WBB vs Sacramento

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB vs Sacramento

Post by rivercat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:52 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:43 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:39 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:56 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:48 pm
Might be shaping up to play SUU in the 2nd round? SUU beat NAU this weekend. They're pretty good. They just haven't played enough games so they're seeded at the bottom.
SUU is pretty good, but I'm thinking MSU would much rather have them as a QF opponent than a team like NAU. SUU lost to Sac State and needed 2 overtimes to beat Weber, so they haven't exactly shown a whole lot when they've played the worst teams in the league. They do have the nice home win over NAU and a road win against UNC, which is pretty much it in terms of wins against decent teams.
Well I hope SUU wins Friday and stays on the other side of the bracket...they moved into #5 seed overall after Wednesday. A last game win by SUU could move them into #4....a loss by SUU and Griz loss keeps them at #5. Both scenarios would be on other side of the bracket.

I know people are discounting SUU but they are still an enigma to me. They beat both Portland State and UNC who split with the Cats. They played Idaho to a 5 point game in Idaho. They have the nice win over NAU and a split with Sac State in their home-home series games. They also beat a 16-6 team of Grand Canyon University. With a win they would finish 12-7 overall (7-4 league) in a season that is probably one of the most disjointed in the Big Sky due to numbers of their cancellations....have they really been able to reach their potential with the disruptions in their schedule and practice?

Yes you can say my concern is foolish because they didn’t play Idaho State, MSU or Montana...Ok I get it. But they still have the leading scorer in the conference, 2 of the top 4 rebounders in the conference are from SUU, as a team they are the #1 rebounding margin team in the conference (an MSU weakness), they are #3 in the conference in FG percentage. I still think they could surprise someone in the tourney. Guess that’s why we play the game...paper analysis is exactly worth nothing.
Good thoughts guys. I’d rather not see either NAU or SUU in a quarter final game and if I’m reading the tea leaves correctly and the space time continuum doesn’t get disrupted, we won’t see either of them. Yes, SUU moved into 5th and pushed UM down to 6th and as near as I can tell the only way for that to flip back would be if SUU lost to PSU and UM would have to beat UI. Nothing else flips that and while Suu could lose their game I just don’t see UM winning their game. So if all goes as it should then here is how the women’s big sky bracket should start.
Game 1 PSU vs. EWU winner to play ISU in game 4
Game 2 NAU vs. WSU winner to play UI in game 6
Game 3 UM vs. SAC winner to play MSU in game 7
then Tuesday
Game 4 ISU vs. PSU
Game 5 UNC vs. SUU
Game 6 UI vs. NAU
Game 7 MSU vs. UM
Wednessday
Game 8 ISU vs. ?unc/suu?
Game 9 MSU vs. UI
Friday MSU beats ISU for the championship [-o< \:D/ =D^

I’d expect UM to win their opening game and lose to MSU which would put us in the semi game against UI most likely. Even though we dominated UM in our 2 wins over them it would be a dangerous thing to look past them.
Well crap. When I posted that I had no idea that U Idaho would be playing this game with only 8 players. The announcers couldn’t give the reason why so many players were out but one has to suspect Covid. To give some perspective on who Idaho is missing tonight, they are missing their 2nd and 3rd highest scorers who also happen to be their two highest minute players on the season but at least they have their 14th, 1th, and 10th highest scorers. It will take a huge effort for Idaho to beat UM in this one. SUU did win their game against PSU. but amazingly UI is ahead by 14 with 3 minutes to go. but Natalie Klinker just fouled out. Crazy
And Vandals win by 20. Bad for um.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 pm

Never mind, Idaho wins 92 - 72 They out scored the griz by 12 points in both the 3rd and 4th quarters. The announcer also said that 2 of Idaho's missing players were pre season all conference picks. It all drives home the point that the Vandals a really good team.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:06 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 pm
Never mind, Idaho wins 92 - 72 They out scored the griz by 12 points in both the 3rd and 4th quarters. The announcer also said that 2 of Idaho's missing players were pre season all conference picks. It all drives home the point that the Vandals a really good team.
Vandals are definitely good but the griz were awful at times tonight.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:11 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:06 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:

***Conspiracy theory alert***I'm not sure they gave their best effort. If they would have won it would have put us into second. I think they're foaming at the mouth the play us again. It's Petrino's only chance to keep the job in my opinion. They wanted to keep us on their side of the bracket.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:14 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:11 pm
rivercat wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:06 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:

***Conspiracy theory alert***I'm not sure they gave their best effort. If they would have won it would have put us into second. I think they're foaming at the mouth the play us again. It's Petrino's only chance to keep the job in my opinion. They wanted to keep us on their side of the bracket.
Funny! But I’d love to get through these tournaments without playing ummm ... um. Rivalry games within a tournament are just a wildcard.

SUU blew (and I mean blew) a 7-point lead to Portland in the final minute to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. I’ve always thought PSU was weak in end-game situations because they continue to play slowly and eat their own clock. SUU made about every mistake possible to lose this thing. Including playing with no passion. I don’t think they are going very far in the tournament.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:10 am

I’m excited for this team and the 7 freshmen. Going to take a lot of leadership to get them ready for the tournament. Noticed that Binford made a slight change in the starting line up yesterday. I’m not sure if that’s going to have an impact or it’s a nothing burger, but I think Skye could have a huge impact against the Idaho’s! Going to be a very interesting tourney....... I hope Covid stays out of it!

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:10 am
I’m excited for this team and the 7 freshmen. Going to take a lot of leadership to get them ready for the tournament. Noticed that Binford made a slight change in the starting line up yesterday. I’m not sure if that’s going to have an impact or it’s a nothing burger, but I think Skye could have a huge impact against the Idaho’s! Going to be a very interesting tourney....... I hope Covid stays out of it!
Bad Bear had one good game against ISU, but really hadn’t been a factor since mid-January. She’s spent most of games on the bench in foul trouble. I am surprised it took so long to start Lindsey, Deden, or Janssen in her place. I understand she’s a great team leader, though, so tougher to make the switch.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:13 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:22 pm
Catlady wrote:
Bad Bear had one good game against ISU, but really hadn’t been a factor since mid-January. She’s spent most of games on the bench in foul trouble. I am surprised it took so long to start Lindsey, Deden, or Janssen in her place. I understand she’s a great team leader, though, so tougher to make the switch.
The situation with her mom must be weighing heavily on her. Kola may actually do better coming off the bench, like Peyton Ferris. She seems to get her first foul or two very quickly. It might give her a chance to settle in before she’s in the fray. And to enter the game after the officials quit calling every little thing during the first four minutes. It will be interesting to see.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:20 pm

Catlady wrote:
I think the coaches have done a great job with the nation’s youngest team. They were just a covid cancellation or a missed play here or there early in the season from winning the conference! After the early loss to UNC and the egg against PSU, they have had a one loss season. It’s too bad the Idaho games got cancelled as those would have been good tournament preparation.