New players

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

New players

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:04 pm

The cats are very athletic. The Washington drop down is amazingly quick and can jump out of the gym. I just hope he can settle down and keep consistency on the court. The kid from Wyoming had me just as excited as he looked and plays much bigger than he is and in my mind could be the first guy off the bench inside. I can't wait to see what a couple years of weights and post work with Haslam will do for him. I also think Great is a project player more than I thought but in a couple years will be a great inside threat. The guards looked great with Patterson showing glimpses of why he was so highly recruited by us. Also looks like he has grew an inch or two. The bozeman kid even got in and looked better than I thought. Looks to be a hard worker and much better talent at the end of the bench than we have ever had. I hope he sticks with it as would love to see him in a couple years in the rotation. The kid from Alaska also looks to be special with good height and smooth shooting. Things are looking up and will be interesting the next few years. I can honestly say we haven't been this deep with guys who I think can rotate in and not have a huge drop off in years. Go Cats

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: New players

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:54 pm

Very good summary. I know it was just Providence, but I was very impressed with our overall athleticism and length last night. For the first time in a long time, I think our overall team athleticism will match up with anyone in our conference.

Raequan Battle will be a matchup problem for most teams. Good shooter and extremely quick, jumps very well. Sam Lecholat also impressed and folks will love his all round toughness and hustle. And Pat McMahon from Alaska has all the tools also. Agree that Great Osobor is rough around the edges, but he sure has plenty of natural ability.

The 7 footer did not dress out, nor did the Germer kid out of Missoula. Nick Gazeles also did not dress or play. Not sure if they had injuries, or what at this is about. But Sprinkle will likely be redshirting a few guys and maybe at least the two freshmen may be in for a redshirt year.

Also, Borah Fernandez did not dress or play.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:44 pm

Agree with the previous assessments. I was also impressed by the freshman point guard Isaac Spears. Very athletic, sound fundamentally and very mature handling the ball. We got shooters and point guards, hallelujah! X wont be exhausted by the end of the season and we can open up the floor for the big men.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:14 pm

Where was Darien White on Coach Sprinks depth chart?

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:28 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:54 pm
Very good summary. I know it was just Providence, but I was very impressed with our overall athleticism and length last night. For the first time in a long time, I think our overall team athleticism will match up with anyone in our conference.

Raequan Battle will be a matchup problem for most teams. Good shooter and extremely quick, jumps very well. Sam Lecholat also impressed and folks will love his all round toughness and hustle. And Pat McMahon from Alaska has all the tools also. Agree that Great Osobor is rough around the edges, but he sure has plenty of natural ability.

The 7 footer did not dress out, nor did the Germer kid out of Missoula. Nick Gazeles also did not dress or play. Not sure if they had injuries, or what at this is about. But Sprinkle will likely be redshirting a few guys and maybe at least the two freshmen may be in for a redshirt year.

I am wondering if there is a limit to the number of players who can suit up?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:11 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:28 am
HelenaCat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:54 pm

I am wondering if there is a limit to the number of players who can suit up?
In conference there used to be a limit of 12 players set by the conference. I think something like that still exists

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:54 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:04 pm
The cats are very athletic. The Washington drop down is amazingly quick and can jump out of the gym. I just hope he can settle down and keep consistency on the court. The kid from Wyoming had me just as excited as he looked and plays much bigger than he is and in my mind could be the first guy off the bench inside. I can't wait to see what a couple years of weights and post work with Haslam will do for him. I also think Great is a project player more than I thought but in a couple years will be a great inside threat. The guards looked great with Patterson showing glimpses of why he was so highly recruited by us. Also looks like he has grew an inch or two. The bozeman kid even got in and looked better than I thought. Looks to be a hard worker and much better talent at the end of the bench than we have ever had. I hope he sticks with it as would love to see him in a couple years in the rotation. The kid from Alaska also looks to be special with good height and smooth shooting. Things are looking up and will be interesting the next few years. I can honestly say we haven't been this deep with guys who I think can rotate in and not have a huge drop off in years. Go Cats
Agreed. I thought our newcomers looked good. I wonder about Borja's minutes going forward even if he is healthy.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:54 pm

Cats men's basketball team has been grinding since early June, with about a 10 day break they took in August. As the parent of one of these new guys (Patrick) it was super fun to watch the team get into action against Providence. It was a patchwork of listening to the radio broadcast from the Great Falls station, watching the ESPN+ feed until the cord got yanked, and getting texts from a few friends and family who were at the game. My winter in Alaska will be filled with the entertainment of watching these guys fight for a Big Sky Conference championship!!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:04 pm

lv2hoop wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:54 pm
Cats men's basketball team has been grinding since early June, with about a 10 day break they took in August. As the parent of one of these new guys (Patrick) it was super fun to watch the team get into action against Providence. It was a patchwork of listening to the radio broadcast from the Great Falls station, watching the ESPN+ feed until the cord got yanked, and getting texts from a few friends and family who were at the game. My winter in Alaska will be filled with the entertainment of watching these guys fight for a Big Sky Conference championship!!!
Awesome! We’re excited about the “kid from Alaska” as he’ll probably be known for awhile. The “kid from Alaska” is doing very well on the football team. Just joking — I’ve gotten to make several long visits to Alaska and I love it. Please let us know as the season goes along what it’s like to be a remote parent. We treat everyone on this board with the same level of respect — exactly none. Thanks for checking in. 💙 💛 😺

lv2hoop
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by lv2hoop » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:24 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:04 pm
lv2hoop wrote:
Awesome! We’re excited about the “kid from Alaska” as he’ll probably be known for awhile. The “kid from Alaska” is doing very well on the football team. Just joking — I’ve gotten to make several long visits to Alaska and I love it. Please let us know as the season goes along what it’s like to be a remote parent. We treat everyone on this board with the same level of respect — exactly none. Thanks for checking in. 💙 💛 😺
Yeah, Alaska kids who go off to school somewhere else get ID'd pretty quick with the Alaska tag.

There are actually two Alaskans on the Cats football roster. Derryk Snell is doing work on the gridiron -- he was also a great basketball player up here in high school and him and Patrick played against each other a couple of times when Derryk was a senior and Pat was a freshman. Jackson Harmon is a freshman footballer for the Cats and he and Patrick know each other well as Jackson is from South Anchorage and Patrick is from Palmer, which is 45 minutes outside of Anchorage.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:56 pm

Speaking of Alaska-I love wearing my Cats hat up there-I get a lot of complements on it up there. Go Cats!

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:08 am

lv2hoop wrote:
We’ve had a little success with guards from Alaska. :wink:

Welcome aboard!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:28 pm

Celtic and I got to sit in on a scrimmage during the Gold Rush weekend. I can’t tell you how impressed I was watching coach Sprinkle, Coach Russell, and Coach Haslam. We are going to talk about the players at length, but I wanted to give credit to these amazing coaches. They demand from the players without demeaning them. They support the players and breed confidence in them. Fantastic teachers!

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:59 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:28 pm
Celtic and I got to sit in on a scrimmage during the Gold Rush weekend. I can’t tell you how impressed I was watching coach Sprinkle, Coach Russell, and Coach Haslam. We are going to talk about the players at length, but I wanted to give credit to these amazing coaches. They demand from the players without demeaning them. They support the players and breed confidence in them. Fantastic teachers!
Echo that. I’ve seen the same thing!

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:40 am

Common Cat wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:28 pm
It is sure nice to see the players not get brow beaten after a play and the assistants can actually help with coaching. I think we were lacking that for a few years. Also the whole team looks energized and guys are smiling on the sidelines which is great to see as well. I am looking forward to seeing how they stack up in the big sky. The only thing I see going to be a problem is minutes and who redshirts. I really hope several of the freshman redshirt and I hope they hang around as by the time those guys are seniors they will be really good I think with the coaching in place. I think they will be good this year, but I only fear consistency. I will be eager to see who plays. Go Cats!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:37 am

As I have said before, this years teams has to be the most talented and deepest team I can remember, thanks to the Covid extra year of eligibility. That said though, A lot of teams in the Big Sky conference will be in the same position. I think the quality of basketball we are going to see this year in January-March is going to be exciting. What I like about our team is that we have a lot of returning (2 all big sky preseason selections) big time players, but we also have some talented new comers. I think this team has a lot of room to get better and better as the season progresses. Players like Osobor, Battle, McMahon and Lecholat are just going to get better and better as the acclimate, learn and get in better shape. It should be a fun year.