Big Sky WBB Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4383
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by MSU01 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:53 pm

Wow, I expected Idaho State to win today but no way did I think they'd win by 40. That's a hell of a performance right there. Will be fun to watch them in the NCAAs!


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:34 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:53 pm
Wow, I expected Idaho State to win today but no way did I think they'd win by 40. That's a hell of a performance right there. Will be fun to watch them in the NCAAs!
And now we all sit and hope for something that never comes — a decent seed. But, maybe?



Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8660
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:08 pm






TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14772
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:47 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:53 pm
Wow, I expected Idaho State to win today but no way did I think they'd win by 40. That's a hell of a performance right there. Will be fun to watch them in the NCAAs!
ISU just did that one kind of slap on Idaho. Of all the Idaho schools ISU is by far my favorite. By far.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 54 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:12 pm

ESPN bracketology has Idaho State as a #14 seed, playing #3 Georgia. It doesn’t mean anything except it means they’ll probably be a #14 seed. The Big Sky better get on their lobbying horse. Unfortunately they did lose to Nebraska 64-51, after being within 4 in the fourth quarter, and Nebraska finished 12-12 and 9th in the Big 10.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:12 pm
ESPN bracketology has Idaho State as a #14 seed, playing #3 Georgia. It doesn’t mean anything except it means they’ll probably be a #14 seed. The Big Sky better get on their lobbying horse. Unfortunately they did lose to Nebraska 64-51, after being within 4 in the fourth quarter, and Nebraska finished 12-12 and 9th in the Big 10.
Yeah I think that's pretty fair. I watched a few women's BB games outside the BSC this year and there's a pretty big disparity between some of those bigger schools and even ISU, who I think is clearly the best team in the Big Sky.


Image

tetoncat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1245
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by tetoncat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:53 am

I remember hearing on one of the broadcasts that MSU went right from Sac too Boise after the last regular season game. That is a long stretch away from home. Any thoughts on that potentially creating fatigue and the poor second half showing versus Idaho


Sports is not bigger than life

User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:03 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:53 am
I remember hearing on one of the broadcasts that MSU went right from Sac too Boise after the last regular season game. That is a long stretch away from home. Any thoughts on that potentially creating fatigue and the poor second half showing versus Idaho
I've wondered that too. I always feel like you can't truly get rested in a hotel. Sometimes being in a familiar space (or having your own space) is restorative, and I know for a fact that I'd be zapped if I was stuck in a hotel room all day with another person, even if I really enjoyed that person. It sounds like they were pretty well sequestered the whole time. I would've been a wreck.

The NCAA tournament is going to be interesting, because some players will be similarly sequestered for up to 3 weeks except for games and practices. I'd like to think I'm a fairly mentally strong person, but I don't know how well I'd handle that. I've heard multiple coaches this year throughout college sports talk about how resilient kids have been through this weird time, and how they wouldn't have been able to handle it at that age. It's been several really weird months of being really careful and being secluded, and I'd bet this postseason routine is enough to send some people over the edge where they just can't function like normal.


Image

MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4383
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Well, based on their RPI/Net ratings I was holding out a little hope that MSU might get an at-large bid to the Women's NIT. Sadly, they did not - nor did Idaho. Plenty of sub-.500 major conference teams were deemed worthy, though. Including 9-10 Colorado and their stellar #198 RPI rating. :roll:


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:50 pm
Location: Butte

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by Ilikecats » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:35 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:02 pm
Well, based on their RPI/Net ratings I was holding out a little hope that MSU might get an at-large bid to the Women's NIT. Sadly, they did not - nor did Idaho. Plenty of sub-.500 major conference teams were deemed worthy, though. Including 9-10 Colorado and their stellar #198 RPI rating. :roll:
It’s been a long weird season and I think it’s ok that the season has come to an end! I think this is going to be the team to beat in the BSC, but I think a balance between college life and hoops is important to achieve. I believe with 7 freshmen on the team, staying home the rest of the semester might be the best thing that ever happened to them. I can’t wait until next season!



User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6912
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 pm

ISU gets a 13 seed and draws Kentucky who are 17-8. Probably not a horrible draw. They even have a common opponent in K-State and ISU beat them by more than Kentucky did.



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:15 pm

Getting to that #13 seed is huge. It’s no picnic, but the women’s teams start dropping off pretty quickly once you get away from the top. I don’t care what the Kentucky coaches say, they will be overlooking Idaho State. With a good shooting game I’d not be too surprised to see ISU win. I think I remember hearing that all the regional games will be played at a common location? Normally this would be a home game for Kentucky. A neutral court and getting Kentucky on the road would be a big help.



