Question about in person attendance at basketball games

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: Question about in person attendance at basketball games

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:44 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:34 pm
As one of the few (that I know of) healthcare providers on this forum, I have a different insight into this situation. I'm as hardcore pro-mask, pro-distancing, pro-restrictions as they come. Arguing "freedom" and personal responsibility doesn't really hold any weight with me, I think clearly way too many Americans have demonstrated that they can't be bothered to inconvenience themselves for any significant or insignificant reason.

That said, I would be ALL in favor of this. Above all, I feel that we need to use some damn common sense when it comes to managing the pandemic, and that hasn't really been done from the get-go. It is completely feasible to have 1000 people, or slightly more, at a basketball game where they could easily be spread out and distanced. Require masks, and have a few ushers on hand to make sure people aren't moving around and getting too close. I don't really see why that would be so difficult? If we're going to let the kids play, they deserve to play in front of fans.
I completely agree with this post. If people followed the actual precautions laid out by medical professionals there could be limited attendance at games. Unfortunately there is population of people that will not follow these straightforward mitigation efforts resulting in a simple and effective alleviation of a super spreader event, - no fans.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:53 pm

The link below outlines the new rules for high school athletic events in Idaho. I realize this thread is about college events, but these sort of guidelines should work at any level. Spectators in Idaho are elated the rules have changed. Previous to this attendance was limited to two per athlete.
You may need to copy and paste the link to get it to work.

file:///C:/Users/svick/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/Content.Outlook/60BXJF89/Athletics%20Plan%20for%20Governors%20Orders%20on%20Gatherings%20and%20Spectators_1.21.2021.pdf

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:22 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:44 am
BozoneCat wrote:
As one of the few (that I know of) healthcare providers on this forum, I have a different insight into this situation. I'm as hardcore pro-mask, pro-distancing, pro-restrictions as they come. Arguing "freedom" and personal responsibility doesn't really hold any weight with me, I think clearly way too many Americans have demonstrated that they can't be bothered to inconvenience themselves for any significant or insignificant reason.

That said, I would be ALL in favor of this. Above all, I feel that we need to use some damn common sense when it comes to managing the pandemic, and that hasn't really been done from the get-go. It is completely feasible to have 1000 people, or slightly more, at a basketball game where they could easily be spread out and distanced. Require masks, and have a few ushers on hand to make sure people aren't moving around and getting too close. I don't really see why that would be so difficult? If we're going to let the kids play, they deserve to play in front of fans.
I completely agree with this post. If people followed the actual precautions laid out by medical professionals there could be limited attendance at games. Unfortunately there is population of people that will not follow these straightforward mitigation efforts resulting in a simple and effective alleviation of a super spreader event, - no fans.
Without seeming like I’m just trying to argue, where are the facts to back this up?! These decisions, along with closing businesses and schools were made first. I see people wearing masks everywhere, especially in bars, stores and restaurants. Yet they’re still restricted.

The decision to not have fans at events was made BEFORE they allowed fans at events. It’s not like they allowed fans, no one was wearing masks or abiding by the rules, and THEN they made the call to not allow fans!

Other universities and pro sports team have found a way to compete with fans in attendance. Seems all were wearing masks. If they weren’t, or wouldn’t comply with the rules, I’d assume they could handle that small group of individuals?

I’m sorry but your statement just doesn’t seem to add up. It seems like just another excuse to throw out there to justify why we aren’t allowed to do things.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:22 pm
The Butcher wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:

Without seeming like I’m just trying to argue, where are the facts to back this up?! These decisions, along with closing businesses and schools were made first. I see people wearing masks everywhere, especially in bars, stores and restaurants. Yet they’re still restricted.

The decision to not have fans at events was made BEFORE they allowed fans at events. It’s not like they allowed fans, no one was wearing masks or abiding by the rules, and THEN they made the call to not allow fans!

