Depth of WBB team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Depth of WBB team

Post by aucat » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:31 am

I used to complain about Coach Binford taking out the starters after only a few minutes. No more will I do that.

The second game with Weber is a great example. MSU had just won by 50 points and you could tell the starters
were not that fired up. And I can certainly understand that. Darian was not playing well. Nobody was.

Weber was up 24-22. Tricia called time out and a total new team came in, mostly freshmen. The Cats went on
a 17-0 run. There are so many talented players on this team. They play hard and these ladies can flat out shoot the rock.

I wouldn't sell this team short against any other team in the Big Sky THIS year, but just imagine what this team
might look like in a couple of years when all of these talented freshmen are juniors? Or heck, next year when they are sophs?

Go Cats!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Depth of WBB team

Post by CelticCat » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:09 am

aucat wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:31 am
I used to complain about Coach Binford taking out the starters after only a few minutes. No more will I do that.

The second game with Weber is a great example. MSU had just won by 50 points and you could tell the starters
were not that fired up. And I can certainly understand that. Darian was not playing well. Nobody was.

Weber was up 24-22. Tricia called time out and a total new team came in, mostly freshmen. The Cats went on
a 17-0 run. There are so many talented players on this team. They play hard and these ladies can flat out shoot the rock.

I wouldn't sell this team short against any other team in the Big Sky THIS year, but just imagine what this team
might look like in a couple of years when all of these talented freshmen are juniors? Or heck, next year when they are sophs?

Go Cats!
This was supposed to be the rebuilding year. The Cats are going to be very, very good for at least the next 2 years.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:38 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:09 am
aucat wrote:

Go Cats!
This was supposed to be the rebuilding year. The Cats are going to be very, very good for at least the next 2 years.
Binford has built this program to the point they reload rather than rebuild.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm

CelticCat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Go Cats!
I disagree! 2 years.....This team is going to have a 4-5 year run like no other. This year does not count against eligibility so as far as the NCAA goes they get two freshmen years. I see the Cats winning the Big Sky at a crazy rate...... going to be tough this year, but after that it’s going to be like Tom Brady........

The question is can the program keep Binford.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:13 pm

Catlady wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm
CelticCat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Go Cats!
I disagree! 2 years.....This team is going to have a 4-5 year run like no other. This year does not count against eligibility so as far as the NCAA goes they get two freshmen years. I see the Cats winning the Big Sky at a crazy rate...... going to be tough this year, but after that it’s going to be like Tom Brady........

The question is can the program keep Binford.
Spot on. She could get hired tomorrow at the next level for multiple times what she is making here. It was a positive move when we elected to make her the highest paid woman’s coach in the conference and higher than Sprinkle. If she gets this program to the level of South Dakota State that is consistently beating upper level conference teams, she will be highly highly sought after!

Four more years with this freshmen class. At least half would be starting at other conference teams. And Tricia has already said 2 of the 3 new recruits next year will compete for a starting job!!! Think of that...with the crew of freshman, sophomore, juniors we have this year snd she feels at least 2 of the new recruits could win a starting spot against that crew!! My gosh!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:00 pm

aucat wrote:

Go Cats!
Either great or not so great minds think alike. After reaching the conference mid-season, I was going to post a similar thread just to test the thinking after all the banter last year. And with my nose in the air, I "smugly" admit I thought Coach was doing "just fine" last year.

I'm trying to figure if the bench is deeper this year or last....and how in the world is she going to keep all these great kids here with playing time split like it is! I think our starting rotation was a bit stronger last year particularly in the middle with Freiji, Smith, Braxton combos but our bench is just as strong this year but just lacking in D1 playing time.

