This program has serious decisions on 2021-22 (Meaning Sprinkle)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

This program has serious decisions on 2021-22 (Meaning Sprinkle)

Post by DawsonPirate » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:29 pm

This week with curiosity I watched every minute of the doubleheader of the MSU/EWU men's game. There is NO comparison of the talent and the team chemistry EWU exhibited.... The Bishop kid that left UMKC, I assume MSU expected huge dividends, but be honest the WAC is a poor conference and this player was non-existent vs. EWU.

Again watching for first time 2020-21 season _ why ALL the foreign players? Truthfully can you not find quality players in the eight (8) Western States? The staff supporting Sprinkle, he needs to think real hard? This program is not improved and 2020-21 and going into 2022, the favorite son who I want to see succeed; will not improve if handcuffed with the current roster numbers.

So here is the question to the site _ Who remains on the roster for 2021-22 and with pending NCAA rules of carry over from Covid-19 cost to the athletic budget needs to also be in the consideration.

Your foreign players cost your athletic department big time from OPEX standpoint, do you keep senior around for 6th year like a Kirby, and then waht players does the staff run-off, opening for the commitments coming in from HS and here we go again, Coach H bringing in more over rated global ballers and killing the $$$ Costello does not have.

Today you are getting blown and out coached ___ Walk-on and Manhatten Christian kid, go to practice and cheer on their teammates and don't get one minute. IMO poor statement from the boss (or) wanting run players off!

If there was NO Covid-19 this is 6-8 place team as I mentioned at the beginning of the year.

Don't sleep on Idaho State. Predicting a split.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: This program has serious decisions on 2021-22 (Meaning Sprinkle)

Post by canyoncat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:10 pm

Bellach is hurt bad hamstring.

GO CATS!!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:59 pm

Lost to defending champs and top team in league. If we split with ISU and sweep Idaho we are 9-5 and probably top 4. Quite a few new guys and as teams got film they have figured some ways to stop Xavier. EWU hit open threes we didn't. Not need to panic. I think year 4 before truly see what Sprinkle does with recruits and philosophy.

Sports is not bigger than life

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:48 am

EWU is very talented and I don't think those losses necessarily reveal serious problems with Coach Sprinkle's coaching. Frankly, I think he is doing marvelous work. I'm more than happy to be patient with him for years to come.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:10 pm

I was disappointed with the play this week, but I haven't given up on Sprinkle or this team. Cats were competitive in Weber, which is always a tough place to play. And Eastern appears to be much better than I expected. I think we need to see how the next three weeks pan. If we win 4-5 of the remaining 6 and get to the conference semi's, that's a huge improvement over what we typically see.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Coach Sprinkle’s “own” team is just starting to populate the roster. The freshmen this year, the freshmen next year. Long term growth potential, with increasing dividends. Development takes time, including for a first-time head coach. Check in with me again in 2-3 years.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:18 pm

DawsonPirate wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:29 pm
This week with curiosity I watched every minute of the doubleheader of the MSU/EWU men's game. There is NO comparison of the talent and the team chemistry EWU exhibited.... The Bishop kid that left UMKC, I assume MSU expected huge dividends, but be honest the WAC is a poor conference and this player was non-existent vs. EWU.

Again watching for first time 2020-21 season _ why ALL the foreign players? Truthfully can you not find quality players in the eight (8) Western States? The staff supporting Sprinkle, he needs to think real hard? This program is not improved and 2020-21 and going into 2022, the favorite son who I want to see succeed; will not improve if handcuffed with the current roster numbers.

So here is the question to the site _ Who remains on the roster for 2021-22 and with pending NCAA rules of carry over from Covid-19 cost to the athletic budget needs to also be in the consideration.

Your foreign players cost your athletic department big time from OPEX standpoint, do you keep senior around for 6th year like a Kirby, and then waht players does the staff run-off, opening for the commitments coming in from HS and here we go again, Coach H bringing in more over rated global ballers and killing the $$$ Costello does not have.

Today you are getting blown and out coached ___ Walk-on and Manhatten Christian kid, go to practice and cheer on their teammates and don't get one minute. IMO poor statement from the boss (or) wanting run players off!

If there was NO Covid-19 this is 6-8 place team as I mentioned at the beginning of the year.

Dude....... you don’t know hoops! Sprinkle is doing a great job and building a solid program. You’re lucky to have him!
🤡🤡

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:49 pm

Yeah, this is a silly thread. Sprinkle can coach. The thing on the foreign players is also silly. The big sky and low-majors in general have been heavily populated with foreign players for years now. Bliznyuk (sp), venky jois, harald frey, jawara currently at weber, breunig at Montana, the list goes on. If we're not climbing the league in 2-3 more years we can have this conversation.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:08 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:18 pm
DawsonPirate wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:29 pm

Dude....... you don’t know hoops! Sprinkle is doing a great job and building a solid program. You’re lucky to have him!
🤡🤡
Sad! Very Sad! I think we are finally on the right track in our men’s program. It’s funny, the other night our Women’s program was beating a team by 35 and the announcer complained that only 2 of our players was from Montana. It’s funny when you’re kicking a programs butt that they try to create problems in your program. Sprinkle is the right guy for a program that hasn’t performed well in a long time. He’s changing a culture and holding players accountable for their performance on and off the court. I think we’re going to be very good very soon!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:54 pm

I suspect he was from a state with a population of 7 million. Montana is approximately 1,000,000 in a 330,000,000 population country. At that ratio, only 1 in 330 D-1 players would be from Montana. To have two and another coming next year is pretty good, when you consider the level that the team is playing at. There are not many D-1 players to go around, and some choose other options. Well done, Trish. Carry on.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:23 pm

Coach Binford didn't finish above 3rd place in the Big Sky until her 11th season at MSU. Since then, three championships in five years and another championship contender this year that will only get better as they mature. Are we happy that administration gave her time to build and didn't fire her after 4 or 5 years of decent but not great teams? I'd say so.