Other universities and pro sports team have found a way to compete with fans in attendance. Seems all were wearing masks. If they weren’t, or wouldn’t comply with the rules, I’d assume they could handle that small group of individuals?

I’m sorry but your statement just doesn’t seem to add up. It seems like just another excuse to throw out there to justify why we aren’t allowed to do things.
I don’t know what games you’ve been watching? NFL games, seems like most people are keeping their masks on. When I watched college games, pretty much every time they panned to the crowd, there were numerous people with their masks around their chins. Not to mention coaches.

Again, I think it can and should be done. I’m not arguing that. Just stating what I see as impediments to it happening. I’m much more optimistic than you about having full stands by the fall though.

GO CATS GO!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:34 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:10 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:22 pm
The Butcher wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:

I don’t know what games you’ve been watching? NFL games, seems like most people are keeping their masks on. When I watched college games, pretty much every time they panned to the crowd, there were numerous people with their masks around their chins. Not to mention coaches.

Again, I think it can and should be done. I’m not arguing that. Just stating what I see as impediments to it happening. I’m much more optimistic than you about having full stands by the fall though.
Guess we watched different games. I suppose we see what we want to see. I watched college games all season and was never taken back by seeing fans not wearing masks. Possibly here and there but I’d imagine more were wearing them than not. Just another fun Covid fact neither of us could prove one way or another I suppose. Like lots of them......

You’re definitely more optimistic than me in regards to fans. And for the record I’m praying you’re right and I’m wrong. I’ve lost faith in the “science”. But who knows? Things must be getting better because it’s safe now for bars to be open ‘till midnight! \:D/

Not Bozeman of course. Things are still far too dangerous here. Which is why I’m skeptical for fall. But I’m praying you’re right!

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:41 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:34 am
Guess we watched different games. I suppose we see what we want to see. I watched college games all season and was never taken back by seeing fans not wearing masks. Possibly here and there but I’d imagine more were wearing them than not. Just another fun Covid fact neither of us could prove one way or another I suppose. Like lots of them......

You’re definitely more optimistic than me in regards to fans. And for the record I’m praying you’re right and I’m wrong. I’ve lost faith in the “science”. But who knows? Things must be getting better because it’s safe now for bars to be open ‘till midnight! \:D/

Not Bozeman of course. Things are still far too dangerous here. Which is why I’m skeptical for fall. But I’m praying you’re right!
Lol, I suppose there is much to be said about the eye of the beholder. There were certainly many more people wearing masks than not, but to me the people that skirt the rules (and often ruin it for everyone) stick out like a sore thumb.

My current pet peeve is watching coaches pretend to wear masks, then pull it down every time they talk or yell. It’s silly. The coaches are getting tested regularly too, if the players can play, I really don’t see a purpose in having the coaches mask up. It’s one of those “we’re trying to show that we’re doing good” things that doesn’t make any common sense.

Don’t lose faith in science. Lose faith (if it ever existed) in the politicians that somehow turned science into a political issue, but the science itself is good and is working. We have multiple vaccines that are extremely effective, now we just need to get a handle on how to quickly get them into people's arms on an order of about 10x what we’re currently doing. The pieces are already starting to come together to make that happen, but it’s going to take a few weeks to get everything fully in place and undo months of damage before I think we realistically start to see a huge bump in number of vaccines given. My advice to everyone is to have a plan for what you will do when it becomes available to you, if you need to discuss it with your doctor, then do do ahead of time. The fears about side effects are way overblown, my entire office has gone through both doses and no one missed a single day of work.

People being stubborn about not getting vaccinated is the only way we won’t have football with full stadiums this fall. There are very few reasons to not get one. More studies are still being done on unknowns, such as children and people with certain comorbidities. Hopefully as more information is known, people’s fears and concerns will be lessened.

GO CATS GO!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:52 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:41 am
ilovethecats wrote:

Lol, I suppose there is much to be said about the eye of the beholder. There were certainly many more people wearing masks than not, but to me the people that skirt the rules (and often ruin it for everyone) stick out like a sore thumb.

