WBB at ISU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

WBB at ISU

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:46 pm

We lost by 10. No Darian White. Anybody know why?
https://msubobcats.com/news/2022/1/1/wo ... tello.aspx

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB at ISU

Post by rivercat » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:00 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:46 pm
We lost by 10. No Darian White. Anybody know why?
https://msubobcats.com/news/2022/1/1/wo ... tello.aspx
Covid protocol I think the announcers said.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:19 pm

Still should’ve won! This team does not have basketball intelligence. Tired of the dependence on the 3 pointer! We got the skills, just marginal b-ball IQ.

BigSkyBreakdown
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BigSkyBreakdown » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:27 pm

Dependence of the 3 or too many ill-advised 3 point shots?

The Cats are shooting 26.8% from 3. That is not dependence that too many 3 point attempts being taken.

Limardo and Beattie (bout 14% lower this year) just can't find their rhythm.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:00 pm

Who’s the obnoxious announcer who thinks he’s on a first name basis with Coach Binford?

Didn’t make a difference, but it looked like the refs were hungover from New Years Eve.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:12 am

BigSkyBreakdown wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:27 pm

The Cats are shooting 26.8% from 3. That is not dependence that too many 3 point attempts being taken.

Is Binford a mad scientist?

Bussey came from pro ball where the 3-point shot has become the most important shot. Coaches have figured out that if you shoot a little over 30% from the 3-point line you're doing just as good as shooting 50% from inside the arc. Furthermore, the shot that nets you one extra point from a few feat back is usually more open and if you do miss you often have a better chance at getting the offensive rebound. In the women's game the basketball is smaller so in theory, the ball has a better chance of going in if shot properly. So maybe Binford doesn't mind the team jacking up all those threes-thinking by tournament time they will have adjusted to the increased distance (they moved the women's line back to be the same as the men's this season). The strategy also spreads the floor which gives your bigs much more operating room inside-where you'd be hoping for a much higher shot percentage-which does seem to be paying off for Kola Bad Bear, who can take on most any Big Sky post one-on-one. If you ever watch the Utah Jazz-they employ this strategy to near perfection.

The problem, of course, is our team is shooting the three at way less than 30% and that has led to some bad losses. I'm not saying I agree with this strategy with our personnel, I'm just trying to offer up an explanation as to why this team seems to be playing so illogically this season.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:30 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:12 am
BigSkyBreakdown wrote:

Bussey came from pro ball where the 3-point shot has become the most important shot. Coaches have figured out that if you shoot a little over 30% from the 3-point line you're doing just as good as shooting 50% from inside the arc. Furthermore, the shot that nets you one extra point from a few feat back is usually more open and if you do miss you often have a better chance at getting the offensive rebound. In the women's game the basketball is smaller so in theory, the ball has a better chance of going in if shot properly. So maybe Binford doesn't mind the team jacking up all those threes-thinking by tournament time they will have adjusted to the increased distance (they moved the women's line back to be the same as the men's this season). The strategy also spreads the floor which gives your bigs much more operating room inside-where you'd be hoping for a much higher shot percentage-which does seem to be paying off for Kola Bad Bear, who can take on most any Big Sky post one-on-one. If you ever watch the Utah Jazz-they employ this strategy to near perfection.

The problem, of course, is our team is shooting the three at way less than 30% and that has led to some bad losses. I'm not saying I agree with this strategy with our personnel, I'm just trying to offer up an explanation as to why this team seems to be playing so illogically this season.
I think there has to be a balance. Our shooting percentage is horrible. I watched the BYU game and BYU did a great job using the inside game to open up the 3 pt shot. When we adjusted to cover the three, they pounded it inside again! They had a very clear strategy. We seem to have players that don’t even look inside (until yesterday’s game) they think to shoot the 3 first! We don’t look like a basketball team right now. We don’t close out on threes and our players (except for Darian) move like their feet are stuck in cement on defense. Limardo is hustling and playing hard, but needs to focus her off season in the weight room! I can’t figure out Beattie…… the fouls just make no sense. Not moving her feet and reaching with her hands. I had high hopes for this season, but now, I think we look like a middle tier team in the conference. If Binford is truly a mad scientist, she better be focusing on the transfer wire, because this team looks weak for the next two-three years.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:37 am

Catlady wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:30 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:12 am
BigSkyBreakdown wrote:

I think there has to be a balance. Our shooting percentage is horrible. I watched the BYU game and BYU did a great job using the inside game to open up the 3 pt shot. When we adjusted to cover the three, they pounded it inside again! They had a very clear strategy. We seem to have players that don’t even look inside (until yesterday’s game) they think to shoot the 3 first! We don’t look like a basketball team right now. We don’t close out on threes and our players (except for Darian) move like their feet are stuck in cement on defense. Limardo is hustling and playing hard, but needs to focus her off season in the weight room! I can’t figure out Beattie…… the fouls just make no sense. Not moving her feet and reaching with her hands. I had high hopes for this season, but now, I think we look like a middle tier team in the conference. If Binford is truly a mad scientist, she better be focusing on the transfer wire, because this team looks weak for the next two-three years.
I agree 100%. Inside-out is the way to go and not what we've been doing. At least we are very young-heavily dependent on sophomores (technically still freshmen I guess). They will get better...eventually, right?

BigSkyBreakdown
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BigSkyBreakdown » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:38 pm

We are not saying the game has not changed. Nor are we saying that the % of 3 to % of 2 like you said is not analytically relevant. What we are saying is shot selection by the shooters on the team needs to be discussed. Seems like everyone gets to shoot the 3 this year. From Posts to Point Guard.

So if we are playing the numbers game and we are playing the Cats we pack it in and play the numbers and not allow players like Kola to get space to operate. If Limardo and Beattie hit 1 or 2 then we adjust, but for now, we play pack it in defense which also helps defend Darian as well.

Always different ways to skin a cat (no pun intended). Teams need to play to the strengths of personnel in our opinion. Cats have talent, they just have not hit a rhythm yet. Maybe the theory is to shoot till you get hot, only time will tell.

Appreciate the dialogue

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:00 pm

I never heard the Bobcat announcer say that White was out due to Covid. Furthermore, Binford in her post game interview did not mention why she was out either.

It could be the privacy issues regarding medical conditions of students, I don't know, but I sure would like some confirmation as to why she was not there.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:12 am

aucat wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:00 pm
I never heard the Bobcat announcer say that White was out due to Covid. Furthermore, Binford in her post game interview did not mention why she was out either.

It could be the privacy issues regarding medical conditions of students, I don't know, but I sure would like some confirmation as to why she was not there.
Maybe the announcers were speculating (the Chronicle article did not give the reason for her absence) but they mentioned several times Covid as the reason for Whites.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:51 pm

rivercat wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:12 am
aucat wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:00 pm

Maybe the announcers were speculating (the Chronicle article did not give the reason for her absence) but they mentioned several times Covid as the reason for Whites.
And now the MSU WBB games scheduled this week are postponed due to Covid.