Mike Hood into portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Mike Hood into portal

Post by AFCAT » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Catlady wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:26 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:54 pm
Catlady wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:04 am
These guys need to move on with life after college. If they’ve graduated it’s time to move on and achieve great things! It’s awesome playing college sports, but there comes a time when the next class needs to have the privilege. The next class will only have 4 years of eligibility and will lose court time to players on their 5th year, maybe 6th with a redshirt year. I get the whole red shirt thing, but 5 years of court time in college is nuts. How do you fund it? Are schools still limited to the number of scholarships per year?
Do you feel the same about football? There are whole lot of seniors on the football team that have already graduated. This year was like no other when it came to a true basketball season. The players went through a lot, including a shortened season with few if any fans. Maybe, they just want one true final year and not something like what we saw this past season. Maybe, we should have answers to your questions before making a judgement.
Already graduating isn’t a concern, my questions is basically should a player have 5 whole years of on court/field eligibility. What about last years wbb team? Should they get another year because the tourney and ncaa’s were canceled? That team went through a lot! Some sports never play in front of a crowd..... should they get an extra year or two? My opinion is you get 4 years on the court/field. You get one year to redshirt (5th) year, but you don’t actively participate 5 complete seasons! I love sports and enjoy the competition. There are college athletes who come into MSU at the age of 19. Redshirt a year and the start their redshirt/ freshmen year at 20. They will literally play college hoops or football until they’re 25-26! I know BYU currently does that due to missions, but players only play 4 complete seasons, not 5. Did they give extra years of eligibility when soldiers were drafted? They still only got 4 seasons!
This is a zero year, so all the athletes get another year. That's the rule. The NCAA doesn't have a problem with the rule, the schools don't have a problem with the rule, and the athletes don't seem to have a problem with the rule.

MSU basketball teams normally play in front of family and fans. The Cats are not allowed to play in front of fans this year due to Covid. Covid restrictions haven't happened every year. If some other team doesn't play in front of fans every year, then that seems to be an issue with the size of the school or the success of the program, not some external issue affecting the entire world, like Covid.

Very few college athletes play until they are 25-26. There are a few athletes that make it to age 25-26 (or even older) due to injuries, religious, military or other commitments. The majority of college athletes are done by age 22-23.

Draftees (we haven't had a draft in nearly 50 years) or military volunteers have come back and played on college sports teams. There have been many stories of former troops playing in college after their service. I remember one retiree that played college basketball in his 40s. Personally, I'd like to see an age limit, but I'm sure there would be all sorts of age discrimination lawsuits if they did set a limit.

Last years basketball teams played a whole season. The final game of the Big Sky playoffs for the women was canceled and one team wasn't allowed to go on. The mens teams lost out on a few playoff games. The NCAA decided not to give them another year of eligibility.
Last edited by AFCAT on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:15 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:07 pm
Football players season was delayed. Basketball season might of missed a couple of games, but they’re well on the way to completing regular season and the tournaments. I’m not sure why they got a free year of eligibility. I’ll take Darian on the court for 5 years. But I guess Klinker from Idaho can come back too! Do our recruits for next year get a free year? I guess coaches can still tell a players there’s not a spot for them. What’s the roster limitation on a team?
True freshman next year will not get an additional year. True freshman next season didn't miss a year of playing college athletics due to Covid, like the current players did. There will be some sort of roster limitation/scholarship waiver for at least this year and I'm sure for a few years after that. Roster sizes even before any waivers will naturally decrease because of players leaving (graduating, quitting the team, injuries, etc) before completing their eligibility.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:25 pm

Catbasketball20 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 am
Adamu and Bishop will be back. DK and Abdul will not. I think those two coming back are the big reasons behind why Caleb and Mike left. It's unfortunate but that's what the NCAA allowed. I'm excited to see Bishop and Amin back because they get one more shot at a title. But, I feel for Caleb and Mike. It will be interesting in how it will clog up the new guys coming in too. Redshirts, transfers again. We'll see!
I’m happy to see these two coming back, because I really like watching them play. I think Adamu is a terrific weapon that we haven’t totally unleashed on offense. In his 36-point game he was unstoppable. Bishop has a lot of moves, but Adamu with his bigger size and jumping ability is in his own league. I’d like to see him get isolated more on quick plays that the defense doesn’t have time to see coming and prepare for. It seems like every basket he’s weaving around three or four defenders. I know who I’d put money on if it was down to one or one plus help. We don’t really have another scorer that can go that big unless Belo gets 12-18 dunks with and-ones — which is seemingly possible! Anyway, I’m happy to see those guys back.

Catbasketball20
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catbasketball20 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:44 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:25 pm
Catbasketball20 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 am
Adamu and Bishop will be back. DK and Abdul will not. I think those two coming back are the big reasons behind why Caleb and Mike left. It's unfortunate but that's what the NCAA allowed. I'm excited to see Bishop and Amin back because they get one more shot at a title. But, I feel for Caleb and Mike. It will be interesting in how it will clog up the new guys coming in too. Redshirts, transfers again. We'll see!
I’m happy to see these two coming back, because I really like watching them play. I think Adamu is a terrific weapon that we haven’t totally unleashed on offense. In his 36-point game he was unstoppable. Bishop has a lot of moves, but Adamu with his bigger size and jumping ability is in his own league. I’d like to see him get isolated more on quick plays that the defense doesn’t have time to see coming and prepare for. It seems like every basket he’s weaving around three or four defenders. I know who I’d put money on if it was down to one or one plus help. We don’t really have another scorer that can go that big unless Belo gets 12-18 dunks with and-ones — which is seemingly possible! Anyway, I’m happy to see those guys back.
Selfishly I am too as they are big time players! But, It's going to be weird seeing those guys back as super seniors. I think they'll push this team over the hump, but we'll see!! Stoked we still have 2 years of Jubrile and 4 full years of Kellen!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:26 pm

It would be weirder if we were seeing Adamu and Bishop literally for the fifth year. But three years and two years is just fine. It’s hard to keep track of all the classes and redshirts and transfers anyway.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:48 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."