Grove Brothers enter transfer portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Grove Brothers enter transfer portal

Post by Ilikecats » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:37 pm

Didn’t take long!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Grove Brothers enter transfer portal

Post by imacat » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:48 pm

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Wow, the road to a Big Sky title next year for MSU and a bunch of other teams just got substantially less bumpy. I wonder if the Groves brothers will follow Coach Legans to Portland, or if they've got their sights set higher than a rebuilding WCC program.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:54 pm

I’m pretty sure they heard that Sprinkle was looking for two transfers from the NCAA utility. If wishes were horses...

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:53 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:54 pm
I’m pretty sure they heard that Sprinkle was looking for two transfers from the NCAA utility. If wishes were horses...
LOL...can you imagine a starting five that included Belo with the Groves brothers? Holy smokes that would be awesome!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:52 am

I would guess Gonzaga is going to lose some guys to the NBA after this season so they'll have some spots available.

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:11 pm

In other Eastern Washington news, David Riley was promoted ....

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... y-head-job

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:24 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:52 am
I would guess Gonzaga is going to lose some guys to the NBA after this season so they'll have some spots available.
Some? like 7 at least... Gonzaga looks like a NBA team this year. I wouldn't doubt it though, that'd be an easy move.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:05 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:24 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Some? like 7 at least... Gonzaga looks like a NBA team this year. I wouldn't doubt it though, that'd be an easy move.
After doing a little research during their USC blowout win, I'm pretty sure Gonzaga's last five-the guys who only get in the game in the last minutes of a blowout, would be a top 20 team in their own right. They are so freaking talented. The Groves brothers might not ever get a sniff of playing time with that outfit. How does Gonzaga do it??? There are dozens of small private Catholic colleges in D-1 in much more idyllic locations than Spokane after all.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:57 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:05 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
After doing a little research during their USC blowout win, I'm pretty sure Gonzaga's last five-the guys who only get in the game in the last minutes of a blowout, would be a top 20 team in their own right. They are so freaking talented. The Groves brothers might not ever get a sniff of playing time with that outfit. How does Gonzaga do it??? There are dozens of small private Catholic colleges in D-1 in much more idyllic locations than Spokane after all.
That was probably a hypothetical question, but one I've thought about a lot. It serves as a model for lots of schools, especially in basketball. Obviously Mark Few is kind of at the heart of it. When you have that kind of continuity for that long, I think anything is possible. Most quality coaches can make incremental improvements every year, and if you can do that consistently for 20 years with no setbacks, this is just the natural progression. The question is, how do you keep a quality coach at a program like that for this long? Obviously you have to be able to pay them something competitive, even though you're not going to get close to UNC/Kentucky money, and it's not that hard to do once you have the attendance and TV revenue Gonzaga has been able to get, even in that conference. I think the other part of it is that Mark Few is a unique person in that he's not chasing that big job all the time. He might end up taking a bigger job someday, but the fact that he has stayed as long as he has is a testament to how much he likes being in the northwest. He has said he loves everything this region has to offer, and to him that's worth more than living somewhere else and making more money (possibly lots more). It speaks to the value of patience in a system and a process. I'm all for accountability for coaches, and moving on if there are major setbacks, but sometimes programs move on because progress isn't fast enough. If a program improves by even 5% a year, 20 years of that is huge. Strictly mathematically, a 5% increase every year for 20 years makes something almost 3 times better/more valuable. That's probably oversimplified, but steady, incremental improvement is so valuable and I think that's how you explain Gonzaga's success. I happen to think it's something the MSU women are capable of too.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:32 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:57 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
That was probably a hypothetical question, but one I've thought about a lot. It serves as a model for lots of schools, especially in basketball. Obviously Mark Few is kind of at the heart of it. When you have that kind of continuity for that long, I think anything is possible. Most quality coaches can make incremental improvements every year, and if you can do that consistently for 20 years with no setbacks, this is just the natural progression. The question is, how do you keep a quality coach at a program like that for this long? Obviously you have to be able to pay them something competitive, even though you're not going to get close to UNC/Kentucky money, and it's not that hard to do once you have the attendance and TV revenue Gonzaga has been able to get, even in that conference. I think the other part of it is that Mark Few is a unique person in that he's not chasing that big job all the time. He might end up taking a bigger job someday, but the fact that he has stayed as long as he has is a testament to how much he likes being in the northwest. He has said he loves everything this region has to offer, and to him that's worth more than living somewhere else and making more money (possibly lots more). It speaks to the value of patience in a system and a process. I'm all for accountability for coaches, and moving on if there are major setbacks, but sometimes programs move on because progress isn't fast enough. If a program improves by even 5% a year, 20 years of that is huge. Strictly mathematically, a 5% increase every year for 20 years makes something almost 3 times better/more valuable. That's probably oversimplified, but steady, incremental improvement is so valuable and I think that's how you explain Gonzaga's success. I happen to think it's something the MSU women are capable of too.
Few is the cog that makes the Gonzaga wheel turn imo, arguably one of the best college basketball coaches ever and possibly one of the most loyal persons in the world. He's not poor, but he's been offered 5x more than he makes right now and he's stayed at Gonzaga. My wife is a Zag Alum and a huge basketball fan, she attended the Zags first elite 8 as a student, she believe's Few won't leave until the Zags bring home the chipper.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:32 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Few is the cog that makes the Gonzaga wheel turn imo, arguably one of the best college basketball coaches ever and possibly one of the most loyal persons in the world. He's not poor, but he's been offered 5x more than he makes right now and he's stayed at Gonzaga. My wife is a Zag Alum and a huge basketball fan, she attended the Zags first elite 8 as a student, she believe's Few won't leave until the Zags bring home the chipper.
Well it'll be a disappointment if that doesn't happen this year. Maybe he'll go to UNC if they win it. Never thought I'd pull for Gonzaga not to win!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Well it'll be a disappointment if that doesn't happen this year. Maybe he'll go to UNC if they win it. Never thought I'd pull for Gonzaga not to win!
The Wife says that's blasphemy.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:40 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
It is, but my guess is UNC will be looking to make a splash. Calipari gets $8M a year at Kentucky and I'm sure UNC is more than willing to match that for the right guy. I don't care how much you like salmon fishing, that's gotta be hard to turn down. Few is making $1.8M as a base though, and for the right lifestyle I guess I could settle for paltry earnings like that.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:21 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:40 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
It is, but my guess is UNC will be looking to make a splash. Calipari gets $8M a year at Kentucky and I'm sure UNC is more than willing to match that for the right guy. I don't care how much you like salmon fishing, that's gotta be hard to turn down. Few is making $1.8M as a base though, and for the right lifestyle I guess I could settle for paltry earnings like that.
In college basketball, coaches can make a massive difference-that's for sure. Some programs like Kentucky and North Carolina will always be up there no matter what, but look at UCLA without Wooden, Indiana without Knight, DePaul without Ray Meyer, etc. How about Duke-they weren't world beaters before Coach K-will they be after he's gone? So Few is probably in that super elite category. I would guess he stays at GU until they haul him out in a box, but who knows? It's a fascinating program. They even got it rolling while playing in the old Kennel-which looked about the size of Livingston's gym. I also wonder if they're kicking themselves that they made the new Kennel too small-I hear tickets are pretty tough to come by over there.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:28 pm

