Lady Cat vs. griz game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Lady Cat vs. griz game

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:35 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:26 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:25 am
aucat wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:57 pm
This young team has terrific talent and depth. I am sorry to see that Gfeller is only a sophomore. She is really a tough player to guard.

So this is the third straight year that the Cats have swept UM? For those of us who suffered through the Selvig dynasty, this is
a great time to be a Bobcat.
Ha! I had the same thoughts...”dang, tough kid, I don’t want to play her 2 more years”. Then I thought...well the Griz fans are sitting over there saying geez I don’t want to play White two more years or Beattie, Deden, limardo, etc etc 3 more years!

But yeah, if they get some shooting guards, they certainly have a good post to build around. And I don’t doubt that a couple of their freshmen can come on a bit. I saw Molmberg play in Box Elder a number of times and she can shoot the trey pretty well...and Keller, the Gatorade Player of the Year out of Havre must not be a slouch so she could pick them up in time.
We have a 6’6” roof coming next year for Gfeller to contend with. Hein is mobile, a good volleyball player, and is devoting this year to improving the skills she’ll need in college. No one will outwork her.
I was going to ask if anyone has seen Hein play? I have not. It’s very rare to find a lady in the 6’5” range that comes in with the college level strength and speed. Yes there are some and folks will probably chime in with a bunch of names like Ogumwike who went to high school where my kids went or maybe Barta.....but not the norm.....

Long an lean ladies often come in the first year “slow afoot” and struggle with moving their feet on defense, get pushed around underneath, and get winded fairly easily......so a more compactly built and mobile post like Gfeller can dominate them.... If you watch the replays on Jansen now you will see she often doesn’t move her feet well on defense and resorts to reaching in with the long arms. And Undoubtedly the coaches will have her working on speed and strength drills/weights....and you always see a major change by year 2, 3 and 4. The 6’5” or 6’ 6” lady at Portland State last year comes to mind....no doubt she was a force in the middle due to sheer size but our senior ladies Braxton, Smith, Freiji could handle her and dominate the paint.

Anyway, just asking out of curiosity from those who have seen her play. Will she dominate as a freshman or will she be a work in progress. I see her Forsyth high school team is 5-3 this year so teams are finding ways to beat them....

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:25 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:
This young team has terrific talent and depth. I am sorry to see that Gfeller is only a sophomore. She is really a tough player to guard.

So this is the third straight year that the Cats have swept UM? For those of us who suffered through the Selvig dynasty, this is
Ha! I had the same thoughts...”dang, tough kid, I don’t want to play her 2 more years”. Then I thought...well the Griz fans are sitting over there saying geez I don’t want to play White two more years or Beattie, Deden, limardo, etc etc 3 more years!

But yeah, if they get some shooting guards, they certainly have a good post to build around. And I don’t doubt that a couple of their freshmen can come on a bit. I saw Molmberg play in Box Elder a number of times and she can shoot the trey pretty well...and Keller, the Gatorade Player of the Year out of Havre must not be a slouch so she could pick them up in time.
We have a 6’6” roof coming next year for Gfeller to contend with. Hein is mobile, a good volleyball player, and is devoting this year to improving the skills she’ll need in college. No one will outwork her.
I've seen Hein play several times, including a consolation game at state B her sophomore year where Forsyth had 35 points early in the 4th quarter and she had 33 of them. She is skilled around the basket, moves well, and is a good free throw shooter. It will be interesting to see what Coach Bin does with her.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:38 pm

Image[/img]
imacat wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 pm
I am posting this article because of comment Bill made about Lexi Deden and the progress she has made.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... a663a.html
That's a decent article and has some complimentary statements about Cat coaches and players but I'm taking issue with a couple of things in it. First it's nice that he says Deden has progressed, which she has done, but to call it magic is a disservice to Deden's hard work, the great coaching she's getting and the pushing and encouragement her teammates provide. Whatever

He also wrote this: It's hard to take if you're a long-time Montana fan. Even harder when you consider this year's Montana State team is almost as young as Montana (although the Cats do have last season's Big Sky Conference freshman of the year in Darian White and sixth player of the year in Tori Martell).
That bolded part is pure griz scat.