User avatar
Bobcat4Ever
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:22 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:53 am
I remember hearing on one of the broadcasts that MSU went right from Sac too Boise after the last regular season game. That is a long stretch away from home. Any thoughts on that potentially creating fatigue and the poor second half showing versus Idaho
The women did that last year also, I think starting from Northern Arizona. They played SUU and NAU before heading to Boise. They stayed at our hotel in Cedar City and Coach Bin said that she and the team both wanted to do that. Fewer early morning airports, more homework time. Apparently it worked so they did it again. Maybe they can finish the season at home some time.



Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by Catlady » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 am

Lol! I can’t believe this is even a conversation. The team looked awesome the first half....... after halftime, the experience of Idaho came out and they thoroughly kicked our butts in the second half. It had nothing to do with our schedule or the fact we chose to travel straight to Boise. It was 100% that Idaho showed up!

I’m all for the team and very impressed with how our freshmen showed up this season, but they just got punched in the mouth and didn’t respond. They weren’t tired, they just got whooped. Not my intention to be disrespectful about the comments here, but I didn’t see tired legs or players that were mentally exhausted. I saw an Idaho team with an edge and they took it to us. That’s winning basketball. Our women took a beating and they’ll have that edge next time they play Idaho. I love our fan base and how we support Montana State athletics, but no excuses! I don’t care if Klinker is from Montana or Mississippi........ all I know is she isn’t a Bobcat and played her career game against us. It’s not fair to the players, Binford or her staff to lament how we missed signing her out of High School. I’m excited about the players we did sign. I was happy to see Skye stand up for her team! Loved the way Lexi has developed into an elite post offensive game. I think Kola is going to have a strong season and will respond to her late season benching and I’m confident that Moochi will be a significant force. I’m not going to tell you that in the 2020 season I would’ve rather had Klinker than Smith and Braxton. Hats off to Idaho for a great 2nd half........ looking forward to kicking their butts next year! Here’s hoping fans will be able to attend games next season! Everyone on this forum knows Binford is going to use the Idaho game as next seasons motivation!



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:10 am

Catlady wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 am
Lol! I can’t believe this is even a conversation. The team looked awesome the first half....... after halftime, the experience of Idaho came out and they thoroughly kicked our butts in the second half. It had nothing to do with our schedule or the fact we chose to travel straight to Boise. It was 100% that Idaho showed up!

I’m all for the team and very impressed with how our freshmen showed up this season, but they just got punched in the mouth and didn’t respond. They weren’t tired, they just got whooped. Not my intention to be disrespectful about the comments here, but I didn’t see tired legs or players that were mentally exhausted. I saw an Idaho team with an edge and they took it to us. That’s winning basketball. Our women took a beating and they’ll have that edge next time they play Idaho. I love our fan base and how we support Montana State athletics, but no excuses! I don’t care if Klinker is from Montana or Mississippi........ all I know is she isn’t a Bobcat and played her career game against us. It’s not fair to the players, Binford or her staff to lament how we missed signing her out of High School. I’m excited about the players we did sign. I was happy to see Skye stand up for her team! Loved the way Lexi has developed into an elite post offensive game. I think Kola is going to have a strong season and will respond to her late season benching and I’m confident that Moochi will be a significant force. I’m not going to tell you that in the 2020 season I would’ve rather had Klinker than Smith and Braxton. Hats off to Idaho for a great 2nd half........ looking forward to kicking their butts next year! Here’s hoping fans will be able to attend games next season! Everyone on this forum knows Binford is going to use the Idaho game as next seasons motivation!
I don't disagree with you, but I think two things can be true at the same time. I don't think fatigue was THE reason the Cats lost to Idaho, but I do think it's possible that mental fatigue played into not being able to respond to the shot Idaho took at MSU in the second half. Yes, Idaho played a better second half. Yes, their experience showed in the second half, as did MSU's lack of experience. But I don't think it's crazy to think that the travel schedule and Covid protocol fatigue could have played SOME role in MSU's inability to respond. Overall, yes, Idaho was better and more experienced, and Klinker lit the Bobcats up!


Image

BobcatDel
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:03 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:10 am
Catlady wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 am
Lol! I can’t believe this is even a conversation. The team looked awesome the first half....... after halftime, the experience of Idaho came out and they thoroughly kicked our butts in the second half. It had nothing to do with our schedule or the fact we chose to travel straight to Boise. It was 100% that Idaho showed up!

