OREGON LIVE and HOOP DIRT REPORTING TODAY

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

OREGON LIVE and HOOP DIRT REPORTING TODAY

Post by DawsonPirate » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:29 am

Two leading coaching prospects for Univ. of Portland - WCC and stated the decision is moving very quickly. Rumor is down to these (2).

Shantay Legans - Eastern Washington
Danny Sprinkle - Montana State

Salary is over $350K per year would the hometown boy leave?

Word it would be 4-5 year package, Nike school and perks of the WCC to build from nothing.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: OREGON LIVE and HOOP DIRT REPORTING TODAY

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:44 am

Have I mentioned how much I love this Shantay Legans guy? haha

The Nike school part is a big draw for a basketball coach. I think UA is hurting MSU basketball right now because most basketball players don't like their shoes. When is this deal up?? Sorry I know that's a rabbit trail but I've been curious for a while.

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:51 am

UA all tied into Universal Athletics..... Probably some connection their. UA is in major finanacials and stock issues.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:57 am

Bobcat Athletics has signed a new agreement securing Under Armour as the department's official shoe and apparel partner through the summer of 2023, MSU Director of Athletics Leon Costello has announced.
In addition to the five guaranteed years, the contract also features two option years (2023-24 and 2024-25).
https://msubobcats.com/news/2018/2/15/g ... der-armour

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:57 am
Bobcat Athletics has signed a new agreement securing Under Armour as the department's official shoe and apparel partner through the summer of 2023, MSU Director of Athletics Leon Costello has announced.
In addition to the five guaranteed years, the contract also features two option years (2023-24 and 2024-25).
Thanks for the info. I think UA is fine and I like most of their uniforms, but they just haven't gotten shoes off the ground and I think young athletes have taken notice. I have to think there are basketball players who would choose not to come to MSU because they don't like the UA shoes, and basketball is a sport where just one more kid makes a world of difference. Just look at UA's stock performance in the last 5 years--they've really taken a step back after having a huge market share in 2015-16. I know they have a great relationship with Universal, but IMO this has to be addressed as soon as it possibly can be.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:14 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I think UA is fine and I like most of their uniforms, but they just haven't gotten shoes off the ground and I think young athletes have taken notice. I have to think there are basketball players who would choose not to come to MSU because they don't like the UA shoes, and basketball is a sport where just one more kid makes a world of difference. Just look at UA's stock performance in the last 5 years--they've really taken a step back after having a huge market share in 2015-16. I know they have a great relationship with Universal, but IMO this has to be addressed as soon as it possibly can be.
I don't see it happening unless Nico can get a deal that is substantially better overall and it doesn't piss off our Universal Athletic boosters.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:26 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I don't see it happening unless Nico can get a deal that is substantially better overall and it doesn't piss off our Universal Athletic boosters.
I don't either, but Universal's team division was sold last year and I'd be curious to see how that might impact things. Obviously Dick Harte and Larry Aasheim are still involved and have a say, both at MSU and presumably Universal, but are they as hell-bent on Under Armour as before? It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:02 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:44 am

The Nike school part is a big draw for a basketball coach. I think UA is hurting MSU basketball right now because most basketball players don't like their shoes. When is this deal up?? Sorry I know that's a rabbit trail but I've been curious for a while.
Sounds good, but both Eastern (Mens champs) and Idaho State (Womens champs) basketball teams are Adidas schools. Weber has been kicking butt in football and they are Adidas too.

Southern Utah is Adidas too.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:38 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Completely agree. UA has given MSU a pretty good deal to use their equipment, I believe we got a lot more from them than Nike offered (which is a big part of why their stock has crashed, they've horribly overextended themselves). But at this point, I think MSU has a lot more pull than we probably did when we signed the UA contract, so I think we should be more attractive to a company like Nike. I understand the relationship MSU has with Universal, and I'm a huge supporter of them as well, but I don't think it should be MSU's priority to support outside companies, we need to do what is best for MSU. If there is a feeling that partnering with Nike would be better for our student athletes, or would be a boost in recruiting, then we probably need to give Nico a call and revisit that when our contract is up.

GO CATS GO!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Back to the topic at hand, do you think Sprinkle has any real interest in this job?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:03 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:02 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:44 am

Sounds good, but both Eastern (Mens champs) and Idaho State (Womens champs) basketball teams are Adidas schools. Weber has been kicking butt in football and they are Adidas too.

Southern Utah is Adidas too.
Yeah sorry I should've clarified, the point wasn't that Nike was the only brand worth anything, the point was that UA isn't there. Adidas has been a great brand (both in pop culture popularity and quality) for a long time.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:57 pm

Here are the worldwide sales numbers for major footwear companies. UA is barely hanging in there. An inferior product could be a reason.

https://www.statista.com/chart/13470/a ... ear-sales/

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:30 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:57 pm
Here are the worldwide sales numbers for major footwear companies. UA is barely hanging in there. An inferior product could be a reason.

Have you asked the football team if they feel their cleats are inferior? Do all the sports dislike the gear they get?

And I think hoop dirt is just guessing.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:30 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:57 pm

Have you asked the football team if they feel their cleats are inferior? Do all the sports dislike the gear they get?

And I think hoop dirt is just guessing.
Hoop dirt isn’t guessing! Anybody who knows hoops knows that Nike dominates in shoes for players and UA isn’t close to being preferred. I really like UA cloths because I need the extra room! 😂 Adidas is high on the list! I tried UA shoes..... didn’t like the ankle or arch support.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:26 pm

My whole point is that this isn't just about basketball shoes. If it's just about personal preference, then I look forward to being the only school in the country that is sponsored by Skechers. :lol:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:07 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:26 pm
My whole point is that this isn't just about basketball shoes. If it's just about personal preference, then I look forward to being the only school in the country that is sponsored by Skechers. :lol:
Nope, got to go with a Timberlands contract. The Cats could play way above the net then.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:14 pm

Who cares about the brand and gear the school contracts with... My point on the topic related to University of Portland, is in the world of basketball recruiting, the shoe brand and the connection to elite AAU programs is real and often how players are directed in their decisions.

Plus, the talent pools for example through Nike / EYBL ___ players trend more toward Nike schools and Nike schools recruit EYBL tourneys hard. Adidas probably ranks second and UA distance 3rd. Association between shoe brand/AAU program, is still key today.

Back to topic ___ IMO only - EWU coach is selected if these two (2) are front runners. Reasoning stronger recruiting connections in Washington, Oregon and Northern California. Does not rely heavily on JUCO's + Univ. Portland is a difficult academic program for the private Catholic school.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:16 am

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:02 pm

Here's hoping the Groves brothers always wanted to play in the hot city of Portland.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."