NAU WBB still playing in the WBI

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

NAU WBB still playing in the WBI

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Does anyone know anything about the Women’s Basketball Invitational? I realize it is not the WNIT.....is it just another attempt to create a new post season tourney.

Regardless, kinda irks me to see NAU women still playing ball (won their first game in the tourney) while our Lady Bobcats are done for the year and they earned/deserve a spot on the floor somewhere!!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: NAU WBB still playing in the WBI

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:22 pm

The WBI has been around for a few years. Definitely the lowest level tournament. I remember other Big Sky teams playing, and doing well, but I don’t remember the ‘Cats playing. It’s maybe considered to be too expensive in terms of school days lost and travel expenses to play in obscurity. We do the every-three year International trip.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:12 am

It is my understanding that the women’s team was considered/offered for some postseason tourneys, but the school decided to turn them down this year with concerns over potential Covid exposure.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:22 pm

What in the world is Utah Valley doing playing in the Women’s NCAA Tournament? They are down 20-3 to Stanford.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:22 pm
What in the world is Utah Valley doing playing in the Women’s NCAA Tournament? They are down 20-3 to Stanford.
The undefeated WAC Champions (Cal Baptist) are in their transitional year into D-1 and were ineligible for postseason play, so UVU got the auto bid as the second place team. Not uncommon to see this type of score in the Women's Tournament, as the gulf between the top seeds and the 16 seeds tends to be a bit wider in the women's game than the men's.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Thanks. I just watched UCONN’s first game, and High Point (N.C. elev. 938) was over their heads but played respectably. Nothing like as bad as UVU started. High Point suffered from Paige Bueckers who is a splendid athlete. I loved watching her. Not a bruiser, more on the skinny side. Quick. Beautiful jump shot. Totally does the right thing almost every play. 24 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 2 blocks (from memory — it’s pretty close). Pretty good for a mere freshman! I have high hopes for some of our players. I think they have a lot more growth possible, if they really work at their games. C’mon Darian, keep ‘em going. I just see more natural athleticism than we’ve had in the past. Deden? Wow, the sky’s the limit. Limardo? Same. Jackson? Crazy speed and quickness. Beattie? Things usually go better with her on the court. Ranson? Just wait. Stensgaard? A little behind but a lot of natural speed. I was just inspired watching some of the nation’s best players, and to realize that our players will not be embarrassed when their time comes.