WBB vs Vandals

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6108
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:08 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:16 am
Can you imagine if the refs let Belo play like that?
WORD

Unfortunately, the more sure bet is he'll be close to fouling out.


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:13 am

I have two questions. One, where in the rule book does it permit illegal play like Klinker’s? The refs are there to enforce the rules of basketball. If teams don’t play to that standard, then that’s their problem. Officiated by the rule book, she’s gone in a big hurry. Two, where in the Big Sky handbook does it say that Bob Scofield is to officiate all meaningful games in which MSU appears? I knew we were in trouble, as I’ve seen him preside over mayhem way too many times. Scofield, see above. It’s not up to you to modify the rules of the game as you see fit.

QED



User avatar
Catfanatic84
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:13 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:15 am
Super frustrated by the outcome tonight but also incredibly proud that the 4th youngest team in the country could accomplish what they did this year! Thanks to Tori and Sidney for many great memories!
+1

Really great year and thank you Tori/Sidney for all your effort. This team will be BSC champions before they're done......looking forward to watching them compete!



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:27 am

Funny how we can watch the same game and see things so differently. There wasn't one time last night that I even noticed the officiating.

However, I found myself asking several times how we let a Fairfield kid, and Cat fan, leave the state only to beat our asses in the conference tourney.



User avatar
thefrank1
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:42 am

I agree with all of the comments about this being a bipolar game. The refs endorsed the rough and illegal play by the Idaho bigs. Credit to them for taking what was given them and making the most out of it.

The refs failed miserably in their primary responsibility to keep everyone safe from harm. Outright failed to control the most aggressive physical play and as a result lost control of the game. We were fortunate that Madison was the only player who could not return.

I regret not having a full basketball game to watch. We may still have come up short but the legitimate basketball play would have determined that.

I found it interesting that the UI assistant coaches were waiting courtside alone for about 5 minutes before the team and head coach joined them for the start of the second half.

Thanks Ladies for a great year. Can't wait to be courtside again all next year.


While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by ibleedblue » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:27 am
Funny how we can watch the same game and see things so differently. There wasn't one time last night that I even noticed the officiating.

However, I found myself asking several times how we let a Fairfield kid, and Cat fan, leave the state only to beat our asses in the conference tourney.
I agree 100%, watched the game and actually liked that the refs let them play. It can get pretty ugly in women’s basketball when the refs start blowing too many whistles. As for Klinker throwing from some elbows, I had no issue with that either. That’s exactly how you should teach it as it keeps people off you in a hurry. Seemed to work pretty well unfortunately.



User avatar
technoCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3269
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by technoCat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:55 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:27 am
Funny how we can watch the same game and see things so differently. There wasn't one time last night that I even noticed the officiating.

However, I found myself asking several times how we let a Fairfield kid, and Cat fan, leave the state only to beat our asses in the conference tourney.
I agree 100%, watched the game and actually liked that the refs let them play. It can get pretty ugly in women’s basketball when the refs start blowing too many whistles. As for Klinker throwing from some elbows, I had no issue with that either. That’s exactly how you should teach it as it keeps people off you in a hurry. Seemed to work pretty well unfortunately.
It is one thing to keep your elbows down and rip the ball away from defenders. It is quite another to lift your elbows to eye level and thrash around. That is the definition of what they are not supposed to be doing anymore. There was a rebound in the first half I think where it looked like she caught Beattie or Martell right in the chops and she got the foul call to go her way.

Klinker played hard. I don't want to make it sound like she wasn't busting her ass but at a certain point of the game, she figured out that the refs would let her put on a wrestling clinic and not call anything but if she flopped to the floor, they would be over at the monitor assessing a flagrant foul. They punched us in the mouth at the start of the second and when our girls decided to fight back, the refs suddenly found their whistles. We probably still lose last night with how IU was shooting in the second half but trying to act like the officiating was acceptable seems a stretch to me.


DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:14 am

technoCat wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:55 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:27 am
Funny how we can watch the same game and see things so differently. There wasn't one time last night that I even noticed the officiating.

However, I found myself asking several times how we let a Fairfield kid, and Cat fan, leave the state only to beat our asses in the conference tourney.
I agree 100%, watched the game and actually liked that the refs let them play. It can get pretty ugly in women’s basketball when the refs start blowing too many whistles. As for Klinker throwing from some elbows, I had no issue with that either. That’s exactly how you should teach it as it keeps people off you in a hurry. Seemed to work pretty well unfortunately.
It is one thing to keep your elbows down and rip the ball away from defenders. It is quite another to lift your elbows to eye level and thrash around. That is the definition of what they are not supposed to be doing anymore. There was a rebound in the first half I think where it looked like she caught Beattie or Martell right in the chops and she got the foul call to go her way.