Take a look at the years out of high school ie. years in college program for each school's players.
number of players in each year category for UM.. 1yr. 5 players, 2yr. 1 player, 3yr. 5 players, 4yr. 3 players, 5yr. 1 player
number of players in each year category for MSU 1yr. 6 players, 2yr. 5 players, 3yr. 3 players, 4yr. 1 player, 5yr. 0 players

Sorry my chart is so poor I don't know how to get it to post like I wanted it but those numbers speak for themselves about the comparative ages of the two teams so I won't even say "you do the math". Comparatively MSU has more younger players and UM has more older players.

He could have had said that it appears the MSU freshmen came into college ball more skilled and prepared and have advanced more quickly than UM freshmen or... said the MSU frosh. and soph. in general have advanced from more court time in games than UM players have had the chance to.
or... said that coach Binford and her staff have done an excellent job of recruiting, developing talent and creating a good team atmosphere.
(Not pinning most of the above on Petrino as he was handed a dumpster fire)
Anyone of those statements would have been more accurate than the griz reporter whine of oh we're so young bla bla bla.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:25 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:25 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:

I've seen Hein play several times, including a consolation game at state B her sophomore year where Forsyth had 35 points early in the 4th quarter and she had 33 of them. She is skilled around the basket, moves well, and is a good free throw shooter. It will be interesting to see what Coach Bin does with her.
@BobcatDel Here is an article about Lindsey Hein that may answer some of your questions. She received offers from MSU, Montana, Iowa State, Nebraska and North Dakota State.

https://406mtsports.com/high-school/ba ... dd81f.html

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:36 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:25 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:

@BobcatDel Here is an article about Lindsey Hein that may answer some of your questions. She received offers from MSU, Montana, Iowa State, Nebraska and North Dakota State.

Thank you.....

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:45 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:35 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:

I was going to ask if anyone has seen Hein play? I have not. It’s very rare to find a lady in the 6’5” range that comes in with the college level strength and speed. Yes there are some and folks will probably chime in with a bunch of names like Ogumwike who went to high school where my kids went or maybe Barta.....but not the norm.....

Long an lean ladies often come in the first year “slow afoot” and struggle with moving their feet on defense, get pushed around underneath, and get winded fairly easily......so a more compactly built and mobile post like Gfeller can dominate them.... If you watch the replays on Jansen now you will see she often doesn’t move her feet well on defense and resorts to reaching in with the long arms. And Undoubtedly the coaches will have her working on speed and strength drills/weights....and you always see a major change by year 2, 3 and 4. The 6’5” or 6’ 6” lady at Portland State last year comes to mind....no doubt she was a force in the middle due to sheer size but our senior ladies Braxton, Smith, Freiji could handle her and dominate the paint.

Anyway, just asking out of curiosity from those who have seen her play. Will she dominate as a freshman or will she be a work in progress. I see her Forsyth high school team is 5-3 this year so teams are finding ways to beat them....
Hein's Forsyth team has a lopsided loss to Colstrip and two losses to Roundup because they are not strong at guard and have a hard time getting her the ball around the basket. I don't think she will dominate at MSU as a freshman. After all, she will be on a team with plenty of young, talented frontcourt players and minutes will be hard to get. I would expect a redshirt year. But I think by her sophomore year she will be getting solid minutes and by her junior/senior year she will be very very good. She is certainly no stiff. I think she will have a great career.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:00 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:38 pm
Image[/img]
imacat wrote:
I am posting this article because of comment Bill made about Lexi Deden and the progress she has made.

That's a decent article and has some complimentary statements about Cat coaches and players but I'm taking issue with a couple of things in it. First it's nice that he says Deden has progressed, which she has done, but to call it magic is a disservice to Deden's hard work, the great coaching she's getting and the pushing and encouragement her teammates provide. Whatever

He also wrote this: It's hard to take if you're a long-time Montana fan. Even harder when you consider this year's Montana State team is almost as young as Montana (although the Cats do have last season's Big Sky Conference freshman of the year in Darian White and sixth player of the year in Tori Martell).