5 years ago Few may have taken a job like UNC, but at 58 and 10ish years from retirement he wouldn't do it now. Besides, UNC hires b ball coaches with ties to the program. Wes Miller or Hubert Davis will be the next guy at UNC.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:25 am

You would have to wonder if Gonzaga's success is also tied to the fact they do not have football. A school can focus all their resources on one popular sport which has a fraction of the budget size as football. Look at similar programs that have had significant success in men's basketball like Creighton, DePaul, Wichita State, Loyola (Chicago), Marquette, Seton Hall, VCU, and Xavier. Not to mention they are in markets that would have to compete against some big dogs like Nebraska, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc.

imacat

Post by imacat » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:46 am

I was surprised at Baylor’s dominance in the Final. It did not shock me that they won but I thought the game was going to be a barn burner.

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:45 pm

Another Gonzaga strength Associate Head Coach Lloyd who recruits the world for Few.

Leading HC list for replacing Sean Miller at Arizona vs. boosters desire for Josh Pastner, Miles Simon and Damon Stoudirmire... Lute's old crew. In addtion, Kim Akiens - Eastern Washington just committed. Former NAU HC --- Jack Murphy is interim till new hire.

imacat

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:46 pm

Coach Lloyd is the new Arizona coach.

Tanner Groves has narrowed his choice to four schools ... Portland, Washington State, Oklahoma and Texas.