Cats Vs. Eags

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cats Vs. Eags

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:11 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:08 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:05 pm
If we hadn't crapped our drawers in the first 10 minutes this could have been a game. EWU is choking, but too little too late. And our outside shooting is just embarrassing.
Ya know, Eastern is pretty damn good. It wasn't just a good MSU team "crapping their drawers." Give MSU a little credit here.
Is this the first time you're reading a game thread featuring Mr. Positivity here?

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Some bad out of that game, but a lot of good too. 10 point loss in the championship game. Positive moves this season for MSU men's basketball. Proud of the men's team's fight. Go Cats.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:13 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:11 pm
KittieKop wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
If we hadn't crapped our drawers in the first 10 minutes this could have been a game. EWU is choking, but too little too late. And our outside shooting is just embarrassing.
Ya know, Eastern is pretty damn good. It wasn't just a good MSU team "crapping their drawers." Give MSU a little credit here.
Is this the first time you're reading a game thread featuring Mr. Positivity here?
Oh, no. But I'm pretty sure we could have won by 10 and he'd wonder why it wasn't 20.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:13 pm

We outscored them by about 10 the last 30 minutes. We aren't that far away from where we want to be. I can't wait to see who comes back and who we bring in.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:14 pm

Outscored them in the second half, I think that says a lot about future Sprinkle teams.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:14 pm

WYCAT wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:13 pm
We outscored them by about 10 the last 30 minutes. We aren't that far away from where we want to be. I can't wait to see who comes back and who we bring in.
I think the future's bright. Haven't been able to say that for some time.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:17 pm

Trailed by as many as 20 in the first half. Sluggish start/cold shooting. Pretty impressed how they kept grinding it out.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Sprinkle has instilled defense, effort and competitiveness back into the program. Next step is making strides on the offense which takes recruits and the right transfers. Bobcats are headed in a good direction.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

catscat

Post by catscat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:18 pm

Tough when shots won't fall. Cats fought all the way. Could have folded early, but didn't. For Sprink's second year, I'd say we are making progress that we haven't had for years. Looking forward to next year.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:19 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:14 pm
WYCAT wrote:
Belo and Tynes, Hood, and Patterson — if he can find his range again. Need another big who can produce. Very bright.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:19 pm

Proud of my cats.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:19 pm

KittieKop wrote:
WYCAT wrote:
One of the things that really struck me while watching EWU's earlier games in the tournament was that their entire roster consists of guys who came to EWU as freshman recruits. No quick fix transfers gone after a year or two, just four and five-year players who have developed in that program into what was the clear best team in the Big Sky this year. I'm pretty excited that Sprinkle's upcoming recruiting class follows the EWU model, with five freshmen and no transfer players that I'm aware of. He has MSU back to relevance, now it's time to develop them into a champion. It'll take time, but if he can hit on most of his recruits like Coach Binford has with the women's team, the future could be very bright indeed. That said, there's a hell of a lot of competition in the Big Sky with UM, Weber, and EWU surely not going anywhere.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:21 pm

KittieKop wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
EWU is good, but we wouldn't have looked worse against Gonzaga. The start was an epic disaster. We weren't ready for prime time. What I liked is we ended up dictating the game in the second half-EWU was playing our game and not there's. We won the second half. Now lets hope this is a building block and not a peak with a steady decline like what happened in the Huse era after 2009-not winning a tournament game for 10 years. I don't think Sprinkle will let that happen and its clear this 2-for whatever from three point land team is not yet built in Sprinkle's image.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:25 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Oh give me a break. Go read a football thread sometime-on game we won.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:27 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:04 pm
How does a Danny Sprinkle team shoot so poorly? Seriously. These are D-1 college basketball players tossing up those bricks. If Fernandez jacks another three I'm going to lose it. Put Bellach in. He couldn't do any worse. Mike Hood comes in for the first time in a couple of games and hits a medium range jumper...then promptly misses his defensive assignment and gives up a three...which is why he hasn't been playing. Heart and grit will only get you so far-then skill needs to carry you the rest of the way. EWU has loads of skill.
Oh, yeah — he’s a real ‘Cat fan — no worries on that one. Just wondering like I am where all the shooters went. There seems to be a divide — our shooters are not our best defenders, and our defenders are not our best shooters.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:30 pm

I really liked the fight in this team. I don’t think adamu was the same after getting injured early in the game. We really missed his ability to get to the rim, especially when Graves was battling foul trouble.

