Colorado

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Colorado

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:09 am

SACCAT wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:55 am
Maybe I am being to critical of some of the posts already made, but MAN a lot of you are being pretty hard on this team... We took a #5 seed in last years tourney to overtime, with a chance to win it... We held a double digit lead against a Pac 12 team in the 2nd half ON THE ROAD!!! I am super pumped about what this team showed, and where they are at AFTER JUST ONE GAME!!! Now it is our turn to pack The Brick like back when Danny played here... GET THE WORD OUT... Show up and cheer these young men on!! Starts Sunday!!
Well said! And our guys really looked the part last night! We have some dudes. Seniors looked solid and not intimidated at all. Lecholat is a true freshman and really contributed last night.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:35 am

SACCAT wrote:
Maybe I am being to critical of some of the posts already made, but MAN a lot of you are being pretty hard on this team... We took a #5 seed in last years tourney to overtime, with a chance to win it... We held a double digit lead against a Pac 12 team in the 2nd half ON THE ROAD!!! I am super pumped about what this team showed, and where they are at AFTER JUST ONE GAME!!! Now it is our turn to pack The Brick like back when Danny played here... GET THE WORD OUT... Show up and cheer these young men on!! Starts Sunday!!
There's not a lot to criticize right now in pretty much any part of the MSU Athletic Department. I guess we have to find something! These guys played their asses off night and like the football game against Wyoming, it just isn't always going to go your way. That performance would have been an easy victory against most Big Sky opponents.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:23 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:02 am
Tough loss last night...but man am I jacked about this team. They will be very competitive this season....looking forward to a great year!
Booked my week in Boise already!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:11 pm

SACCAT wrote:
I get this take, but a little devil’s advocate here- I expected to win this game. We were in control in the second half. I think it’s ok to be critical of this loss. They should’ve won and their errors down the stretch lost it for them. This is not a feel good loss for me.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:31 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:11 pm
SACCAT wrote:
I get this take, but a little devil’s advocate here- I expected to win this game. We were in control in the second half. I think it’s ok to be critical of this loss. They should’ve won and their errors down the stretch lost it for them. This is not a feel good loss for me.
I get what you are saying, and I am not a big fan of "Good Loss" either.. BUT it was the 1st real game of the year, on the road, against a VERY GOOD Pac 12 team that will be in the mix for a very high seed in the tourney in March. The fact that it was our mistakes that cost us the game is fixable, and I choose to look at it as a great way to start the season.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:54 pm

I really enjoyed the game last night. We played up to the opponent and in general outplayed them. We have a solid, deep team.

Having said that, I am concerned about a trend that this team displayed last year. Several times last year and last night, we couldn't hold a lead. When we have a lead, we have a tendency to alter our offense and focus solely on pounding it down low. Other teams know this tendency and it leads to turnovers when they collapse on our point guard and post player. Last night specifically, when X drove and looked for the pass to the post, Patterson was wide open on the perimeter. X never saw him and we missed an opportunity to win it in regulation.

I hope we will work to broaden our tendencies to avoid this pitfall in the future.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:01 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:31 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:11 pm
SACCAT wrote:
I get what you are saying, and I am not a big fan of "Good Loss" either.. BUT it was the 1st real game of the year, on the road, against a VERY GOOD Pac 12 team that will be in the mix for a very high seed in the tourney in March. The fact that it was our mistakes that cost us the game is fixable, and I choose to look at it as a great way to start the season.
I'm on the fence on this one. Yes it was the first game on the road and those are always tougher than at home.

But this was a game coming in I thought we could win. At halftime I was even more confident. With five minutes to go I was sure I was right. Our veteran team was better than their young core of new players. So I went to bed pretty disappointed. It's only one game. I'm smart enough to know we should be in the mix all season long. But I don't think it's that bad to be bummed when your team loses a game you expected them to win.

Yes Colorado was a 5-seed last year. With a senior laden squad including a do everything senior currently on an nba roster. We didn't play that team last night. We played a very young team who's veteran players were riddled in foul trouble all game.

It doesn't change my outlook on the season, but this is a game we should have won and I'm sure Sprinks and his guys know it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:05 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:54 pm
I really enjoyed the game last night. We played up to the opponent and in general outplayed them. We have a solid, deep team.

Having said that, I am concerned about a trend that this team displayed last year. Several times last year and last night, we couldn't hold a lead. When we have a lead, we have a tendency to alter our offense and focus solely on pounding it down low. Other teams know this tendency and it leads to turnovers when they collapse on our point guard and post player. Last night specifically, when X drove and looked for the pass to the post, Patterson was wide open on the perimeter. X never saw him and we missed an opportunity to win it in regulation.

I hope we will work to broaden our tendencies to avoid this pitfall in the future.
I don't know that it's because we ONLY pound it down low. Last night that is exactly what we should have been doing. Belo was killing them all game and their bigs were in foul trouble. I wanted it to go down there more!

I was disappointed in their bad angles and bad passes more than anything. And lack of awareness on the backside help. We forced the passes down low, which caused turnovers, but I don't think that it was a mistake to go down low. We just need to execute better.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:09 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:05 pm
thefrank1 wrote:

I don't know that it's because we ONLY pound it down low. Last night that is exactly what we should have been doing. Belo was killing them all game and their bigs were in foul trouble. I wanted it to go down there more!

I was disappointed in their bad angles and bad passes more than anything. And lack of awareness on the backside help. We forced the passes down low, which caused turnovers, but I don't think that it was a mistake to go down low. We just need to execute better.
Same point.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:15 pm

I'm hoping this team can respond similar to how the football team responded after a tough loss as an underdog on the road. Last year we beat UNLV only to drop several games against inferior opponents. Perhaps this year they respond and go on a nice non conference run and roll into the conference season with a ton of confidence.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:18 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:09 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:05 pm
thefrank1 wrote:

Same point.
I didn't think it was because you said when we have a lead we solely focus on pounding down low. I don't think that is the case, but in any event, most teams choose to pound the ball down low rather than shooting from the perimeter.

Maybe I mistook your point.