Look at the last six games... and Weber probably is not a fair example but is included.... of the total points scored by the Bobcats in the game, the Bobcat bench has scored 58%, 51%, 40%, 26%, 48% and 42% of the final score. Examples abound like you mentioned above in the second Weber game, Cats behind and Taylor Janssen sinks a pair of free throws, Beattie nails a trey, VanSickle buries a trey and we never look back. Look at the second Griz game, we build a good lead in the first quarter and the Griz started to make a charge in Q2, Janssen again steps in to nails 11 points in the second quarter to send us to half time with a 9 point lead (a huge boost to the Cats) and then Lindsay comes of the bench for a few minutes and gets a big 6 points and key rebounds. We could go on and on with big games by Deden, Beattie and Ranson (4 of 5 from arc one game).

Look at our starting line-up Martell, Mocchi, White, Bad Bear, and Limardo. Who deserves to set from that group? Martell and Mocchi are both shooting over 45% from the arc this season. White is all world. Limardo is getting better and better....her speed, her defense, her game awareness, her hustle...if she was putting in a few more points she would have a legitimate chance of FOY. Bad Bear continues to improve and if could stay out of foul trouble could have a major presence in the middle.

Then you look at the top 6 or 7 subs..... Jackson, Lindsay, Deden, Beattie, Janssen, Ranson, VanSickle (shooting 64% from the arc in last 7 games). I could pick 5 of those ladies that would start at many clubs in the Big Sky! I probably would be in the upper half of the conference with those folks on their own team......think about the starters having to practice against this crew?! Also imagine if we get a kid or two down with injury or Covid protocol, we won't miss a beat.

Interesting year and future for the Lady Cats.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Hopefully the players don't get to hung up on who's starting. It has been so fun watching these players improve from game to game. They are all good players to start with, they are being coached very well, they are responding to coaching very well, and they just seem to get it. I'm really looking forward to seeing them live and in person!

standup
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by standup » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:43 am

I'd like to see a scrimmage 1s vs 2s!

it is no more reasonable for me to dictate your fan experience than it is for you to dictate mine

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:51 pm

standup wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:43 am
:thumbup:

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:59 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:51 pm
standup wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:43 am
:thumbup:
Darian White would be the one big difference. Otherwise, it really does look like the ones and twos are pretty interchangeable.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:01 pm

Take a look at Van Sickle assist and scoring since she’s been healthy. Darian is amazing, but you have to like the team when Ashley is running the offense!

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:38 am

Catlady wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:01 pm
Take a look at Van Sickle assist and scoring since she’s been healthy. Darian is amazing, but you have to like the team when Ashley is running the offense!
Your right about Van Sickle. I have been really impressed with her play. Just like so many on this team, when substitutions are made, I find myself anxious to see what they will do and who is going to catch fire. Ashley would start on most BSC teams.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:08 am

rivercat wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:38 am
Catlady wrote:
Your right about Van Sickle. I have been really impressed with her play. Just like so many on this team, when substitutions are made, I find myself anxious to see what they will do and who is going to catch fire. Ashley would start on most BSC teams.
I also agree about Ashley. She is giving us some great minutes and allowing Darian to stay fresh. My only point is that Darian is obviously a super special talent that really tilts the court in our favor any time she is playing. I think she is one of the best point guards in the country, not just the Big Sky Conference.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:32 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:08 am
rivercat wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:38 am
Catlady wrote:
I also agree about Ashley. She is giving us some great minutes and allowing Darian to stay fresh. My only point is that Darian is obviously a super special talent that really tilts the court in our favor any time she is playing. I think she is one of the best point guards in the country, not just the Big Sky Conference.
No argument here.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:38 pm

