Coach Binford

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

BobcatDel
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Coach Binford

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:38 pm

To some of the old timers on the board...... was this year Coach Binford’s best job of coaching?

I was out of state roaming around the world and working 40 years only returning in late 2014, so I didn’t see much of Bobcat athletics. I have had the pleasure of watching the quality WBB teams we have had since 2015....a lot of talent during that time!!

But just looking at the team this year with 7 freshmen and 5 sophomores.....only 2 juniors and 1 senior.......the team far exceeded what I expected (regardless how the tourney goes). If nothing else, I have to believe this must be one of her best recruiting classes in her tenure.

Hard to say isn’t it......with 3 conference title teams, 1 NCAA appearance, 1 WNIT appearance, and another NCAA appearance canceled due to Covid....just in my time watching! Maybe unfair to compare coaching a young group like this with coaching more mature teams in the past....but just wondering?



User avatar
CatBot
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: Coach Binford

Post by CatBot » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:46 pm

I would think there's a growing risk of her taking the next step. Good problem to have I suppose. If the BSU job happens to open up for some reason, that may be the end of the road for the Cats and Binford. Just total speculation.



User avatar
Helcat72
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3712
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:47 pm
Location: Helena

Re: Coach Binford

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:04 pm

I selfishly hope the Bronco coach has a long tenure!


2020 Beat the Covids!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4382
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Coach Binford

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:46 pm

CatBot wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:46 pm
I would think there's a growing risk of her taking the next step. Good problem to have I suppose. If the BSU job happens to open up for some reason, that may be the end of the road for the Cats and Binford. Just total speculation.
On one hand, it's probably too much to expect for Coach Binford to spend her entire career at MSU and become our version of Robin Selvig. On the other hand, I have to wonder if she realizes what she has right now with all the freshman and sophomore talent on the roster right now, and wants to stick it out and see what this group can achieve over the next three years. Like with Coach Choate there's always the money aspect if someone comes along with an offer so big it's almost impossible to refuse, although the fact that Binford (last I checked) is actually making more than Sprinkle has to work in MSU's favor in being able to retain her at least in the short-term.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

Bocephus
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 am

Re: Coach Binford

Post by Bocephus » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:04 pm
I selfishly hope the Bronco coach has a long tenure!
Gordy Presnell has been at Boise State since 2005 and has a base salary of $300k with incentives over $400k. I believe they have won the last three conference titles. I think the only way he leaves that job is retirement. He is from Idaho and in his 60s I believe.



Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: Coach Binford

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 pm

Bocephus wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:04 pm
I selfishly hope the Bronco coach has a long tenure!
Gordy Presnell has been at Boise State since 2005 and has a base salary of $300k with incentives over $400k. I believe they have won the last three conference titles. I think the only way he leaves that job is retirement. He is from Idaho and in his 60s I believe.
I would add that in an interview he did sometime recently he said that he considered himself to be in the 4th quarter of his coaching career.
Let's hope that he is in the beginning minutes of the 4th and he goes into overtime.


I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

rivercat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: Coach Binford

Post by rivercat » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 pm
Bocephus wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:04 pm
I selfishly hope the Bronco coach has a long tenure!
Gordy Presnell has been at Boise State since 2005 and has a base salary of $300k with incentives over $400k. I believe they have won the last three conference titles. I think the only way he leaves that job is retirement. He is from Idaho and in his 60s I believe.
I would add that in an interview he did sometime recently he said that he considered himself to be in the 4th quarter of his coaching career.
Let's hope that he is in the beginning minutes of the 4th and he goes into overtime.
There's one huge assumption here....that Coach Binford is interested in leaving MSU for Boise St. I don't know if she is or not. MSU is 100% her program. It has a tradition of excellence both on the floor and in the class. She has MSU on a trajectory to become a top mid-major program in the country. She is the highest paid wbb coach in the conference. She has the full support of the AD and President. She was here before the housing bubble. Etc, etc...

I remembered this article from the Chronicle when she got her last contract. As a final thought, people tend not to make big changes in their life if they are happy and content.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 3a720.html


"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: Coach Binford

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:42 am

rivercat wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 pm
Bocephus wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:04 pm
I selfishly hope the Bronco coach has a long tenure!
Gordy Presnell has been at Boise State since 2005 and has a base salary of $300k with incentives over $400k. I believe they have won the last three conference titles. I think the only way he leaves that job is retirement. He is from Idaho and in his 60s I believe.
I would add that in an interview he did sometime recently he said that he considered himself to be in the 4th quarter of his coaching career.
Let's hope that he is in the beginning minutes of the 4th and he goes into overtime.
There's one huge assumption here....that Coach Binford is interested in leaving MSU for Boise St. I don't know if she is or not. MSU is 100% her program. It has a tradition of excellence both on the floor and in the class. She has MSU on a trajectory to become a top mid-major program in the country. She is the highest paid wbb coach in the conference. She has the full support of the AD and President. She was here before the housing bubble. Etc, etc...

