Big Sky WBB Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Big Sky WBB Tournament

Post by Ilikecats » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:17 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:15 am
I would like to have seen the WBB team play Idaho twice in the regular season before the tourney. These tough games are what build the character and maturity of the team. It would have been interesting to see how the kids responded to their style of play and how the tourney game would have gone.

Oh well....coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Looking for a fun next few years.
I agree........ wish they could’ve played during the season. That did have an impact on the tourney game.
Good point!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:48 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:15 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:28 am

Alright, take it easy. Couple things: First of all, it wasn't me that said I'd rather have Klinker over anybody.

Second, I didn't say it wasn't the right move to go straight to Boise. I think the general travel schedule and Covid protocols COULD have had some sort of an impact on how the Bobcats performed. I didn't even say definitively that they did, I just said it could have played a factor. And I agree, going back to Bozeman probably would have been even tougher. I'm not doubting anybody, I just don't think it's crazy to think that fatigue, whether mental, physical or both, COULD HAVE BEEN ONE OF MANY FACTORS in why MSU got beaten so badly in the second half. So yes, mental toughness is a factor, and I won't argue with you if you want to say it's the only factor. If you guys want to have a survey about the one single reason the Cats lost, great. I'm not here for that. I will contend that there's a possibility that multiple factors could be at play, and this particular one COULD POSSIBLY be one of many. I'm literally not even arguing that it is, I'm just saying it could be.

Come on man.... =; !! You have to be more FIRM than just saying it COULD HAVE BEEN ONE OF MANY FACTORS. An opinion board requires us to deal in absolutes! :D Just kidding.

I disagree with you but I get what you are saying. I think an analogy of what you are saying is the fact that I didn’t break 90 while playing golf in Boise last week because A) I was tired of driving all that way B) I was lacking sleep from the disruptive travel patterns. C) I may have consumed an excessive amount of malted type beverages on a night or two or three or four resulting in bodily issues D) different eating habits and foods were affecting my finely honed body E) my wife bugging me on the phone about things back home was distracting me mentally F) the early onset of seasonal allergies was kicking in while playing golf outside in Boise causing me to sniffle G) it was my first round of golf for the year and my non-existent muscle memory was absent or H) my skill level is such that a pro looking at would me would say that guy is nuts if he thinks he will break 90 anytime this decade.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying! And if it's about me, H is definitely the main factor, but D might have snuck in and made me shank the 7 iron on that par 3. Or it could've been the fact that my playing partner opened a beer in my backswing. I'm open to all possibilities.

But yeah, my arguments on politics and sports are pretty unpopular because I tend to think the truth lies somewhere in the middle on most topics. I could be very wrong, but I thrive in gray areas.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Catlady wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 am
Lol! I can’t believe this is even a conversation. The team looked awesome the first half....... after halftime, the experience of Idaho came out and they thoroughly kicked our butts in the second half. It had nothing to do with our schedule or the fact we chose to travel straight to Boise. It was 100% that Idaho showed up!

I’m all for the team and very impressed with how our freshmen showed up this season, but they just got punched in the mouth and didn’t respond. They weren’t tired, they just got whooped. Not my intention to be disrespectful about the comments here, but I didn’t see tired legs or players that were mentally exhausted. I saw an Idaho team with an edge and they took it to us. That’s winning basketball. Our women took a beating and they’ll have that edge next time they play Idaho. I love our fan base and how we support Montana State athletics, but no excuses! I don’t care if Klinker is from Montana or Mississippi........ all I know is she isn’t a Bobcat and played her career game against us. It’s not fair to the players, Binford or her staff to lament how we missed signing her out of High School. I’m excited about the players we did sign. I was happy to see Skye stand up for her team! Loved the way Lexi has developed into an elite post offensive game. I think Kola is going to have a strong season and will respond to her late season benching and I’m confident that Moochi will be a significant force. I’m not going to tell you that in the 2020 season I would’ve rather had Klinker than Smith and Braxton. Hats off to Idaho for a great 2nd half........ looking forward to kicking their butts next year! Here’s hoping fans will be able to attend games next season! Everyone on this forum knows Binford is going to use the Idaho game as next seasons motivation!
I'm sorry, but what I saw in that second half from the not-so-lady Vandals was not basketball. It was jungle ball. You said it yourself that MSU got punched in the mouth. Usually that's used as a figure of speech, but in this case it was literal. That is not basketball. It's assault, and it's a piss poor reflection on the BSC that they allow that kind of way over the line physical play. For cripes sakes, Klinker dished out a concussion! That should NEVER happen on a basketball court, unless it's a nasty fall or some sort of hustle play running into something. Those elbows were thrown with malicious intent. Bush league officiating and bush league, dirty play.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:02 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:59 pm
Catlady wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 am
Lol! I can’t believe this is even a conversation. The team looked awesome the first half....... after halftime, the experience of Idaho came out and they thoroughly kicked our butts in the second half. It had nothing to do with our schedule or the fact we chose to travel straight to Boise. It was 100% that Idaho showed up!