I’m all for the team and very impressed with how our freshmen showed up this season, but they just got punched in the mouth and didn’t respond. They weren’t tired, they just got whooped. Not my intention to be disrespectful about the comments here, but I didn’t see tired legs or players that were mentally exhausted. I saw an Idaho team with an edge and they took it to us. That’s winning basketball. Our women took a beating and they’ll have that edge next time they play Idaho. I love our fan base and how we support Montana State athletics, but no excuses! I don’t care if Klinker is from Montana or Mississippi........ all I know is she isn’t a Bobcat and played her career game against us. It’s not fair to the players, Binford or her staff to lament how we missed signing her out of High School. I’m excited about the players we did sign. I was happy to see Skye stand up for her team! Loved the way Lexi has developed into an elite post offensive game. I think Kola is going to have a strong season and will respond to her late season benching and I’m confident that Moochi will be a significant force. I’m not going to tell you that in the 2020 season I would’ve rather had Klinker than Smith and Braxton. Hats off to Idaho for a great 2nd half........ looking forward to kicking their butts next year! Here’s hoping fans will be able to attend games next season! Everyone on this forum knows Binford is going to use the Idaho game as next seasons motivation!
I don't disagree with you, but I think two things can be true at the same time. I don't think fatigue was THE reason the Cats lost to Idaho, but I do think it's possible that mental fatigue played into not being able to respond to the shot Idaho took at MSU in the second half. Yes, Idaho played a better second half. Yes, their experience showed in the second half, as did MSU's lack of experience. But I don't think it's crazy to think that the travel schedule and Covid protocol fatigue could have played SOME role in MSU's inability to respond. Overall, yes, Idaho was better and more experienced, and Klinker lit the Bobcats up!
Mental fatigue??? Guess you can say that but I think it still reflects on mental maturity, toughness and experience level of the team more than mental fatigue. Do you think last years senior laden group of Freiji, Braxton, Smith, Squires, Kuderer would have let that third quarter happen even with 3 days with no sleep (and it really only was the third quarter that cost them the game...the rest of the game was even)?

You can say all you want about the direct travel to Boise but I think it was the right call. They would have had to travel home late Friday or early Saturday then get on the bus first thing Monday to head to Boise. I always find the first day of traveling then first night in a new hotel setting, new location the most disruptive as to sleep then my routine settles in. But most of all I think our opinions are quite worthless because I have no doubt Tricia and her staff after doing this for 15 years understand the best way of traveling with each team.

And you would have recruited Klinker over Pranger (6’2” forward that shot 40% from arc as a freshman) or a Halle Wright? Interesting. That 20/20 forward vision is sure nice to have.



BobcatDel
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:15 am

I would like to have seen the WBB team play Idaho twice in the regular season before the tourney. These tough games are what build the character and maturity of the team. It would have been interesting to see how the kids responded to their style of play and how the tourney game would have gone.

Oh well....coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Looking for a fun next few years.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2145
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:28 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:03 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:10 am
Catlady wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 am
Lol! I can’t believe this is even a conversation. The team looked awesome the first half....... after halftime, the experience of Idaho came out and they thoroughly kicked our butts in the second half. It had nothing to do with our schedule or the fact we chose to travel straight to Boise. It was 100% that Idaho showed up!

I’m all for the team and very impressed with how our freshmen showed up this season, but they just got punched in the mouth and didn’t respond. They weren’t tired, they just got whooped. Not my intention to be disrespectful about the comments here, but I didn’t see tired legs or players that were mentally exhausted. I saw an Idaho team with an edge and they took it to us. That’s winning basketball. Our women took a beating and they’ll have that edge next time they play Idaho. I love our fan base and how we support Montana State athletics, but no excuses! I don’t care if Klinker is from Montana or Mississippi........ all I know is she isn’t a Bobcat and played her career game against us. It’s not fair to the players, Binford or her staff to lament how we missed signing her out of High School. I’m excited about the players we did sign. I was happy to see Skye stand up for her team! Loved the way Lexi has developed into an elite post offensive game. I think Kola is going to have a strong season and will respond to her late season benching and I’m confident that Moochi will be a significant force. I’m not going to tell you that in the 2020 season I would’ve rather had Klinker than Smith and Braxton. Hats off to Idaho for a great 2nd half........ looking forward to kicking their butts next year! Here’s hoping fans will be able to attend games next season! Everyone on this forum knows Binford is going to use the Idaho game as next seasons motivation!
I don't disagree with you, but I think two things can be true at the same time. I don't think fatigue was THE reason the Cats lost to Idaho, but I do think it's possible that mental fatigue played into not being able to respond to the shot Idaho took at MSU in the second half. Yes, Idaho played a better second half. Yes, their experience showed in the second half, as did MSU's lack of experience. But I don't think it's crazy to think that the travel schedule and Covid protocol fatigue could have played SOME role in MSU's inability to respond. Overall, yes, Idaho was better and more experienced, and Klinker lit the Bobcats up!
Mental fatigue??? Guess you can say that but I think it still reflects on mental maturity, toughness and experience level of the team more than mental fatigue. Do you think last years senior laden group of Freiji, Braxton, Smith, Squires, Kuderer would have let that third quarter happen even with 3 days with no sleep (and it really only was the third quarter that cost them the game...the rest of the game was even)?

