Mareng Gatkuoth

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Mareng Gatkuoth

Post by duelalumnicat » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:59 pm

I noticed that sophomore Mareng Gatkuoth did not attend either the Weber State or Idaho State games. Does anyone know why? Illness, perhaps? I think that he is an intriguing young player. While he is currently buried on the bench, I look forward to seeing him play more in the future. I hope he sticks around.

HawkAndBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Mareng Gatkuoth

Post by HawkAndBobcat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:41 pm

Pure speculation here... But it has to be COVID or grades, right?

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 pm

My understanding is that he's been sick.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:52 pm

I don't see him around next year. His chances of playing are very slim with the talent ahead of him

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:08 pm

Congratulations to the Cats for winning the conference championship Tuesday night.

As an aside, Mareng Gatkuoth has not been on the bench for the last 3 home games, so I thought he had left the team. However, after checking around I learned that he has been away playing for his other team, the South Sudan National Team, coached by Luol Deng, at the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 African Qualifiers in Dakar. In fact, on February 26, South Sudan shocked the African champions Tunisia, 72-64. Here is the link:

https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballw ... ns-tunisia

Can anyone confirm that Mareng is just on a "sabbatical" to play for South Sudan and that he is still a member of the Bobcats? I would be very interested in hearing the story of how Mareng ended up here in Bozeman playing for the Cats.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:08 pm
Congratulations to the Cats for winning the conference championship Tuesday night.

As an aside, Mareng Gatkuoth has not been on the bench for the last 3 home games, so I thought he had left the team. However, after checking around I learned that he has been away playing for his other team, the South Sudan National Team, coached by Luol Deng, at the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 African Qualifiers in Dakar. In fact, on February 26, South Sudan shocked the African champions Tunisia, 72-64. Here is the link:

Can anyone confirm that Mareng is just on a "sabbatical" to play for South Sudan and that he is still a member of the Bobcats? I would be very interested in hearing the story of how Mareng ended up here in Bozeman playing for the Cats.
As a side note, wasn’t the recent John Grisham novel about the South Sudan basketball team?

Poppanorm
New Recruit

Post by Poppanorm » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:50 pm

Mareng was run off by coach Sprinkle in a very unproffessional manner. Great coach but needs some work in treatment of players, managers, and openness to coaches and their thoughts.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:01 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:

Still on the roster but that means nothing. :)

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:14 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 pm
duelalumnicat wrote:

As a side note, wasn’t the recent John Grisham novel about the South Sudan basketball team?
Yep, it's called "Sooley". Pretty fun read.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:40 pm

Just making an assumption here, but I haven't seen him for weeks. I think he got homesick and is probably gone.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:11 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:40 pm
Just making an assumption here, but I haven't seen him for weeks. I think he got homesick and is probably gone.
Yeah, once South Sudan gets in your blood, it's impossible to get out! :)

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:08 am

No surprise here. Mareng Gatkouth has entered the Transfer Portal. Danny now has 5 open scholarships of which he has filled three: Ford, Brown, and Miller.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 2f266.html

BStinsMSU

Post by BStinsMSU » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:28 am

Didn’t notice this thread before, but glad no one fed into the “bully Danny” new poster. Bummed we didn’t really get to see him, seemed to have a ton of talent but that’s the way it goes. Good luck to him !

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:19 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:28 am
Didn’t notice this thread before, but glad no one fed into the “bully Danny” new poster. Bummed we didn’t really get to see him, seemed to have a ton of talent but that’s the way it goes. Good luck to him !
All our coaches must be bullies. Wasn't it not Mckay's fault but everyone else's he entered the transfer portal if memory serves me?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:56 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:19 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:28 am
All our coaches must be bullies. Wasn't it not Mckay's fault but everyone else's he entered the transfer portal if memory serves me?
There were copious amounts of rumors, speculation, and conjecture on here about McKay's reasons for leaving, but as far as I'm aware he never made any comments about the MSU coaches or other reasons for his departure.

There will always be disgruntled family members or friends of players who come out of the woodwork when things don't work out and a player leaves (or is asked to leave) the program.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:08 pm

I suspect this is now life with the new transfer rules. Teams will continue to be young in team experience as long as 5/12 of the scholarships keep turning over. Teams may become more sharply divided between game players and practice team players. Could this churn create more opportunities for players like Carter Ashe, who will be a graybeard if he sticks around much longer?