Klinker played hard. I don't want to make it sound like she wasn't busting her ass but at a certain point of the game, she figured out that the refs would let her put on a wrestling clinic and not call anything but if she flopped to the floor, they would be over at the monitor assessing a flagrant foul. They punched us in the mouth at the start of the second and when our girls decided to fight back, the refs suddenly found their whistles. We probably still lose last night with how IU was shooting in the second half but trying to act like the officiating was acceptable seems a stretch to me.
I see what you're saying.

Just to play devils advocate, it seemed our strategy was to try and tie up the ball on nearly every rebound to force a jump ball. We had a few go our way. But there were a lot of times where our ladies were all over the Idaho player with the ball. Some got called, others did not. It was a physical game but I didn't notice anything egregious or over the top. I can recall a couple times where I thought the rebounder swung their elbows a bit. But if we're being honest, I thought Skye got away with a couple of them too.

I'm not saying fouls COULDN'T have been called in those instances. But I didn't have a problem they weren't called, and it appeared to me they called a pretty good, even game. Truthfully, my only wish would be they'd call the mens games in a similar fashion.



User avatar
CatBot
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by CatBot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:37 am

Great season with some truly extraordinary moments. Very proud of what the team accomplished and how they went about their business. This team has a bright future and I can't wait until they hit the floor again.

I would also like to give Pluto some love. Kind of like the place kicker or a cornerback: when nobody is talking about them, that's a good thing. It means they're probably getting the job done. It's a real privilege to be able to watch these games (including volleyball) every time the Cats play.



Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8660
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:39 am








imacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 am

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by imacat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm

Listening to Newlee, he obviously thinks it was the Bobcats who were overly physical.



User avatar
technoCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3269
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by technoCat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:51 pm

I love how Colter's photo on the link is literally Klinker throwing an elbow into Beattie's throat...


DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

aucat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 am

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by aucat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:12 pm

If that is a true statement that Natalie Klinker from Fairfield wanted to come to MSU, then we blew it big time.
The one thing that we seemed to lack this year is a big physical presence on the inside. You can't just be big
and physical, you need to be able to make shots.

Imagine our team this year if we had Klinker. Skye Lindsay and Gabby Mocchi both have size and physicality,
but have trouble putting the ball in the basket.

I think one reason last year's team was so good was because of the development of both Blair Braxton and Madeline Smith on the inside.
Both of these players developed to the point where their close in shooting was very reliable.

So the key, in my opinion, to being able to compete for the title next year, is developing a physical inside game.

It will be great to see the ladies play in person again. The game last night against Idaho was very disappointing and frustrating
because we flat out beat them in the first half, then BOOM. Glad to see the men WHIPPING one of those pesky Idaho teams
and advancing. First time in a long time that BOTH the men and women advanced to the semis! Go Cats!



imacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 am

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by imacat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:56 pm

I really appreciate watching this tournament on Pluto!



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 pm

aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:12 pm
If that is a true statement that Natalie Klinker from Fairfield wanted to come to MSU, then we blew it big time.
The one thing that we seemed to lack this year is a big physical presence on the inside. You can't just be big
and physical, you need to be able to make shots.

Imagine our team this year if we had Klinker. Skye Lindsay and Gabby Mocchi both have size and physicality,
but have trouble putting the ball in the basket.

I think one reason last year's team was so good was because of the development of both Blair Braxton and Madeline Smith on the inside.
Both of these players developed to the point where their close in shooting was very reliable.

So the key, in my opinion, to being able to compete for the title next year, is developing a physical inside game.

It will be great to see the ladies play in person again. The game last night against Idaho was very disappointing and frustrating
because we flat out beat them in the first half, then BOOM. Glad to see the men WHIPPING one of those pesky Idaho teams
and advancing. First time in a long time that BOTH the men and women advanced to the semis! Go Cats!
Her sister played for ISU as well I believe.

All I know is she’s from Fairfield, and said to have grown up a Cat fan. I have no idea. And hindsight is 20/20. But after she kicked our asses, it’s easy to wonder how a Fairfield girl with talent ended up at ISU?

Perhaps she was a very late bloomer? I have no clue.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:09 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:12 pm
If that is a true statement that Natalie Klinker from Fairfield wanted to come to MSU, then we blew it big time.
The one thing that we seemed to lack this year is a big physical presence on the inside. You can't just be big
and physical, you need to be able to make shots.

Imagine our team this year if we had Klinker. Skye Lindsay and Gabby Mocchi both have size and physicality,
but have trouble putting the ball in the basket.

I think one reason last year's team was so good was because of the development of both Blair Braxton and Madeline Smith on the inside.
Both of these players developed to the point where their close in shooting was very reliable.

So the key, in my opinion, to being able to compete for the title next year, is developing a physical inside game.