Give Danny time, he inherited a mediocre at best program and success doesn't happen instantly - see Coach Choate and the football program. Personally I'm glad he isn't using the Weber State rent-a-team model.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:41 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:23 pm
Coach Binford didn't finish above 3rd place in the Big Sky until her 11th season at MSU. Since then, three championships in five years and another championship contender this year that will only get better as they mature. Are we happy that administration gave her time to build and didn't fire her after 4 or 5 years of decent but not great teams? I'd say so.

Give Danny time, he inherited a mediocre at best program and success doesn't happen instantly - see Coach Choate and the football program. Personally I'm glad he isn't using the Weber State rent-a-team model.
Excellent perspective. Frankly I need to be reminded from time to time.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:28 am

I think Dawson Pirate is a troll.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:01 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:41 pm
MSU01 wrote:

Sorry...got to chime in here to add or perhaps correct the stats quoted above. I attach the link to Tricia bio on the MSU Bobcat site below. If it doesn’t work, just go to the team roster at msubobcat.com to find.

Tricia did have a bit better earlier success than that quoted above as shown in her bio. Her teams actually finished 3rd in seasons #3,4,6,7. Not shown on the bio link but available in the record book, she took the team to the championship game of the Big Sky Tournament in her 3rd season (lost chipper to Montana) and her 5th season (lost chipper to Portland State).

But I agree with the context of the post. We stuck with the program Tricia was building for many years. Her only losing seasons were her first two years. We consistently had competitive teams but we were middle to upper middle of the pack. She continued to bring in quality players who were quality people that we would be proud to call Bobcats. She eventually got the program over the hump to where we have been a top contender in the conference the last 5 years and we will be for the foreseeable future.

Danny Sprinkle will get us there too!

https://msubobcats.com/sports/womens-ba ... inford/825

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:15 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:01 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Sorry...got to chime in here to add or perhaps correct the stats quoted above. I attach the link to Tricia bio on the MSU Bobcat site below. If it doesn’t work, just go to the team roster at msubobcat.com to find.

Tricia did have a bit better earlier success than that quoted above as shown in her bio. Her teams actually finished 3rd in seasons #3,4,6,7. Not shown on the bio link but available in the record book, she took the team to the championship game of the Big Sky Tournament in her 3rd season (lost chipper to Montana) and her 5th season (lost chipper to Portland State).

But I agree with the context of the post. We stuck with the program Tricia was building for many years. Her only losing seasons were her first two years. We consistently had competitive teams but we were middle to upper middle of the pack. She continued to bring in quality players who were quality people that we would be proud to call Bobcats. She eventually got the program over the hump to where we have been a top contender in the conference the last 5 years and we will be for the foreseeable future.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say there. I did realize that Coach Binford's early MSU teams had several 3rd place finishes (and I was there in Missoula watching in person when she took MSU to the championship game), but she didn't finish above 3rd (i.e. 1st or 2nd) in the regular season standings until her 11th season. Much like what's currently happening with Sprinkle and the men's teams, she had trouble getting over the hump for quite some time against the established top programs in the conference, namely Robin Selvig and the UM dynasty. Fortunately, the administration recognized her talent as a coach and had the patience to let her build the program. IMO, Sprinkle is a similar level of talent to Binford and is miles away from the coaches MSU had since Mick Durham left. He won't get there immediately but I have little doubt that he will get there.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:11 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:15 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:01 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say there. I did realize that Coach Binford's early MSU teams had several 3rd place finishes (and I was there in Missoula watching in person when she took MSU to the championship game), but she didn't finish above 3rd (i.e. 1st or 2nd) in the regular season standings until her 11th season. Much like what's currently happening with Sprinkle and the men's teams, she had trouble getting over the hump for quite some time against the established top programs in the conference, namely Robin Selvig and the UM dynasty. Fortunately, the administration recognized her talent as a coach and had the patience to let her build the program. IMO, Sprinkle is a similar level of talent to Binford and is miles away from the coaches MSU had since Mick Durham left. He won't get there immediately but I have little doubt that he will get there.
Yep...got it. And agree.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:34 pm

I see that Stedman is leaving the Griz! Tough league for a true Big! Ask Jabril! Refs don’t understand post play!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:44 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:34 pm
I see that Stedman is leaving the Griz! Tough league for a true Big! Ask Jabril! Refs don’t understand post play!
Is that the reason he's leaving? I'm guessing there's more to it, but I get it. Who wants to be called for two fouls in the first five minutes and then sit the bench for 15...or the alternative-let the guy you're defending score at will on you.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:53 pm

That’s big sky hoops! It’s a guard’s conference! The kid has talent, but in my opinion came to he wrong conference!

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Wow. What is going on with the UM basketball team? Steadman was not playing near what he was advertised as (picked as the preseason MVP, I believe), but still a huge loss to lose a good 6’-10” big man midway through the season. The EWU big man will eat them up this weekend.