Cats at PSU Vikings

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Cats at PSU Vikings

Post by lv2hoop » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:46 pm

A road sweep needed so the men can hang with the top 4 in the conference at this stage of the season.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cats at PSU Vikings

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:29 pm

Adamu and Fernandez aren't on the trip due to protocols. All that more impressive beating NAU without Adamu who I think is one of our best players.
PSU game starting out a little shaky. Way too many turnovers. PSU isn't making us pay yet though.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:57 pm

A Gazelas three puts up by three at the half. PSU announcer: "That Battle is bouncy". Battle had a good shift out there. Belo sat the last 6 minutes with 2 fouls. Osobor is doing a good job inside.

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:16 pm

13 point lead with 15:35 left. This team is versatile. Let's hang onto the lead and get a road sweep!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:17 pm

Nice little 12-2 run here to start the half and put MSU up 13. Hope they keep their foot on the gas!

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:36 pm

It seems our team came out of half with determination. Their many passes were crisp ball movement was great. Belo got a 3rd foul and Bishop seems to have a hurt ankle? and we seemed to lose some steam... but 10 minutes to go and we are still up by 13.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 pm

I'll never trust this team with a big lead, but it's going pretty well right now. PSU will have to really really heat up to get back in this one.
Cats up 63-48 with 7 to go.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:04 pm

Nice win!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:05 pm

Bobcats win 73-60. It felt like a much wider margin. We were content to burn clock down the stretch and thus waste some possessions. Pretty impressive road sweep without one of our best players.
Last edited by BelgradeBobcat on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:17 pm

Go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:20 pm

When was the last time we had an overall record anywhere near 14-5 or were 9 games over .500 at this point in the season?

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:20 pm

Ever since Sprinkle took over the program every thing seems to make sense. You can really see our players play free and continuously improve.

We are going to be tough to beat.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:27 pm

Wow, things are looking way way up for both MSU basketball teams and for the conference in general with a full schedule of games played this weekend and no postponements. Go Cats!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:29 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 pm
I'll never trust this team with a big lead, but it's going pretty well right now. PSU will have to really really heat up to get back in this one.
I said this earlier in the season. If we are up double figures with 8 to go we start milking every possession. I agree using some clock but getting to final 5 seconds and having to put up a driving shot at the buzzer has let a lot of teams back in it. I wish we would still get into a post at about 15. And we did not shoot good free throws down the stretch

Sports is not bigger than life

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:29 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I said this earlier in the season. If we are up double figures with 8 to go we start milking every possession. I agree using some clock but getting to final 5 seconds and having to put up a driving shot at the buzzer has let a lot of teams back in it. I wish we would still get into a post at about 15. And we did not shoot good free throws down the stretch
This has bugged me all season — and the last couple seasons — with both the men and women. They wait until 10 on the shot clock to START moving and more times than not end up with a bad shot or turn it over. I’m with tetoncat; I’d rather see a little less clock burned to get a better look at decent shot.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 pm
tetoncat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
This has bugged me all season — and the last couple seasons — with both the men and women. They wait until 10 on the shot clock to START moving and more times than not end up with a bad shot or turn it over. I’m with tetoncat; I’d rather see a little less clock burned to get a better look at decent shot.
I wonder if there are analytics out there to help tell coaches at what point a lead is "safe" enough that they're statistically better off just running clock as opposed to running a normal offense and risking a quick possession without scoring. It does seem like getting overly conservative too soon can lead to trouble if the other team hits a few shots as you're not scoring. This phenomenon is most definitely not unique to MSU, you see it all the time in both college and the NBA.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:56 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 pm
nevadacat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I wonder if there are analytics out there to help tell coaches at what point a lead is "safe" enough that they're statistically better off just running clock as opposed to running a normal offense and risking a quick possession without scoring. It does seem like getting overly conservative too soon can lead to trouble if the other team hits a few shots as you're not scoring. This phenomenon is most definitely not unique to MSU, you see it all the time in both college and the NBA.
Here's how I'd describe our clock eating ?plan? and technic. The point guard stands and lackadaisically dribbles the ball at least 40 feet from the basket (unless of course a defender gets after him, in which case he's put himself in a tough position and may end up turning the ball over.) All other players on the team pretty much just stand around not looking for or expecting a pass. Why would they? The point guard is too far out and is in no way attempting to set anything up, and not looking for any player who has moved himself into a position of advantage to score. Now the shot clock gets down to between 11 and 8 seconds. Without having set the table and no tempo being established the point guard kicks it into gear and franticly looks for someone to pass to or makes a move himself as other players go from their no tempo dead stop to franticly trying to get open somewhere anywhere on the court (no evidence of a plan or play). Once in every great while someone gets in a good position to get a pass and attempt a shot but more likely a prayer gets thrown up.
We've seen that scenario way too many times.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:22 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:56 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 pm
nevadacat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Here's how I'd describe our clock eating ?plan? and technic. The point guard stands and lackadaisically dribbles the ball at least 40 feet from the basket (unless of course a defender gets after him, in which case he's put himself in a tough position and may end up turning the ball over.) All other players on the team pretty much just stand around not looking for or expecting a pass. Why would they? The point guard is too far out and is in no way attempting to set anything up, and not looking for any player who has moved himself into a position of advantage to score. Now the shot clock gets down to between 11 and 8 seconds. Without having set the table and no tempo being established the point guard kicks it into gear and franticly looks for someone to pass to or makes a move himself as other players go from their no tempo dead stop to franticly trying to get open somewhere anywhere on the court (no evidence of a plan or play). Once in every great while someone gets in a good position to get a pass and attempt a shot but more likely a prayer gets thrown up.
We've seen that scenario way too many times.
Well said!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."