It will be great to see the ladies play in person again. The game last night against Idaho was very disappointing and frustrating
because we flat out beat them in the first half, then BOOM. Glad to see the men WHIPPING one of those pesky Idaho teams
and advancing. First time in a long time that BOTH the men and women advanced to the semis! Go Cats!
Her sister played for ISU as well I believe.

All I know is she’s from Fairfield, and said to have grown up a Cat fan. I have no idea. And hindsight is 20/20. But after she kicked our asses, it’s easy to wonder how a Fairfield girl with talent ended up at ISU?

Perhaps she was a very late bloomer? I have no clue.
I think everybody knew she was good. Pretty sure she and her sister were at one of the Great Falls schools for part of their high school careers too. Played on some good Fairfield teams which also produced Jill Barta, so I'm sure MSU respected the small school program. Sometimes a kid just doesn't fit a coach's style, and sometimes they just miss on a kid. I've wondered what happened there. I'm sure that extra little bit of motivation was all she needed to put it to MSU last night.


Image

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:50 am

Jon Newlee is nuts in what he’s saying. Klinker was out of control in the second half, and the refs let her get that way and stay that way. Believe me, I was not happy when Madison Jackson left the game with a concussion, and no foul was called. It’s a wonder Tori was not also seriously injured when she hit her head on the floor. The kids were not being protected.



gtapp
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by gtapp » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:06 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:12 pm
If that is a true statement that Natalie Klinker from Fairfield wanted to come to MSU, then we blew it big time.
The one thing that we seemed to lack this year is a big physical presence on the inside. You can't just be big
and physical, you need to be able to make shots.

Imagine our team this year if we had Klinker. Skye Lindsay and Gabby Mocchi both have size and physicality,
but have trouble putting the ball in the basket.

I think one reason last year's team was so good was because of the development of both Blair Braxton and Madeline Smith on the inside.
Both of these players developed to the point where their close in shooting was very reliable.

So the key, in my opinion, to being able to compete for the title next year, is developing a physical inside game.

It will be great to see the ladies play in person again. The game last night against Idaho was very disappointing and frustrating
because we flat out beat them in the first half, then BOOM. Glad to see the men WHIPPING one of those pesky Idaho teams
and advancing. First time in a long time that BOTH the men and women advanced to the semis! Go Cats!
Her sister played for ISU as well I believe.


All I know is she’s from Fairfield, and said to have grown up a Cat fan. I have no idea. And hindsight is 20/20. But after she kicked our asses, it’s easy to wonder how a Fairfield girl with talent ended up at ISU?

Perhaps she was a very late bloomer? I have no clue.
3 Klinker sisters similar in age. One went to Utah State and then Transferred to UI and graduated last year. Natalie went to UI and has started for at least 3 years and one went to Montana Western. Hell of a basketball family.


Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5061
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:09 am

gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:06 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:12 pm
If that is a true statement that Natalie Klinker from Fairfield wanted to come to MSU, then we blew it big time.
The one thing that we seemed to lack this year is a big physical presence on the inside. You can't just be big
and physical, you need to be able to make shots.

Imagine our team this year if we had Klinker. Skye Lindsay and Gabby Mocchi both have size and physicality,
but have trouble putting the ball in the basket.

I think one reason last year's team was so good was because of the development of both Blair Braxton and Madeline Smith on the inside.
Both of these players developed to the point where their close in shooting was very reliable.

So the key, in my opinion, to being able to compete for the title next year, is developing a physical inside game.

It will be great to see the ladies play in person again. The game last night against Idaho was very disappointing and frustrating
because we flat out beat them in the first half, then BOOM. Glad to see the men WHIPPING one of those pesky Idaho teams
and advancing. First time in a long time that BOTH the men and women advanced to the semis! Go Cats!
Her sister played for ISU as well I believe.


All I know is she’s from Fairfield, and said to have grown up a Cat fan. I have no idea. And hindsight is 20/20. But after she kicked our asses, it’s easy to wonder how a Fairfield girl with talent ended up at ISU?

Perhaps she was a very late bloomer? I have no clue.
3 Klinker sisters similar in age. One went to Utah State and then Transferred to UI and graduated last year. Natalie went to UI and has started for at least 3 years and one went to Montana Western. Hell of a basketball family.
Gotcha. Thanks!



imacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 am

Re: WBB vs Vandals

Post by imacat » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:55 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:50 am
Jon Newlee is nuts in what he’s saying. Klinker was out of control in the second half, and the refs let her get that way and stay that way. Believe me, I was not happy when Madison Jackson left the game with a concussion, and no foul was called. It’s a wonder Tori was not also seriously injured when she hit her head on the floor. The kids were not being protected.
Agree. I have lost respect for him. I hope ISU takes it to them.



Post Reply