by name) and a, what to you, was a community smear. By my count you out Martello-ed Martello 3-2.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Griznationalist

Post by Griznationalist » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:14 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:06 pm
Ilikecats wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:10 pm
griz5700 wrote:
WOW WOW WOW Hold up…

So, no apology.

That’s alright. The gris over here lecturing us, now that’s funny — except it’s not.

There is NO PLACE on a sports board for the kind of personal attacks that were directed at Mark Martello and the broad-brush attack that was directed at Bozeman. “There are a lot of Martellos in Bozeman.” Now explain to all of us why your attack was morally better than what Mark said? You used an entirely improper vehicle to deliver an unwarranted personal attack (by name) and a, what to you, was a community smear. By my count you out Martello-ed Martello 3-2.
You don’t get it. The majority of Bobcat fans who have commented here support Learfield’s decision to pull the plug on him. He called a Black female student athlete “South Side” Chicago without a shred of accuracy or justification, and he equated her and her team with “antifa.” Stupid racist comments will not be tolerated. Good riddance.