2022 Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

2022 Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:36 pm

The first recruiting events of the summer took place for the men Last week and Twitter is popping with schools offering the high school and JC classes of 2022. The last few days I bet there has been 50-75 school offers announced per day. None though, is seems by Montana State. it is quite clear though our coaches have been on the recruiting trail as I have been seeing events announce what D-1 programs where attending what what events. I also think the coaches are again looking over seas. It appears the MSU recruiting net has been cast pretty wide net in terms of player position. The one exception though, as always, Danny seems to be looking hard at shooters. The thing is though, at this point it appears we will not have any scholarships to offer.

With the Covid event of 2020 all athletes were given an extra year of eligibility. With this the NCAA allowed teams this year to up their scholarship limit for 2021-22 for every 20-12 senior that chooses to return for 21-22. So the normal D-1 MBB scholarship limit is 13, but with Mohamed, Bishop and Adamu coming back this season MSU MBB was allowed 16 scholarships for 21-22. Kirby choose to graduate and move on, but we might have had 17 if Kirby chose to return. I have been told though (not 100% on this though) that the Max scholarship for all D-1 schools will drop back to 13 for 22-21. As state before Mohamed, Bishop and Adamu are MSU's repeating seniors and our only seniors. When they graduate this spring that will leave us 13 scholarships, and possibly no room to add any additional players. Now as stated before on average 2 or so D-1 players per team transfer per year so there is the possibility come next spring we will have spots to fill. To make thing a little more interesting we only have 1 junior (Belo). This will be a very young team this year.

Roster by class
Freshmen 8 (=1 walk-on)
Sophomore 4
Junior 1
Seninors 3

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: 2022 Recruiting

Post by duelalumnicat » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:33 pm

Mslacat, as always, thanks for the update.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:58 pm

mslacat wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:36 pm
The first recruiting events of the summer took place for the men Last week and Twitter is popping with schools offering the high school and JC classes of 2022. The last few days I bet there has been 50-75 school offers announced per day. None though, is seems by Montana State. it is quite clear though our coaches have been on the recruiting trail as I have been seeing events announce what D-1 programs where attending what what events. I also think the coaches are again looking over seas. It appears the MSU recruiting net has been cast pretty wide net in terms of player position. The one exception though, as always, Danny seems to be looking hard at shooters. The thing is though, at this point it appears we will not have any scholarships to offer.

With the Covid event of 2020 all athletes were given an extra year of eligibility. With this the NCAA allowed teams this year to up their scholarship limit for 2021-22 for every 20-12 senior that chooses to return for 21-22. So the normal D-1 MBB scholarship limit is 13, but with Mohamed, Bishop and Adamu coming back this season MSU MBB was allowed 16 scholarships for 21-22. Kirby choose to graduate and move on, but we might have had 17 if Kirby chose to return. I have been told though (not 100% on this though) that the Max scholarship for all D-1 schools will drop back to 13 for 22-21. As state before Mohamed, Bishop and Adamu are MSU's repeating seniors and our only seniors. When they graduate this spring that will leave us 13 scholarships, and possibly no room to add any additional players. Now as stated before on average 2 or so D-1 players per team transfer per year so there is the possibility come next spring we will have spots to fill. To make thing a little more interesting we only have 1 junior (Belo). This will be a very young team this year.

Roster by class
Freshmen 8 (=1 walk-on)
Sophomore 4
Junior 1
Seninors 3
Yes the scholarship limit drops back to 13 for men after this year (15 for women). Several articles out on the web on this….but as you stated every athlete gets an extra year if they want it. This is really going to get confusing as we move forward because you may not know if a freshman from last years squad wants to take his extra year of eligibility until a couple years down the road. I saw the following article link from a Marquette enthusiast as he was trying to put together a multi-year plan for their men and women’s teams….no doubt Coach Binford and Coach Sprinkle will have similar long range plans in mind and be holding critical discussions with players over next year or two.

