MSU men vs. Weber

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

MSU men vs. Weber

Post by aucat » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:05 am

I attended the game this evening and I don't know when I have enjoyed a game LESS and it's not just because we lost.
1. There was no flow to the game. The refs called the game WAY too close. Ticky tacky fouls. The fouls CONSTANTLY interrupted
the flow of the game. Really dragged out a boring contest. I'm not sure there was ever a full minute of action before a whistle was
blown, either for a foul or a time out.

2. Add to the ton of calls, you have the constant timeouts, media timeouts. Again, you go to the game to watch the guys play
basketball. Not stand around during timeouts and foul shots. You know, there are only so many of those ridiculous "kiss cams" and
"oblivious cams" that you can tolerate during all of these time outs. Despite a very good crowd, the action was so limited and drawn
out due to the constant foul calls and timeouts, there were very few times the crowd got into the game.

3. Weber made I think 12 three pointers. Poor MSU was something like 3 for 27. The objective of the sport of basketball is to shoot
a round sphere through a hoop. Our guys are unfortunately very poor of doing that. The Weber players on the other hand are very good at doing it. I don't understand why a coach goes out and recruits kids who cannot shoot a basketball. Running, jumping, dribbling, passing, that's all well and good. But if you cannot shoot a basketball through the hoop but about 20% of the time? Well, that just ain't gonna cut it.

4. Right now I have very little interest in returning to watch another men's game. Maybe I will change my mind. But I know one thing. I will be watching football on TV Saturday rather than heading back out to the Brick.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU men vs. Weber

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:09 am

aucat wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:05 am
I attended the game this evening and I don't know when I have enjoyed a game LESS and it's not just because we lost.
1. There was no flow to the game. The refs called the game WAY too close. Ticky tacky fouls. The fouls CONSTANTLY interrupted
the flow of the game. Really dragged out a boring contest. I'm not sure there was ever a full minute of action before a whistle was

2. Add to the ton of calls, you have the constant timeouts, media timeouts. Again, you go to the game to watch the guys play
basketball. Not stand around during timeouts and foul shots. You know, there are only so many of those ridiculous "kiss cams" and
"oblivious cams" that you can tolerate during all of these time outs. Despite a very good crowd, the action was so limited and drawn
out due to the constant foul calls and timeouts, there were very few times the crowd got into the game.

3. Weber made I think 12 three pointers. Poor MSU was something like 3 for 27. The objective of the sport of basketball is to shoot
a round sphere through a hoop. Our guys are unfortunately very poor of doing that. The Weber players on the other hand are very good at doing it. I don't understand why a coach goes out and recruits kids who cannot shoot a basketball. Running, jumping, dribbling, passing, that's all well and good. But if you cannot shoot a basketball through the hoop but about 20% of the time? Well, that just ain't gonna cut it.

4. Right now I have very little interest in returning to watch another men's game. Maybe I will change my mind. But I know one thing. I will be watching football on TV Saturday rather than heading back out to the Brick.
I watched the women's game all the way thru and then the men's game. Just a few months ago we thought we had entered the second golden age of MSU Basketball. Well both squads need to take a deep breath and start playing basketball because it's more like the leaden age!

2024 Resume dominance

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:07 am

aucat wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:05 am

A few weeks ago you asked about giving up your season tickets to WBB because they were on a losing streak, now you're posting this about the men's team that had a bad night but is 3rd of 11 teams in the Big Sky in 3-point shooting, ahead of Weber. My guess is the teams would be quite happy for you to follow through on your threat to not attend more games if this is how you react to a single loss. You are very correct that ref crews who think we paid to watch them call a foul every 10 seconds can greatly disrupt the flow of a game and make it far less enjoyable to watch as a fan.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:46 am

Tough game.

Officiating was very intrusive and inconsistent.

I don't know what Belo did to alienate the officials in this conference, but he gets beaten up every night and doesn't get equal treatment on calls. In spite of this, he is playing exceptional basketball. His quickness is amazing this year and he has become a very effective rim protector who can block shots with the best of them.

Our guard play is not up to Big Sky standards. When we get the open looks we had consistently early in the game last night, there is no excuse for shooting less than 20% on threes. That is a confidence issue and Danny talked up his team's confidence in the press prior to the game. It was missing all game last night.

Danny is in a similar position that Brent was in during the football season. Each knows that their key leader (PG or QB) isn't performing at an acceptable level. Danny needs to solve this dilemma or the team will not be competing for a conference championship this year. He should recognize that X is a liability on defense and he should NOT be guarding the star performer on the other team. Kellen (yes he is an offensive liability but his defense more than made the difference last night) was able to force McEwen to pass and should have been used earlier and more often. Similarly, X is way to limited offensively and hurts the team by excessive dribbling. When we pass the ball, we move well but when X dribbles, the other players tend to stand and watch. We don't need "showtime", we need team ball.

Let's figure this out and go win a conference championship and go dancing.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:13 am

Randy Rahe whined and cried to the refs on every single possession. Pretty soon they were calling absolutely everything-just to shut him up. Belo just about fouled out all their bigs, who were just out there to beat the hell out of him. He went to the line a lot anyway. I agree that Bishop, who looks banged up, is more of a liability than an asset. This must be his 6th year of college basketball. If he doesn't realize he's short by now he never will. He makes one or two circus shots every game and gets 10 more blocked. And for some reason he kept having to guard their 6'5" rent-a-transfer guard who could shoot right over him and got us for 30+.