I’m all for the team and very impressed with how our freshmen showed up this season, but they just got punched in the mouth and didn’t respond. They weren’t tired, they just got whooped. Not my intention to be disrespectful about the comments here, but I didn’t see tired legs or players that were mentally exhausted. I saw an Idaho team with an edge and they took it to us. That’s winning basketball. Our women took a beating and they’ll have that edge next time they play Idaho. I love our fan base and how we support Montana State athletics, but no excuses! I don’t care if Klinker is from Montana or Mississippi........ all I know is she isn’t a Bobcat and played her career game against us. It’s not fair to the players, Binford or her staff to lament how we missed signing her out of High School. I’m excited about the players we did sign. I was happy to see Skye stand up for her team! Loved the way Lexi has developed into an elite post offensive game. I think Kola is going to have a strong season and will respond to her late season benching and I’m confident that Moochi will be a significant force. I’m not going to tell you that in the 2020 season I would’ve rather had Klinker than Smith and Braxton. Hats off to Idaho for a great 2nd half........ looking forward to kicking their butts next year! Here’s hoping fans will be able to attend games next season! Everyone on this forum knows Binford is going to use the Idaho game as next seasons motivation!
I'm sorry, but what I saw in that second half from the not-so-lady Vandals was not basketball. It was jungle ball. You said it yourself that MSU got punched in the mouth. Usually that's used as a figure of speech, but in this case it was literal. That is not basketball. It's assault, and it's a piss poor reflection on the BSC that they allow that kind of way over the line physical play. For cripes sakes, Klinker dished out a concussion! That should NEVER happen on a basketball court, unless it's a nasty fall or some sort of hustle play running into something. Those elbows were thrown with malicious intent. Bush league officiating and bush league, dirty play.
Part of being a D1 basketball player is you have to adjust to how the game is being called by the refs. Yes it was a physical game, but the refs were letting them play and you can’t cry because it’s too physical! Yes they got punched on the mouth, but the only player that responded was Lindsey. I’m not saying that’s good basketball, but I liked the fire! Klinker threw some elbows that would’ve got her kicked out of the men’s game. But the refs didn’t call it. It sucked, but you have to respond! Trust me, last years team would’ve........ that’s what experience brings to the court!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:20 pm

I am just so proud of our program that I could burst. On all levels, with the players and coaches. Good students, good people, good players.

We were picked to be fourth in the conference, but we opened a big gap over fourth place. We were the youngest team in the nation. That, many places, would have spelled total disaster, a three-win season. We went with seven freshman, six of whom were high school players when we went on that pre-conference BYU/Utah road trip and showed very well. We dropped a couple early to UNC and PSU that could have been attributed to age — lots of mistakes, struggling to close out games. Then we started winning, and winning big. Finally we were one of only three teams to beat Idaho State all year. We tied Idaho at 13-3 in conference and yes, they got the conference tie-breaker, but if you just Google the Big Sky standings there is Montana State in second place (17-7) above Idaho (16-7). Starting with the 2019-2020 season and including tournament play we have an incredible 35-5 record against conference opponents. Remember how hard it is to win on the road in the Big Sky? Two road losses in two years, one by two points. Two home losses, one by one point in double OT.

So, there was not a large drop off from last year’s team, and now we get to start from here next year with three more very good recruits. Are we as good as the South Dakota teams who are getting respectable seeds in the tournament? No, but they are finally in sight ahead of us, and I believe we are gaining if for no other reason than that we have more of our learning curve ahead of our youngsters than they do. More room to improve. In one to two more years I expect to see that we are obviously cutting the gap. Obtaining and maintaining a rank in the mid-majors Top 25 should be a reachable goal. That would help us a lot in NCAA seedings. It’s the next thing measurable that I’m looking for. Hopefully we can play (and start to defeat) some of those ranked teams.

It’s very hard to get a good foothold on the path to continued and increased success. I believe that Coach Binford has us started! It’s always a good time to be a Bobcat, but it’s really good right now!

💙💛😸

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:09 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:20 pm
Starting with the 2019-2020 season and including tournament play we have an incredible 35-5 record against conference opponents. Remember how hard it is to win on the road in the Big Sky? Two road losses in two years, one by two points. Two home losses, one by one point in double OT.
Good grief! That's downright filthy!