WBB vs UNLV

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

WBB vs UNLV

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:17 am

Great matchup this afternoon. Hopefully the team is ready to go after a less than memorable effort against Gonzaga.

We are definitely talented, but the lack of rebounding is going to be a problem. Yes, we lost Martell, but we have enough players returning that we shouldn’t have to develop “chemistry”. Elite programs start the season not to find chemistry or an identity. They start the season winning games. Binford has earned our trust, but this has to be a better team than what we watched Thursday night.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: WBB vs UNLV

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:33 am

Ilikecats wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:17 am
Great matchup this afternoon. Hopefully the team is ready to go after a less than memorable effort against Gonzaga.

We are definitely talented, but the lack of rebounding is going to be a problem. Yes, we lost Martell, but we have enough players returning that we shouldn’t have to develop “chemistry”. Elite programs start the season not to find chemistry or an identity. They start the season winning games. Binford has earned our trust, but this has to be a better team than what we watched Thursday night.
:goodpost:

Due to the football game starting an hour earlier than this game, I might have to rely on the Mountain West site to get the replay. Hopefully, sooner than later.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:14 pm

Must still be working on our chemistry! Hard to watch this. I know we’re not going to win every game, but looks like we’re not competing.

We’re not strong enough or athletic enough the last two games…… we also didn’t look great against Carrol either!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:36 pm

We got taken to school today.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:01 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:36 pm
We got taken to school today.
Thankfully, it’s not a lack of hustle. But there were times we just looked lost. UNLV is not Gonzaga, but they are not twice the team we are, either.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:49 pm

Frankly I am shocked at the very poor performance by the Lady Cats so far. I expected a very talented hungry team.
Yes we lost the outstanding shooting of Tori Martell, but there are other good shooters on this team. At least there
used to be!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:13 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:49 pm
Frankly I am shocked at the very poor performance by the Lady Cats so far. I expected a very talented hungry team.
Yes we lost the outstanding shooting of Tori Martell, but there are other good shooters on this team. At least there
used to be!
Shooting has been an issue, for sure. It’s not a matter of bad luck where good shots rattle out, but air balls and 5-10 foot jumpers that barely graze the rim. Looks like a golfer with a case of the “yips.”

For perspective, though, team FG% is only 5% worse than last season (0.397 vs. 0.346). The difference is 3-pt shots, where we are way under last year — 0.342 vs 0.229. Even without Tori, the team shot 0.328 from behind the arc last year, so it’s more that just missing Tori’s shooting. So far, White, Deden, and Beattie are not shooting well while Hein, Limardo, and Van Sickle are.

Granted it’s only 3 games, two vs. higher caliber opponents.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:05 pm

No doubt that they played two top caliber opponents, but I’m watching the Lady Griz……. They’re doing more than competing against Gonzaga. They look damn good! I don’t know what’s going on with our Bobcats, but it’s more than shooting. I think Binford is going to have to take them to the woodshed!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:16 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:05 pm
No doubt that they played two top caliber opponents, but I’m watching the Lady Griz……. They’re doing more than competing against Gonzaga. They look damn good! I don’t know what’s going on with our Bobcats, but it’s more than shooting. I think Binford is going to have to take them to the woodshed!
Yes, in fact the lady griz made quite a game of it. Only lost 67-60. griz lost probably at beyond the arc, 1-10... And I seriously doubt the lady griz are roughly 25 points better the the Lady CATS.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:25 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:13 pm
aucat wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:49 pm
used to be!
Shooting has been an issue, for sure. It’s not a matter of bad luck where good shots rattle out, but air balls and 5-10 foot jumpers that barely graze the rim. Looks like a golfer with a case of the “yips.”

For perspective, though, team FG% is only 5% worse than last season (0.397 vs. 0.346). The difference is 3-pt shots, where we are way under last year — 0.342 vs 0.229. Even without Tori, the team shot 0.328 from behind the arc last year, so it’s more that just missing Tori’s shooting. So far, White, Deden, and Beattie are not shooting well while Hein, Limardo, and Van Sickle are.

Granted it’s only 3 games, two vs. higher caliber opponents.
You overlooked Hughes's 5 of 20 for .250 with only Beattie's 3 of 16 at .188 being the worst.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:49 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:16 pm
Catlady wrote:
Yes, in fact the lady griz made quite a game of it. Only lost 67-60. griz lost probably at beyond the arc, 1-10... And I seriously doubt the lady griz are roughly 25 points better the the Lady CATS.
Don’t want to pile on, but maybe we’re giving this team too much credit and they literally haven’t done anything? They struggled in their first game and didn’t even show up in their last two. Just didn’t compete. It’s not just shooting, it’s defense, REBOUNDING, playing with heart and representing your school. This team just, and I apologize for saying this. Doesn’t seem to care! I think it’s fixable, but going to require a major change in attitude. But it might be time to quit talking about their potential. They’re living off the efforts of past Montana State teams and after 3 games, haven’t done anything of note.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:07 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:16 pm
Catlady wrote:
Will be interesting to see how the Zags fare against Idaho State.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:58 am

NAU beats UNLV by 22. Ouch.