I’m a huge Darian fan, but she desperately needs to develop an outside shot because defenders are starting to figure her out. The job of a point guard is to make your teammates better! I feel that Ashley is starting to have that impact. Darian is a scoring point guard, but she’s got to improve her outside shot and has capable teammates that could be more effective if Darian would pass! I agree, she’s an awesome talent, but this team has a lot of talent! We need to utilize it as much as possible. Not being critical of Darian, I just really like this team!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:38 pm
I’m a huge Darian fan, but she desperately needs to develop an outside shot because defenders are starting to figure her out. The job of a point guard is to make your teammates better! I feel that Ashley is starting to have that impact. Darian is a scoring point guard, but she’s got to improve her outside shot and has capable teammates that could be more effective if Darian would pass! I agree, she’s an awesome talent, but this team has a lot of talent! We need to utilize it as much as possible. Not being critical of Darian, I just really like this team!
Can I say it just a little bit differently....she just needs “confidence” in taking the outside shot rather than pushing it to the middle all the time. She is shooting right about 35% from the arc this year...as a reference the all time #9 and #10 career 3-pt shooters for the Cats averaged about 35%. And continuing to work on the arc shot to push that average up near 40% will just add to her “toolkit” as well as giving her more confidence to take the shot...I personally would let her take that 3pt shot all day long at her current level if she didn’t have a couple 45% shooters on the floor with her. And who am I to argue with the confidence she has in her game taking it to the middle plus drawing fouls to supplement her 80% effectiveness at the FT line.

On assists, she is averaging 4 per game. Hannah Caudill, the all time assist leader averaged 4.2 assists per game. Oliana Squires the #10 all time assist leader averaged 2.6 assists per game. At her current pace Darian will move into the Lady Cat top 10 all time assist leader board as a junior....don’t know that she can catch Hannah but she will get well up that leader board by the time she graduates.

Don’t forget she also leads the team in rebounding and steals as well as scoring.

Guess I really don’t have much constructive advice to a young lady who will likely be one of the greatest of all time on multiple record books by the time she leaves.

And I love the style of play that Ashley brings on the court too!

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Earlier in this thread there was some talk about how vulnerable we might be to having coach Binford lured away by a bigger name school with a big paycheck. I selfishly hope that doesn't happen but know that she has to look really good to many schools. Boise might be the biggest threat as that is where she was a star player and their current coach has said himself that he is in the 4th quarter of his career.
Another thing that's a potential problem is keeping all of the great talent we have happy. Throughout her career Binford has done a very good job of involving her bench and her top talent and keeping everyone pretty happy with their court time. I think 2 perfect examples for our current players to look at are our 2 youngest coaches. Blaire Braxton worked her way up to be a starter as a junior but then as a senior came off the bench more. She handled it like a champ and it looks like it worked out pretty good for her as a player and beyond. Peyton Ferris is another great example. She was the Big Sky's Reserve of the Year in both 2015 and 2016 and then in 2017 vaulted up to the Sky's MVP. Again patience and sharing time worked out great for her and the team. Granted Binford has never had so many players at such high and nearly even talent but if they'll trust that things will be done right I think they'll all have the very best playing career they could ever dream of right here at MSU.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:20 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:18 pm
Earlier in this thread there was some talk about how vulnerable we might be to having coach Binford lured away by a bigger name school with a big paycheck. I selfishly hope that doesn't happen but know that she has to look really good to many schools. Boise might be the biggest threat as that is where she was a star player and their current coach has said himself that he is in the 4th quarter of his career.
Another thing that's a potential problem is keeping all of the great talent we have happy. Throughout her career Binford has done a very good job of involving her bench and her top talent and keeping everyone pretty happy with their court time. I think 2 perfect examples for our current players to look at are our 2 youngest coaches. Blaire Braxton worked her way up to be a starter as a junior but then as a senior came off the bench more. She handled it like a champ and it looks like it worked out pretty good for her as a player and beyond. Peyton Ferris is another great example. She was the Big Sky's Reserve of the Year in both 2015 and 2016 and then in 2017 vaulted up to the Sky's MVP. Again patience and sharing time worked out great for her and the team. Granted Binford has never had so many players at such high and nearly even talent but if they'll trust that things will be done right I think they'll all have the very best playing career they could ever dream of right here at MSU.

Ouch! Don’t tell me that about Binford and Boise! I don’t want to hear it! I think I will toss myself on the floor and throw a fit right now. But i must admit that is a very real and logical possible scenario based on what you say.

Minor correction on Blair Braxton and something that even made me prouder of her as a person. Blair actually started all 32 games as a freshman (even the NCAA game against Washington) and 17 games as a sophomore. Blair’s strength was defense and rebounding but coach kept searching for more scoring combinations and Madeline brought that... so Blair was relegated to the back up role. She could have left the team right then. She kept her dauber up, she became the teams “mother hen” like we talked about Kola doing this year, she kept the team together in the locker room in trying times, it was a treat when you would see Blair on her knees talking to some of the young girl fans after a game, but when she got her minutes in a game she was a game changer...an example was the tourney games in Boise last year and her 10 ppg and solid defense. When they needed toughness in the middle in a game it was Blair who came in and she didn’t get pushed around. She was involved in that critical inbound pass steal that helped save and open up the NAU game. Off the court a wonderful person. That’s the type of kid Tricia brings in and makes you proud to support the Lady Cats. I am sure Tricia had to have some long talks with Blair trying to ensure she felt she was valuable to the team....and she was!!

(And I am still upset at Blair not getting Big Sky Reserve of the Year....but then how do you argue with Tori receiving the award!!! I just wanted Blair to win it for her as a person).

Setting a common goal that all the ladies can see and then making them feel like they all are a part of is the key. A vision and belief by this group they can go to the NCAA and win several rounds would be a powerful driver. In the second Griz game Jansen came off the bench in the second quarter to score 11 points almost single handedly holding off a rally, then Lindsay comes off the bench to get some critical rebounds and add 6 points.....but what you probably weren’t able to see from a fan standpoint was Tricia rewarding those two ladies and being sure they understood how important their contribution was. That’ll keep you coming back.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:14 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:20 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Ouch! Don’t tell me that about Binford and Boise! I don’t want to hear it! I think I will toss myself on the floor and throw a fit right now. But i must admit that is a very real and logical possible scenario based on what you say.

Minor correction on Blair Braxton and something that even made me prouder of her as a person. Blair actually started all 32 games as a freshman (even the NCAA game against Washington) and 17 games as a sophomore. Blair’s strength was defense and rebounding but coach kept searching for more scoring combinations and Madeline brought that... so Blair was relegated to the back up role. She could have left the team right then. She kept her dauber up, she became the teams “mother hen” like we talked about Kola doing this year, she kept the team together in the locker room in trying times, it was a treat when you would see Blair on her knees talking to some of the young girl fans after a game, but when she got her minutes in a game she was a game changer...an example was the tourney games in Boise last year and her 10 ppg and solid defense. When they needed toughness in the middle in a game it was Blair who came in and she didn’t get pushed around. She was involved in that critical inbound pass steal that helped save and open up the NAU game. Off the court a wonderful person. That’s the type of kid Tricia brings in and makes you proud to support the Lady Cats. I am sure Tricia had to have some long talks with Blair trying to ensure she felt she was valuable to the team....and she was!!

(And I am still upset at Blair not getting Big Sky Reserve of the Year....but then how do you argue with Tori receiving the award!!! I just wanted Blair to win it for her as a person).

Setting a common goal that all the ladies can see and then making them feel like they all are a part of is the key. A vision and belief by this group they can go to the NCAA and win several rounds would be a powerful driver. In the second Griz game Jansen came off the bench in the second quarter to score 11 points almost single handedly holding off a rally, then Lindsay comes off the bench to get some critical rebounds and add 6 points.....but what you probably weren’t able to see from a fan standpoint was Tricia rewarding those two ladies and being sure they understood how important their contribution was. That’ll keep you coming back.
Wow thanks for the correction and the insight into the rest of the story, that is an awesome career path she had. My plan is if I ever hear of serious talk that Binford is headed to an interview I'm planting myself at the airport and doing all I can to make her miss her flight. selfish yes

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:34 am

Montana State Women's Basketball '19-'20 Season Highlight
https://youtu.be/EndC2IiTieo