Defense was pretty good, rebounding was pretty good, offensively we looked very tentative the entire game. We lacked that attacking mindset.

I thought Muhammad played an outstanding game. We needed more offensively from our backcourt.
Last edited by wbtfg on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:31 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:25 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Oh give me a break. Go read a football thread sometime-on game we won.
At least on the football game threads they don't firmly state their opinion that the team will lose before the game has even started. No intention of starting an argument and I generally enjoy your posts!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:32 pm

MSU could've played better, but they couldn't have played harder. I'm really happy about that. And Eastern could've played better in the 2nd half too, I won't ignore that. They missed some easy shots that MSU didn't guard well on. They had a few turnovers too. But Eastern is definitely better than MSU. I think if somebody would have told any of us a week ago that MSU would lose in the championship game by 10, we'd have all been really happy about that. And I think everybody on here is pretty pleased with what MSU did this week. Hope nobody loses sight of the progress this team made this year.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:57 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:19 pm
KittieKop wrote:
WYCAT wrote:
One of the things that really struck me while watching EWU's earlier games in the tournament was that their entire roster consists of guys who came to EWU as freshman recruits. No quick fix transfers gone after a year or two, just four and five-year players who have developed in that program into what was the clear best team in the Big Sky this year. I'm pretty excited that Sprinkle's upcoming recruiting class follows the EWU model, with five freshmen and no transfer players that I'm aware of. He has MSU back to relevance, now it's time to develop them into a champion. It'll take time, but if he can hit on most of his recruits like Coach Binford has with the women's team, the future could be very bright indeed. That said, there's a hell of a lot of competition in the Big Sky with UM, Weber, and EWU surely not going anywhere.
I like that approach too. I just hate the "quick fix" route of bringing in a bunch of transfers. It takes more patience on the part of the boosters and fans, but I firmly believe that you're better off building your program with freshmen who will be there 4 or 5 years. The Cats have nothing to hang their heads about. We outscored them by 10 the rest of the way, after falling behind by 20 very early on. We lost by only 10 to a team that beat UM by 28 the night before.

On a side note, when was the last time that we did better than the Griz in all four of the major team sports, in the most recent seasons that were played, as we've done in 2019-2021? I'm disappointed that we didn't get a chance to thump them in the BSC tourney chipper tonight, as that also would have finished off a clean sweep of our head to head competition with them in the four major sports, in the most recent seasons. We're 5-0 against them as it is (one win in FB, and two each in VB and WBB), and a MBB win would've made us 6-0. When was the last time that happened? Not to mention that our enrollment is now almost double theirs. And yet they still claim to be the "flagship" university in Montana....what a joke!!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:08 pm

John K wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:57 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:19 pm
KittieKop wrote:
WYCAT wrote:
I like that approach too. I just hate the "quick fix" route of bringing in a bunch of transfers. It takes more patience on the part of the boosters and fans, but I firmly believe that you're better off building your program with freshmen who will be there 4 or 5 years. The Cats have nothing to hang their heads about. We outscored them by 10 the rest of the way, after falling behind by 20 very early on. We lost by only 10 to a team that beat UM by 28 the night before.

On a side note, when was the last time that we did better than the Griz in all four of the major team sports, in the most recent seasons that were played, as we've done in 2019-2021? I'm disappointed that we didn't get a chance to thump them in the BSC tourney chipper tonight, as that also would have finished off a clean sweep of our head to head competition with them in the four major sports, in the most recent seasons. We're 5-0 against them as it is (one win in FB, and two each in VB and WBB), and a MBB win would've made us 6-0. When was the last time that happened? Not to mention that our enrollment is now almost double theirs. And yet they still claim to be the "flagship" university in Montana....what a joke!!
I agree with you, but I think you have to do it the first couple years of a new coaching staff if you want to be competitive. I don't think MSU hangs its hat on bringing in transfers, but unless you're Kentucky you can't bring in a ton of players right away who are going to make an impact in their first couple years. So the options are either bring in some transfers for a couple years or really struggle for a couple years while you develop high schoolers. I think Danny is working toward developing high school players, but he wants to be competitive now, so he brought in some transfers.