Take a look at the years out of high school ie. years in college program for each school's players.
number of players in each year category for UM.. 1yr. 5 players, 2yr. 1 player, 3yr. 5 players, 4yr. 3 players, 5yr. 1 player
number of players in each year category for MSU 1yr. 6 players, 2yr. 5 players, 3yr. 3 players, 4yr. 1 player, 5yr. 0 players

Sorry my chart is so poor I don't know how to get it to post like I wanted it but those numbers speak for themselves about the comparative ages of the two teams so I won't even say "you do the math". Comparatively MSU has more younger players and UM has more older players.

He could have had said that it appears the MSU freshmen came into college ball more skilled and prepared and have advanced more quickly than UM freshmen or... said the MSU frosh. and soph. in general have advanced from more court time in games than UM players have had the chance to.
or... said that coach Binford and her staff have done an excellent job of recruiting, developing talent and creating a good team atmosphere.
Anyone of those statements would have been more accurate than the griz reporter whine of oh we're so young bla bla bla.
There is no doubt Bill Speltz is the poster child of a "homer" when it comes to the griz. It had to be very difficult for him to give any semblance of praise to the Cats. I was also laughing at his almost as young statement.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:53 pm

imacat wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:00 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:38 pm
Image[/img]
imacat wrote:

There is no doubt Bill Speltz is the poster child of a "homer" when it comes to the griz. It had to be very difficult for him to give any semblance of praise to the Cats. I was also laughing at his almost as young statement.
Glad I'm not the only one to shake my head at his reporting. I really don't like his writing style not to mention the inaccuracies.

Speltz really did Petrino a disservice heaping the whole lack of confidence and winning culture on his shoulders. Fact is MSU has a more talented, deeper roster and a long tenured coach. That's not Petrinos fault. The Big Sky caught up to UM during Selvigs last years and passed them during Schweyens time at the helm. I'm impressed with what Petrino has done with his team.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:45 pm

As to Lindsey Hein — the article said the Dogies lost six seniors (I think I remember correctly) including two very good All-Conference players. Forsyth is a pretty small school (it was bigger when my dad graduated in ‘39) and Lindsey doesn’t have much experienced help this year.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:48 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:45 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:35 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:

Hein's Forsyth team has a lopsided loss to Colstrip and two losses to Roundup because they are not strong at guard and have a hard time getting her the ball around the basket. I don't think she will dominate at MSU as a freshman. After all, she will be on a team with plenty of young, talented frontcourt players and minutes will be hard to get. I would expect a redshirt year. But I think by her sophomore year she will be getting solid minutes and by her junior/senior year she will be very very good. She is certainly no stiff. I think she will have a great career.
Thanks.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:45 pm
As to Lindsey Hein — the article said the Dogies lost six seniors (I think I remember correctly) including two very good All-Conference players. Forsyth is a pretty small school (it was bigger when my dad graduated in ‘39) and Lindsey doesn’t have much experienced help this year.
My dad was class of '49.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:19 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:25 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:

Worth remembering: this is a zero year. So you could actually have White 3 more years, freshmen 4 more years...

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:38 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:04 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
My dad was class of '49.
Wow. Most people don’t seem to know where Forsyth is. I love it down there. My grandparents homesteaded our place in 1914. I don’t know Lindsey, but I have a couple of friends that do so it’s just been interesting to follow her a little.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:35 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:38 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
My dad was class of '49.
Wow. Most people don’t seem to know where Forsyth is. I love it down there. My grandparents homesteaded our place in 1914. I don’t know Lindsey, but I have a couple of friends that do so it’s just been interesting to follow her a little.
My grandfather opened the Roxy theater and he and my grandmother lived at the corner of 14th and Park for almost 60 years.

catscat

Post by catscat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:21 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
My dad was class of '49.
I thought everyone knew that Forsyth is a suburb of "Quigleyville." Forsyth is well know across the US and in many foreign countries - at least amongst long range buffalo rifle shooters. (They probably don't know much about Forsyth's basketball team though).

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

catscat

Post by catscat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:22 am

catscat wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:21 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
My dad was class of '49.
I thought everyone knew that Forsyth is a suburb of "Quigleyville." Forsyth is well known across the US and in many foreign countries - at least amongst long range buffalo rifle shooters. (They probably don't know much about Forsyth's basketball team though).

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.