Announcer let go?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Announcer let go?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:35 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:23 pm
Somebody with too much time on their hands needs to go back through everything Joe Terry has ever written and every social media post and let the world know if anything wasn't up to today's standards in any way. Be sure to @ his boss.
Well, his word usage was incorrect.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:54 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Somebody with too much time on their hands needs to go back through everything Joe Terry has ever written and every social media post and let the world know if anything wasn't up to today's standards in any way. Be sure to @ his boss.
Does he have a boss? I always got the impression he was a free lance guy.

Also, why are we trying to kill the messenger? He didn't suspend Martello....

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:00 pm

..Liberal scrambling to get on same page about why they are offended and who to direct their phony outrage on….

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:14 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:56 pm
Learfield made the decision, not MSU. I think firing is a bit harsh but I don't have a problem with it either.

And yes, there were a handful of complaints on Twitter, but it didn't get much traction so not many people saw it - this is a story that could easily blow up if Retweeted by someone with some prominence.
10 comments on the original. 10 retweets. Only three tweets seemed to have an “issue” with the tweet and two were from the same guy. But go ahead and fire the MSU announcer. The controversy was overwhelming. Ridiculous. Another example of PC to the extreme.

Lastly, one of the comments sarcastically stated ESPN won’t allow political commentary, then to make his point, he posted an ESPN tweet with players kneeling during the national anthem.

ESPN is not Learfield. Martello did not work for ESPN.

I also agreed that firing is a bit much, I think a suspension and apology would have sufficed.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:25 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:54 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Does he have a boss? I always got the impression he was a free lance guy.

Also, why are we trying to kill the messenger? He didn't suspend Martello....
I have no idea who he is but if he's so eager (multiple tweets and replies) to get someone in trouble for what they said (he @'d Leon) I'm sure he'd have no issue with anyone bringing up his own past. There's no reason he should be immune to similar treatment.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:30 pm

griz5700 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:00 pm
..Liberal scrambling to get on same page about why they are offended and who to direct their phony outrage on….
The people on this thread who couldn't have named MSU's women's basketball announcer 48 hours ago but are now trying to figure out who to direct phony outrage against definitely aren't liberals.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:36 pm

I’m good with removing him. He’s made a ton of comments worse than the Antifa comment. We can watch a game without having to hear comments about Women’s body type. I thought during the Weber State game he was totally out of line and should’ve been reprimanded. It’s not about being politically correct, It’s about treating people with dignity and respect. These young adults are out there working hard to compete. I thought he could’ve called the game without commenting on physical characteristics of the Weber State players. Maybe after serving his suspension he’ll be more respectful in how he provides commentary.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:28 pm
For F sakes…. Antifa is a terrorist organization that created chaos and crime across the country. Give the guy a reprimand, but termination is sending the wrong message.
I agree, it’s not like he stormed the capitol and put democracy at risk! He didn’t take a crap on the floor of the capitol. Wait a second……… that wasn’t Antifa was it?

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:13 pm

Catlady wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:36 pm
I’m good with removing him. He’s made a ton of comments worse than the Antifa comment. We can watch a game without having to hear comments about Women’s body type. I thought during the Weber State game he was totally out of line and should’ve been reprimanded. It’s not about being politically correct, It’s about treating people with dignity and respect. These young adults are out there working hard to compete. I thought he could’ve called the game without commenting on physical characteristics of the Weber State players. Maybe after serving his suspension he’ll be more respectful in how he provides commentary.
What did he say?

Maybe this was kind of the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

In his recent tweet, Victor Flores has an article on it with video of the game mixed with the radio audio. It sounds to me like Martello is trying to work in something where he can make a comment. He talks earlier about a girl being from a Chicago high school and then uses that to lead into a comment about Portland looking like South side Chicago. Then later he drops his comment. He had an agenda. Our and simple. I also think he sounds flippant when he says "uh oh I don't think I'm supposed to say that".

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:13 pm

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:27 pm

What a joke.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:34 pm

I literally LOLd

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:44 pm

Here's one of the things he said:
About two minutes after the South Side remark, MSU's Kola Bad Bear got the ball inside and missed a post shot. Martello said on the air that Bad Bear "got fouled two or three times" on the play, but no foul was called.

"Evidently, Cats are up 19, Portland can get away with whatever they're going to get away with," Martello said on the broadcast. "Portland's like antifa after a riot. They might go to jail, but they get out right away. They can get away with it."

How do you break out the roles?
Which entity was he comparing to Antifa? He compared something/someone to antifa. When he says Portland, does he mean Portland the city or Portland the PSU women's basketball team.

Which entity was he comparing to the police/legal system? When he says 'They might go to jail, but they get out right away.' who's letting them out of jail? Is he talking about real jail or the refs?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:10 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:27 pm
What a joke.
He was hired to do the game, not provide political commentary. The joke is that he allowed himself to become the story…….. really don’t care if he’s liberal or conservative. I think the program is better off without him!

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 pm

Fact of the matter, right, wrong, left, or right. If you’re standing next to a microphone you have to be smart and thought out when you’re speaking. He wasn’t and this was the consequence of his action. Isn’t that what we try and teach the youth? Consequences to your actions?

I think that there were different views on the Gris kid a couple months ago…. And this is a grown man we’re talking about here.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:26 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:24 pm
Fact of the matter, right, wrong, left, or right. If you’re standing next to a microphone you have to be smart and thought out when you’re speaking. He wasn’t and this was the consequence of his action. Isn’t that what we try and teach the youth? Consequences to your actions?

I think that there were different views on the Gris kid a couple months ago…. And this is a grown man we’re talking about here.
Not remotely comparable.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:34 pm

Don’t make a divisive political joke on a sports broadcast, pretty obvious. Imagine like Troy Aikman making that joke, Joe Buck, pick your big time announcer.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:49 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Be careful…. Some posters on here would say that is stalking….

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:59 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:14 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:56 pm
Learfield made the decision, not MSU. I think firing is a bit harsh but I don't have a problem with it either.

And yes, there were a handful of complaints on Twitter, but it didn't get much traction so not many people saw it - this is a story that could easily blow up if Retweeted by someone with some prominence.
10 comments on the original. 10 retweets. Only three tweets seemed to have an “issue” with the tweet and two were from the same guy. But go ahead and fire the MSU announcer. The controversy was overwhelming. Ridiculous. Another example of PC to the extreme.

Lastly, one of the comments sarcastically stated ESPN won’t allow political commentary, then to make his point, he posted an ESPN tweet with players kneeling during the national anthem.

ESPN is not Learfield. Martello did not work for ESPN.

I also agreed that firing is a bit much, I think a suspension and apology would have sufficed.
Sorry for the confusion, but I wasn’t indicating that Martello worked for ESPN. I was just responding to someone else’s previous post that ESPN won’t allow political statements trying to justify Learfield firing Martel. That is false. ESPN will allow political statements, but only those political statements that they agree with.

My main point though is that nobody was outraged by this except for maybe two tweets. If Learfield does nothing, the whole issue would have been dead.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:01 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:28 pm
For F sakes…. Antifa is a terrorist organization that created chaos and crime across the country. Give the guy a reprimand, but termination is sending the wrong message.
I agree, it’s not like he stormed the capitol and put democracy at risk! He didn’t take a crap on the floor of the capitol. Wait a second……… that wasn’t Antifa was it?
Huh? Are you trying to defend Antifa as not being a terrorist entity?