You can say all you want about the direct travel to Boise but I think it was the right call. They would have had to travel home late Friday or early Saturday then get on the bus first thing Monday to head to Boise. I always find the first day of traveling then first night in a new hotel setting, new location the most disruptive as to sleep then my routine settles in. But most of all I think our opinions are quite worthless because I have no doubt Tricia and her staff after doing this for 15 years understand the best way of traveling with each team.

And you would have recruited Klinker over Pranger (6’2” forward that shot 40% from arc as a freshman) or a Halle Wright? Interesting. That 20/20 forward vision is sure nice to have.
Alright, take it easy. Couple things: First of all, it wasn't me that said I'd rather have Klinker over anybody.

Second, I didn't say it wasn't the right move to go straight to Boise. I think the general travel schedule and Covid protocols COULD have had some sort of an impact on how the Bobcats performed. I didn't even say definitively that they did, I just said it could have played a factor. And I agree, going back to Bozeman probably would have been even tougher. I'm not doubting anybody, I just don't think it's crazy to think that fatigue, whether mental, physical or both, COULD HAVE BEEN ONE OF MANY FACTORS in why MSU got beaten so badly in the second half. So yes, mental toughness is a factor, and I won't argue with you if you want to say it's the only factor. If you guys want to have a survey about the one single reason the Cats lost, great. I'm not here for that. I will contend that there's a possibility that multiple factors could be at play, and this particular one COULD POSSIBLY be one of many. I'm literally not even arguing that it is, I'm just saying it could be.


Image

BobcatDel
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:47 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 pm
ISU gets a 13 seed and draws Kentucky who are 17-8. Probably not a horrible draw. They even have a common opponent in K-State and ISU beat them by more than Kentucky did.
Did you happen to notice both South Dakota schools drew NCAA bids? University of South Dakota for winning tourney championship. South Dakota State lost out in the tourney but won the regular season and drew an at-large bid. Last time I looked SDSU drew a #9 seed playing a #8 seed Syracuse. On another thread I shared the SDSU story of having won several first round games in the NCAA tourney and making the semifinals in the WNIT in past years. I think this type of success will start getting the Big Sky some better seeds.

This years SDSU team defeated Iowa State, Creighton, and #18 Gonzaga..... but lost to Kansas State. And based on their tourney seed could well win another first round NCAA tourney game.

I know Tricia long term goal is winning games against upper level teams and wins in the NCAA tourney. I thought last years Senior laden team might have done that. And I think the recruiting she is doing is clearly pointing us in the right direction.



BobcatDel
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:15 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:28 am
.

Alright, take it easy. Couple things: First of all, it wasn't me that said I'd rather have Klinker over anybody.

Second, I didn't say it wasn't the right move to go straight to Boise. I think the general travel schedule and Covid protocols COULD have had some sort of an impact on how the Bobcats performed. I didn't even say definitively that they did, I just said it could have played a factor. And I agree, going back to Bozeman probably would have been even tougher. I'm not doubting anybody, I just don't think it's crazy to think that fatigue, whether mental, physical or both, COULD HAVE BEEN ONE OF MANY FACTORS in why MSU got beaten so badly in the second half. So yes, mental toughness is a factor, and I won't argue with you if you want to say it's the only factor. If you guys want to have a survey about the one single reason the Cats lost, great. I'm not here for that. I will contend that there's a possibility that multiple factors could be at play, and this particular one COULD POSSIBLY be one of many. I'm literally not even arguing that it is, I'm just saying it could be.



Come on man.... =; !! You have to be more FIRM than just saying it COULD HAVE BEEN ONE OF MANY FACTORS. An opinion board requires us to deal in absolutes! :D Just kidding.

I disagree with you but I get what you are saying. I think an analogy of what you are saying is the fact that I didn’t break 90 while playing golf in Boise last week because A) I was tired of driving all that way B) I was lacking sleep from the disruptive travel patterns. C) I may have consumed an excessive amount of malted type beverages on a night or two or three or four resulting in bodily issues D) different eating habits and foods were affecting my finely honed body E) my wife bugging me on the phone about things back home was distracting me mentally F) the early onset of seasonal allergies was kicking in while playing golf outside in Boise causing me to sniffle G) it was my first round of golf for the year and my non-existent muscle memory was absent or H) my skill level is such that a pro looking at would me would say that guy is nuts if he thinks he will break 90 anytime this decade.
Last edited by BobcatDel on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Post Reply