WBB vs. PSU wear red day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

WBB vs. PSU wear red day

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:51 pm

Fairly good turn out today and lots of red showing good support for the "no more stollen sisters" campaign.
From 3:20 - 2:52 in the 2nd qtr Leia Beattie made 3 offensive rebounds and then a 3 point basket. That was one awesome 30 seconds for her.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Re: WBB vs. PSU wear red day

Post by nevadacat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:20 pm

Better ball movement again and pretty good defense. We probably should have shot about 20 more free throws.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:13 pm

No haven't you noticed. In women's game you can knock then to the ground. In men's if you touch them it is a foul

Sports is not bigger than life

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:40 am

tetoncat wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:13 pm
No haven't you noticed. In women's game you can knock then to the ground. In men's if you touch them it is a foul
Isn't the the truth, lots of physicality in the woman's game. Those girls come out bruised and battered. They play hard and play to win and their bodies take a beating.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:34 pm

tetoncat wrote:
I could not agree with this statement more. I mentioned in an earlier post just how awful our men's game here was with Weber. There was never any flow to the game, it was constantly interrupted by fouls and commercials. Is it just me, or do we have MORE and LONGER commercial breaks with ESPN+ than we had with Pluto? Then add to that a ton of fouls, and you end up with a game that is hard to enjoy in person. On the other hand the flow of the women's games seem to go much better with far fewer fouls being called.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:09 am

aucat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:34 pm
tetoncat wrote:
I could not agree with this statement more. I mentioned in an earlier post just how awful our men's game here was with Weber. There was never any flow to the game, it was constantly interrupted by fouls and commercials. Is it just me, or do we have MORE and LONGER commercial breaks with ESPN+ than we had with Pluto? Then add to that a ton of fouls, and you end up with a game that is hard to enjoy in person. On the other hand the flow of the women's games seem to go much better with far fewer fouls being called.
I’d guess it’s easier to sell advertising for ESPN+ than it was for Pluto, but I think the minimum and maximum length of the breaks is in the regulations somewhere.

As for the fouls, it just really depends on the style of play for the women. Surprisingly Idaho just wanted to play basketball (thank you John Newlee) but Portland State wanted to physically contest (foul) every point like it was a turf war. Nice flow to the Idaho game, not so much the PSU game.

As for media breaks, the women’s game naturally has better flow because of having fewer media timeouts with more flexible timing. The men’s guaranteed media stoppages, four big ones per half, at the first dead ball after every four minutes just bug me. Any flow is going to get stopped soon. And a team can call a timeout at, say, the 8:20 mark, and know they are going to get another at the under 8:00 media break very soon.

The women only have one longer scheduled one, at the end of the quarter, and only one quick regular media break / timeout during the quarter. It’s a media break / timeout because if it’s anywhere near the 5:00 mark, a called timeout serves as the media break and the media break serves as a timeout. It’s not unusual for the women to play a 10-minute quarter with just one break.