I remembered this article from the Chronicle when she got her last contract. As a final thought, people tend not to make big changes in their life if they are happy and content.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 3a720.html
I hope you're not assuming that I'm assuming anything, because I'm not. Thanks for the article it reaffirmed what I know and think I know. The Binford's are very well established here both as a family and professionally and have security that would be hard to beat anywhere else. We can all hope that what she has built and is building at MSU along with the various ways MSU supports her are enough to keep her here for many years but it would be naive to think that an opportunity to double her base salary plus larger incentives while coaching at her alma-mater wouldn't make most anyone see $$$ and think hmmmm.


I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6911
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Coach Binford

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:02 pm

Congrats again coach!!!



Bocephus
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 am

Re: Coach Binford

Post by Bocephus » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:00 pm

Well if it’s any consolation, I left Bozeman 10 yrs ago for more money and I have regretted it every day since.... :lol:



aucat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 am

Re: Coach Binford

Post by aucat » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:16 am

I am amazed at the quality of players Coach Binford recruits. Not just how good they are as players but as people.



Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: Butte

Re: Coach Binford

Post by Ilikecats » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 am

True! She’s done a great job in Bozeman, but the icing on the cake is she has an excellent University President and AD that brings it all together!

I think this is a program that’s going to have amazing results for many years if the coaching staff and administration stays intact. Lots of postings about Binford leaving for another position some day and you can’t deny that’s a possibility, but I have faith in the university to continue with the quality hires and bringing in top level recruits. It’s becoming the Bobcat way! You’re going to start seeing the same impact on Men’s BB very soon!



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Coach Binford

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:56 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 am
True! She’s done a great job in Bozeman, but the icing on the cake is she has an excellent University President and AD that brings it all together!

I think this is a program that’s going to have amazing results for many years if the coaching staff and administration stays intact. Lots of postings about Binford leaving for another position some day and you can’t deny that’s a possibility, but I have faith in the university to continue with the quality hires and bringing in top level recruits. It’s becoming the Bobcat way! You’re going to start seeing the same impact on Men’s BB very soon!
The volleyball team finished their sweep of Idaho last night and now are alone in second in the conference. I trust Sprinkle and look forward to all four of our major team sports functioning at a high level. It’s really fun to be a Bobcat! 😺



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Coach Binford

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 am
True! She’s done a great job in Bozeman, but the icing on the cake is she has an excellent University President and AD that brings it all together!

I think this is a program that’s going to have amazing results for many years if the coaching staff and administration stays intact. Lots of postings about Binford leaving for another position some day and you can’t deny that’s a possibility, but I have faith in the university to continue with the quality hires and bringing in top level recruits. It’s becoming the Bobcat way! You’re going to start seeing the same impact on Men’s BB very soon!
I agree, and I think this is something that gets overlooked in the conversations about coaches potentially moving on, whether it's WBB or football. Not to take anything away from these amazing coaches, but there's something happening in Montana, in Bozeman, and at MSU specifically. The area is on the come-up. The town is growing quickly, and the university is doing the same. If the university is, say, 50% bigger, why can't athletic programs be 50% better? I know that's an oversimplification, but you'd think at least some of the logic holds true. From top to bottom, MSU is getting better, and athletics is only part of that. I hope Coach Binford stays in Bozeman for 20 more years and builds a dynasty, but I feel confident knowing that MSU is an attractive place to be for students and coaches. Now we just need to keep trying for better salaries (or incentives) for our successful coaches!


Image

BobcatDel
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Coach Binford

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:19 pm

I will go back and ask my opening question again....was this Coach Binford’s best year of coaching...considering the experience level of the team we have?



MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4382
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Coach Binford

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:12 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:19 pm
I will go back and ask my opening question again....was this Coach Binford’s best year of coaching...considering the experience level of the team we have?
Absolutely it is. The improvement from the start of the conference season when they split against UNC and PSU to middle and end of the year when they were rolling over those mid-level teams was pretty amazing.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

HelenaCat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Coach Binford

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:26 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:12 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:19 pm
I will go back and ask my opening question again....was this Coach Binford’s best year of coaching...considering the experience level of the team we have?
Absolutely it is. The improvement from the start of the conference season when they split against UNC and PSU to middle and end of the year when they were rolling over those mid-level teams was pretty amazing.
Agreed. Going 16-6 with the youngest age team in the country shows what a great job she has done this year.



Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: Coach Binford

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:46 pm

Yes this is her best year of coaching and that's saying something because there have been other great years.


I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Coach Binford

Post by Catlady » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 pm

No doubt her best year of coaching was last season. This year, expectations were minimal due to the 7 freshmen and yes the team has exceeded those expectations. Last season, expectations were huge and anything less than a title would’ve been a disappointment. The team exceeded expectations and was well on the way to not just winning the BSC, but a favorable seeding at the NCAA’s!

Proud of the program and the accomplishments both seasons, but I personally feel that Coach’s best season will be in the next 3-5 years! I’m that high on this program.



rivercat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: Coach Binford

Post by rivercat » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:11 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:19 pm
I will go back and ask my opening question again....was this Coach Binford’s best year of coaching...considering the experience level of the team we have?
Its kinda like picking a favorite child. :)


"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Post Reply