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2020/10/ ... den-eagles

Edit: and for those that follow the Bobcat women’s BB program, I will repeat comments from other threads. Yes all of those 6 great returning freshman ladies (Ranson, Beattie, Limardo, Janssen, Deden, Stumne) have 4 more years to compete in a Bobcat uniform if they choose to play a 5th year and Coach Binford wants them back. And even more confusing the new incoming freshmen like Hien, Hughes, Arden,etc only get 4 years. So conceivably we could end up with 9 seniors/super seniors on the squad in 4 years. I think Coach Bin will try to sort out a little more balance in class distribution but interesting coaching times!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:19 pm

Something else to consider if you are an athlete looking for a scholarship or the parent of one in there are going to be significantly less scholarships to offer in this year for schools. As mentioned above MSU Men will go from 16 scholarships to 13 next year. Even programs like the MSU women who will be stable at 15 scholarship this year and next will be able to return their entire roster for 22-23 if all players chose to return. The only way a scholarship for 22-23 will open up on a programs roster for this (21-22) recruiting year is if an existing underclassman player decides to transfer or is cut. Now that will happen on most teams regardless, but for team who might have signed 5-6 players due to transfers and senior graduation that same team this year may only sign 2-3 players. This type of math is true through-out all NCAA sports, the basic differences how many scholarships traditionally does a sport offer.

My point is this if you are a 2022 graduating high school athlete hoping to get a scholarship, this is not the years to be picky, or wait on that special school. I think the number of "offers of scholarships" will be close to what it has been in previous years, but the actual scholarships to fill will be 60-66% of years past. Those "offers" are going to fall by the way side real quick as other player early commit.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:19 pm
Something else to consider if you are an athlete looking for a scholarship or the parent of one in there are going to be significantly less scholarships to offer in this year for schools. As mentioned above MSU Men will go from 16 scholarships to 13 next year. Even programs like the MSU women who will be stable at 15 scholarship this year and next will be able to return their entire roster for 22-23 if all players chose to return. The only way a scholarship for 22-23 will open up on a programs roster for this (21-22) recruiting year is if an existing underclassman player decides to transfer or is cut. Now that will happen on most teams regardless, but for team who might have signed 5-6 players due to transfers and senior graduation that same team this year may only sign 2-3 players. This type of math is true through-out all NCAA sports, the basic differences how many scholarships traditionally does a sport offer.

My point is this if you are a 2022 graduating high school athlete hoping to get a scholarship, this is not the years to be picky, or wait on that special school. I think the number of "offers of scholarships" will be close to what it has been in previous years, but the actual scholarships to fill will be 60-66% of years past. Those "offers" are going to fall by the way side real quick as other player early commit.
Agreed! Don’t dally in making decisions. The new transfer rules will make it easier for athletes to get to another program if their is no fit in that early selection.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:11 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:58 pm
mslacat wrote:

Roster by class
Freshmen 8 (=1 walk-on)
Sophomore 4
Junior 1
Seninors 3
Yes the scholarship limit drops back to 13 for men after this year (15 for women). Several articles out on the web on this….but as you stated every athlete gets an extra year if they want it. This is really going to get confusing as we move forward because you may not know if a freshman from last years squad wants to take his extra year of eligibility until a couple years down the road. I saw the following article link from a Marquette enthusiast as he was trying to put together a multi-year plan for their men and women’s teams….no doubt Coach Binford and Coach Sprinkle will have similar long range plans in mind and be holding critical discussions with players over next year or two.

Edit: and for those that follow the Bobcat women’s BB program, I will repeat comments from other threads. Yes all of those 6 great returning freshman ladies (Ranson, Beattie, Limardo, Janssen, Deden, Stumne) have 4 more years to compete in a Bobcat uniform if they choose to play a 5th year and Coach Binford wants them back. And even more confusing the new incoming freshmen like Hien, Hughes, Arden,etc only get 4 years. So conceivably we could end up with 9 seniors/super seniors on the squad in 4 years. I think Coach Bin will try to sort out a little more balance in class distribution but interesting coaching times!
Correction regarding Stumne. She is entering her third year with the team and last seasons 6 true freshman are down to 5 with Sydney Stensgard leaving the team at seasons end.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:35 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:11 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
mslacat wrote:

Roster by class
Freshmen 8 (=1 walk-on)
Sophomore 4
Junior 1
Seninors 3

Correction regarding Stumne. She is entering her third year with the team and last seasons 6 true freshman are down to 5 with Sydney Stensgard leaving the team at seasons end.
Wellllll….actually Stumne redshirted a year due to knee injury. Last year she was a Redshirt freshman. So technically you are right that there were 6 “true freshmen” including Stensgaard and there were 7 “freshmen” if you include Redshirt Freshmen Stumne.

