Let’s get it started!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Let’s get it started!

Post by Ilikecats » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:00 am

I have no idea what to think of this season! Both teams (Men and Women’s) are upper tier in the big sky, but there’s a ton of ifs. With the extra season of eligibility, I’m not sure who is coming back in the conference. Lots of coaching changes in the Women’s…… Weber State signed everybody except for Dame Lilliard in the men’s. They still have a coach that can’t spell X and O’s.

I’m predicting our women’s team will win the conference, have the men’s coming in 2nd or 3rd. Again, that’s not based on knowing a lot about the other schools……. More about how we ended last season and our recruits!

I am confident that it’s going to be a great year to be a Cat!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Let’s get it started!

Post by MSU01 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:32 am

Ilikecats wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:00 am
I have no idea what to think of this season! Both teams (Men and Women’s) are upper tier in the big sky, but there’s a ton of ifs. With the extra season of eligibility, I’m not sure who is coming back in the conference. Lots of coaching changes in the Women’s…… Weber State signed everybody except for Dame Lilliard in the men’s. They still have a coach that can’t spell X and O’s.

I’m predicting our women’s team will win the conference, have the men’s coming in 2nd or 3rd. Again, that’s not based on knowing a lot about the other schools……. More about how we ended last season and our recruits!

I am confident that it’s going to be a great year to be a Cat!
Idaho State will still be the favorite in WBB with pretty much their entire group of seniors that won them the title last year taking advantage of the Covid year to return. The big question is how much improvement MSU's young roster has been able to achieve over the off-season and if that will be enough to be able to surpass ISU.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 pm

The men’s team is an enigma, losing to the worst team in the league last year and then beating the number one seed in the Big Sky tourney. Every year I have high hopes for the men though and that won’t change this year.

The women will rock because they have the best coach in the Big Sky.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:32 pm

Went to the exhibition last night. We're fast, athletic and can shoot the rock. We're going to LOVE this men's team!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:56 pm

Our women’s team is going to win the conference the next 2 years. Get ready! Our talent is huge! I can’t wait until we play ISU!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:08 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:56 pm
Our women’s team is going to win the conference the next 2 years. Get ready! Our talent is huge! I can’t wait until we play ISU!
I hope so, although I feel a lot more confident about 2022-23 once ISU loses all their very experienced seniors who got the extra Covid year for 2021-22! It's going to be a lot of fun, the WBB team is easily my favorite MSU sports team to watch.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:29 pm

I see MSU is +600 to win regular season title.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:01 pm

Might just be an exhibition, but we are very good!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:22 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:01 pm
Might just be an exhibition, but we are very good!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:26 pm

Binford nails it again with recruiting - Lindsay Hein looks great and if Mia Hughes isn't the Big Sky Freshman of the year it'll only be because there's too much talent around her for her to put up the stats needed to get it. Really cool to see Braxton and Bussey on the bench as assistants and the men's team there supporting the ladies for all 40 minutes.

MSU led 17-16 after the first quarter and outscored them 77-27 the rest of the way.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:16 pm

What Is going to be real interesting is within the nest 2 weeks Gonzaga is going to play the Bobcats (in Spokane), the Griz (in Missoula) and Idaho State (in Spokane). Will be fun to see how that shakes out.

BTW When Mia Hughes committed to the Bobcats, Binford had no scholarships left. Binford wanted Hughes badly, so she promised Hughes the next scholarship that opened up either in 2021 class (Hughes natural class) or in 2022 (this coming years class) would be hers. Technically when Hughes signed last fall it was as a preferred Walk-on. Over the winter and spring of 2020, Binford had a player graduate early and one transfer, which allowed Binford to give Hughes a scholarship this year. Also, despite Hughes being a 3 time conference MVP and taking her team to the State title multiple years she got a lot of interest from D-1 schools but not a lot of offers. A lot of schools viewed her as a 5-9 to 5-10 power forward and were scared of her. The Griz showed a lot of interest but never offered, and when the Cats signed her the then Griz staff, were said, to have scoffed at the signing. I heard Hughes had 2 other D-1 offers and still chose to walk-on for the Bobcats. Now she is a full scholarship players. The thing I like about Binford's recruiting is she is willing to go head to head with so called bigger teams to get a Lindsey Hien, but she has confidence in her decision making to recruit players she thinks can be stars, while other are taking a pass on.

Bengalhoops
New Recruit

Post by Bengalhoops » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:19 pm

The best coach in the Big Sky is Sobolewski, hands down, with the best team. If ISU remains healthy, they’ll run away with the conference title. They can stop anyone in this league from scoring at a decent clip. Callie Bourne and Diaba Konate are the 2 best players in the BSC.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:26 pm

Bengalhoops wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:19 pm
The best coach in the Big Sky is Sobolewski, hands down, with the best team. If ISU remains healthy, they’ll run away with the conference title. They can stop anyone in this league from scoring at a decent clip. Callie Bourne and Diaba Konate are the 2 best players in the BSC.
Thanks for registering just for to drop this dime of knowledge in a thread about the start of MSU’s season.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:07 pm

More like dropping a deuce.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:43 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:07 pm
More like dropping a deuce.
Hey, at least ISU kept their game in Eugene tonight under a 60-point loss.

ISU 34
UO 91

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride