Lady Cat vs. griz game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Lady Cat vs. griz game

Post by RickRund » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:32 pm

As the griz played better than Thursday and our LADY CATS did not and still pulled out a respectable win is really nice to see. They did what was necessary when it was needed. Great group.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:21 pm

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:57 pm

This young team has terrific talent and depth. I am sorry to see that Gfeller is only a sophomore. She is really a tough player to guard.

So this is the third straight year that the Cats have swept UM? For those of us who suffered through the Selvig dynasty, this is
a great time to be a Bobcat.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:39 am

I have a question. Trish and her players who had been there before kept saying “Dahlberg is a really tough place to play.” With the bleachers full of nutcases that are within reach of the players, I can see that. I’ve been to one game there and the architecture seemed almost unfair, especially compared to Worthington Arena. But the nutcases were absent, and the bleachers were even rolled back. Other than the court appearing to be lit better for TV, what would make Dahlberg Arena a tough place to play today? Or at least any tougher than any other road arena? Just really curious. The Bobcat three-point shooters didn’t seem to be bothered by anything.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:03 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:39 am
I have a question. Trish and her players who had been there before kept saying “Dahlberg is a really tough place to play.” With the bleachers full of nutcases that are within reach of the players, I can see that. I’ve been to one game there and the architecture seemed almost unfair, especially compared to Worthington Arena. But the nutcases were absent, and the bleachers were even rolled back. Other than the court appearing to be lit better for TV, what would make Dahlberg Arena a tough place to play today? Or at least any tougher than any other road arena? Just really curious. The Bobcat three-point shooters didn’t seem to be bothered by anything.
Probably just standard sports cliche speak. "Tough place to play", "Very strong opponent", "Take it one play at a time", etc.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:25 am

aucat wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:57 pm
This young team has terrific talent and depth. I am sorry to see that Gfeller is only a sophomore. She is really a tough player to guard.

So this is the third straight year that the Cats have swept UM? For those of us who suffered through the Selvig dynasty, this is
Ha! I had the same thoughts...”dang, tough kid, I don’t want to play her 2 more years”. Then I thought...well the Griz fans are sitting over there saying geez I don’t want to play White two more years or Beattie, Deden, limardo, etc etc 3 more years!

But yeah, if they get some shooting guards, they certainly have a good post to build around. And I don’t doubt that a couple of their freshmen can come on a bit. I saw Molmberg play in Box Elder a number of times and she can shoot the trey pretty well...and Keller, the Gatorade Player of the Year out of Havre must not be a slouch so she could pick them up in time.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:41 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:25 am
aucat wrote:

Ha! I had the same thoughts...”dang, tough kid, I don’t want to play her 2 more years”. Then I thought...well the Griz fans are sitting over there saying geez I don’t want to play White two more years or Beattie, Deden, limardo, etc etc 3 more years!

But yeah, if they get some shooting guards, they certainly have a good post to build around. And I don’t doubt that a couple of their freshmen can come on a bit. I saw Molmberg play in Box Elder a number of times and she can shoot the trey pretty well...and Keller, the Gatorade Player of the Year out of Havre must not be a slouch so she could pick them up in time.
Does this season count toward eligibility? If not, we might have Darian for 3 more years.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:50 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:41 am
BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:

Does this season count toward eligibility? If not, we might have Darian for 3 more years.

No it does not. So yes you are right, she could hang around for 3 more years.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:46 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:50 am
Cataholic wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:

If it’s a free eligibility year then something has to give for next year. I believe we are allowed 15 scholarships (no partials) and Binford is using them all this year. With three incoming freshman next year, do Martell and/or Van Sickle graduate and move on with their lives? Will there be cuts/transfers after the season and how many? Has the NCAA temporally expanded the scholarship limit? Is there such a thing as gray shirting incoming freshman in WB?

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 pm

I am posting this article because of comment Bill made about Lexi Deden and the progress she has made.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... a663a.html

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:44 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:46 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:50 am
Cataholic wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:

If it’s a free eligibility year then something has to give for next year. I believe we are allowed 15 scholarships (no partials) and Binford is using them all this year. With three incoming freshman next year, do Martell and/or Van Sickle graduate and move on with their lives? Will there be cuts/transfers after the season and how many? Has the NCAA temporally expanded the scholarship limit? Is there such a thing as gray shirting incoming freshman in WB?
Yes the scholarship limit is expanded next year to accommodate those athletes who wish to return. Ultimately the schools will have to get back to limits. You have identified the challenges, identifying early who will return, how are we going to fund the extra scholarships, what do you do with an inflated roster? We only have Tori as a senior so all the others conceivably will return. But usually we lose a few every year for various reasons....so I think the jury is out on how big the roster grows next year with 3 girls coming in and perhaps only Tori leaving.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Boy I hope Coach Bin hangs around for a long, long time. What a great job she is doing assembling talent and coaching them up.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:35 pm

"The one thing that won’t change is the style of play. The ‘Cats were visibly quicker at almost every position."

Agree. I saw Stiles play in three State tournaments and her quickness was exceptional. But Darian made her look silly a few times.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm

Yeah Stiles has always been crazy quick and great ball handler. I haven’t seen enough of her play lately but I wonder if she lost a step from her knee injury and surgery. I had to laugh during yesterdays game when the grizy announcer said that Stiles had a mismatch one time when she was being guarded by Limbardo. He may have thought Stiles had the upper hand in that match up but I think she might have been the underdog. Are my glasses too blue or is Limbardo that good on defense?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:13 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm
I had to laugh during yesterdays game when the grizy announcer said that Stiles had a mismatch one time when she was being guarded by Limbardo. He may have thought Stiles had the upper hand in that match up but I think she might have been the underdog. Are my glasses too blue or is Limbardo that good on defense?
I had the exact same thought. Limardo's lateral quickness guarding the perimeter is excellent. If I recall, Stiles ended up passing it off?

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:22 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Yeah Stiles has always been crazy quick and great ball handler. I haven’t seen enough of her play lately but I wonder if she lost a step from her knee injury and surgery. I had to laugh during yesterdays game when the grizy announcer said that Stiles had a mismatch one time when she was being guarded by Limbardo. He may have thought Stiles had the upper hand in that match up but I think she might have been the underdog. Are my glasses too blue or is Limbardo that good on defense?
There have been a couple of games where KJ Limardo has not scored, but Trish’s comments I think explain her other skills including defense. She said that “the kids know how to get minutes — play defense.” And in crunch time at the of one of KJ’s tough scoring games, Trish said “I just couldn’t take her off the court.” I think in two nutshells that sums up Katelynn’s defensive powers. 6-2, long and quick and doesn’t foul herself out. Future Big Sky Defensive MVP.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:26 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:

We have a 6’6” roof coming next year for Gfeller to contend with. Hein is mobile, a good volleyball player, and is devoting this year to improving the skills she’ll need in college. No one will outwork her.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:39 pm

Lest anyone thinks women's basketball players aren't tough. This happens to Darian at least three times per game:

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:46 am

There is no substitute for a quick point guard who can drive it to the hole, dish it out when needed,
and draw fouls as Darian does here. Absolutely a tough kid is right.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:09 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
I had a similar thought watching Stiles this week....and wished I could have watched in person because you can’t always full appreciate the skills watching on the tube. I can remember when she came in during the Cat Griz games as a freshman and she brought a whole other level of energy to the court. Defensively and offensively. And she matched the speed we had at the time...Oliana and Hannah. The terrible knee injury could have taken a toll. Is she back to full speed or say 95%? Or are we just that much quicker than she ever was...Darian is at another level all by herself I know!!?