The new roster is out…Stumne is shown as a Redshirt sophomore and the others…Lamardo, Beattie, etc are all shown as sophomores. Guess we can debate but if for some bizarre reason all 6 stay another 4 years we would have 6 “super seniors” including Stumne. And yes Stumne qualifies for the extra year.

Probably in reality….all moot as I would bet we don’t end up with them all on the court for an extra year. But I was just conjecturing.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:13 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:35 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
mslacat wrote:

Roster by class
Freshmen 8 (=1 walk-on)
Sophomore 4
Junior 1
Seninors 3

Wellllll….actually Stumne redshirted a year due to knee injury. Last year she was a Redshirt freshman. So technically you are right that there were 6 “true freshmen” including Stensgaard and there were 7 “freshmen” if you include Redshirt Freshmen Stumne.

The new roster is out…Stumne is shown as a Redshirt sophomore and the others…Lamardo, Beattie, etc are all shown as sophomores. Guess we can debate but if for some bizarre reason all 6 stay another 4 years we would have 6 “super seniors” including Stumne. And yes Stumne qualifies for the extra year.

Probably in reality….all moot as I would bet we don’t end up with them all on the court for an extra year. But I was just conjecturing.
Well, to clarify for some fans and confuse other fans, perhaps the class category listed on the rosters should be expanded to NCAA eligibility/coach’s opinion/academic class. For example and based upon the WWB recently released roster, Stumne would be listed as Fr/So/Jr, White would be So/Jr/Jr, and Van Sickle would be shown as Jr/Sr/Gr (graduate) :D

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:13 am

:D lol

Geeze this thing. When trying to grasp the long term implications of the last 18 months, the one thing I keep leaning back on is that fact we have solid leadership with Costello and Cruzado. I wouldn't want to be tied into a school in this period with new or transitioning leadership and/or ineffective leadership.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:14 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:13 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:35 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
mslacat wrote:

Roster by class
Freshmen 8 (=1 walk-on)
Sophomore 4
Junior 1
Seninors 3

Well, to clarify for some fans and confuse other fans, perhaps the class category listed on the rosters should be expanded to NCAA eligibility/coach’s opinion/academic class. For example and based upon the WWB recently released roster, Stumne would be listed as Fr/So/Jr, White would be So/Jr/Jr, and Van Sickle would be shown as Jr/Sr/Gr (graduate) :D
Now I am getting dizzy…Ha! :suds: May the season begin….

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Looks like Coach Bin is thinking long term again.

Malia Ruud, 6’2”, 4.0 GPA, 2025 grad.

Footnote: thought it a little early to start a 2025 recruiting thread so left here…..

Also note on separate thread the offer to 14 year old Grace Hintz.
A trend developing with two very early recruiting offers.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:05 am

In what has to be new record both the men's and Women's teams have updated their roster to 21- 22 players. Interestingly enough, on the men's side all of the returning players classes have been updated to account for the additional year of eligibility granted by the NCAA (example all of the 2020 freshman are also listed as freshman this year. On the women's, though, all of the women's players have been moved up a class (example 2020 freshman are now listed as sophomores_

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:04 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:58 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:04 pm
This kid is a very good all around player. Very coachable, great personality, and unselfish. I Have watched him play and he would be a great pick-up,but he is desired by many!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:31 pm

So i have been watching recruiting new on social media as Basketball all across the nation announce that they have received scholarship offers to from Montana State to play basketball. So roughly I have seen about 6-9 player announce offers for both the MSU men's and women's programs. A surprising high number for the women actually. All of the men's offer announcement have been for 2022 recruiting year (1 JC the remaining high schoolers), but for Binford's effort none, nada, zero 2022 recruits. To my knowledge Binford and her coaches over the past month or so have offered four 2023 (juniors to be), four 2025 (incoming HS Freshmen) and one 2026 (8th grader to be). It should be said, though the 2026 prospect started on her high school team as a 7th grader.

I have heard Binford already has a commitment for this year (2021) and possibly a 2022 commit as well although I do not know who these prospects might be. Binford lost only 2 players off of last years very good squad, On this years roster, the only senior (listed as such) is Gabby Mocchi. Mocchi though was a junior last year and as such she is automatically entitled to an additional year of eligibility if she requests it. Binford could return her entire team next year (22-23). Furthermore with the additional eligibility for Mocchi would be the only player loss for the 23-24 team. Now we will lose additional players through graduation or transfer, but the program is can take the players they want, and does not have to reload every year.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:00 pm

mslacat wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:31 pm
So i have been watching recruiting new on social media as Basketball all across the nation announce that they have received scholarship offers to from Montana State to play basketball. So roughly I have seen about 6-9 player announce offers for both the MSU men's and women's programs. A surprising high number for the women actually. All of the men's offer announcement have been for 2022 recruiting year (1 JC the remaining high schoolers), but for Binford's effort none, nada, zero 2022 recruits. To my knowledge Binford and her coaches over the past month or so have offered four 2023 (juniors to be), four 2025 (incoming HS Freshmen) and one 2026 (8th grader to be). It should be said, though the 2026 prospect started on her high school team as a 7th grader.

I have heard Binford already has a commitment for this year (2021) and possibly a 2022 commit as well although I do not know who these prospects might be. Binford lost only 2 players off of last years very good squad, On this years roster, the only senior (listed as such) is Gabby Mocchi. Mocchi though was a junior last year and as such she is automatically entitled to an additional year of eligibility if she requests it. Binford could return her entire team next year (22-23). Furthermore with the additional eligibility for Mocchi would be the only player loss for the 23-24 team. Now we will lose additional players through graduation or transfer, but the program is can take the players they want, and does not have to reload every year.
VanSickle is also a senior. Like Mocchi she will also have the option for an extra year.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:09 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:00 pm
mslacat wrote:

VanSickle is also a senior. Like Mocchi she will also have the option for an extra year.
Yes, Van Sickle is a Jr/Sr/Gr and I really doubt that she'll be back for the 22-23 season.

Any word on Casey Arden, this year point guard recruit, on if she has joined the team yet for the summer workouts or is she been indefinitely locked down by the Australian Army down under?

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:35 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:09 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
mslacat wrote:

Yes, Van Sickle is a Jr/Sr/Gr and I really doubt that she'll be back for the 22-23 season.

Any word on Casey Arden, this year point guard recruit, on if she has joined the team yet for the summer workouts or is she been indefinitely locked down by the Australian Army down under?
Ha! Well I couldn’t call her a Junior on any front. But OK.

In this team photo I think that is Casey Ardern….front row right? It’s Ashley number but don’t know that means anything in practice….not sure I have seen a good picture of Casey…she is only 5’5”.

arvcat2

Post by arvcat2 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:04 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:35 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
mslacat wrote:

In this team photo I think that is Casey Ardern….front row right? It’s Ashley number but don’t know that means anything in practice….not sure I have seen a good picture of Casey…she is only 5’5”.

I will slow this down for you. On all fronts, Van Sickle is a junior per NCAA eligibility rules, she is listed as a senior on the current roster, and she graduated this past spring. That is her front row right in the picture & Arden is not in the picture, unless you now think the one laying prone is her.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:26 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:04 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:35 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
mslacat wrote:

I will slow this down for you. On all fronts, Van Sickle is a junior per NCAA eligibility rules, she is listed as a senior on the current roster, and she graduated this past spring. That is her front row right in the picture & Arden is not in the picture, unless you now think the one laying prone is her.
How do you get she is a Junior per NCAA rules? Please explain real slow…slower than slow….slower please.

2017-18 she played 31 games
2018-19 she played 22 games
2019-20 she sat out due to injury
2020-21 she played 24 games
2021-2022 will be her fourth year of eligibility (senior season) of play….how does the NCAA define this as a junior year of eligibility?

And yes I know she graduated academically this year.

Thanks for clarifying that is Ashley…looks thinner than last year.