My current pet peeve is watching coaches pretend to wear masks, then pull it down every time they talk or yell. It’s silly. The coaches are getting tested regularly too, if the players can play, I really don’t see a purpose in having the coaches mask up. It’s one of those “we’re trying to show that we’re doing good” things that doesn’t make any common sense.

Don’t lose faith in science. Lose faith (if it ever existed) in the politicians that somehow turned science into a political issue, but the science itself is good and is working. We have multiple vaccines that are extremely effective, now we just need to get a handle on how to quickly get them into people's arms on an order of about 10x what we’re currently doing. The pieces are already starting to come together to make that happen, but it’s going to take a few weeks to get everything fully in place and undo months of damage before I think we realistically start to see a huge bump in number of vaccines given. My advice to everyone is to have a plan for what you will do when it becomes available to you, if you need to discuss it with your doctor, then do do ahead of time. The fears about side effects are way overblown, my entire office has gone through both doses and no one missed a single day of work.

People being stubborn about not getting vaccinated is the only way we won’t have football with full stadiums this fall. There are very few reasons to not get one. More studies are still being done on unknowns, such as children and people with certain comorbidities. Hopefully as more information is known, people’s fears and concerns will be lessened.
Great post.

I should have been more clear on my science comment. You’re absolutely right in regards to trusting science. I do. It’s the decisions regarding the science, and unwillingness to amend decisions as we go on that has been terribly frustrating.

I see what you mean about coaches and masks but I totally see their side too! When I’m wearing my mask in public communication is terrible. I can’t hear what people are saying to me. I have to ask “what?” constantly! Usually out of frustration me or the person I’m talking to pull it down quick to speak so the other person can understand what I’m saying! Now imagine a job like coaching where communication is 95% of the job and you’re yelling out instructions to five guys at a time!

I’m actually on the other end of this than you. I think it’s as dumb as making people wear masks in a restaurant, but just until they get to a table. They players don’t wear masks when they’re playing, in close contact with others, having physical contact with others, breathing and sweating all over each other! But god forbid when they’re on the bench they pull it down to talk to a coach or teammate. Or a coach pulls it down to communicate with a player.

In my eyes this is a perfect example of a mandate giving the perception of caution, but is mainly just fear of NOT doing it and how others will react. Until I see science saying how much more dangerous it is on the bench 6 feet apart than it is on the court zero feet apart, I think the mask rules are silly.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:00 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:52 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:41 am
ilovethecats wrote:

Great post.

I should have been more clear on my science comment. You’re absolutely right in regards to trusting science. I do. It’s the decisions regarding the science, and unwillingness to amend decisions as we go on that has been terribly frustrating.

I see what you mean about coaches and masks but I totally see their side too! When I’m wearing my mask in public communication is terrible. I can’t hear what people are saying to me. I have to ask “what?” constantly! Usually out of frustration me or the person I’m talking to pull it down quick to speak so the other person can understand what I’m saying! Now imagine a job like coaching where communication is 95% of the job and you’re yelling out instructions to five guys at a time!

I’m actually on the other end of this than you. I think it’s as dumb as making people wear masks in a restaurant, but just until they get to a table. They players don’t wear masks when they’re playing, in close contact with others, having physical contact with others, breathing and sweating all over each other! But god forbid when they’re on the bench they pull it down to talk to a coach or teammate. Or a coach pulls it down to communicate with a player.

In my eyes this is a perfect example of a mandate giving the perception of caution, but is mainly just fear of NOT doing it and how others will react. Until I see science saying how much more dangerous it is on the bench 6 feet apart than it is on the court zero feet apart, I think the mask rules are silly.
Thanks. It’s nice to have good debate with no vitriol.

I think you misunderstood my comments re: coaches. I think it’s silly that they are wearing masks (i.e., I think we agree). They’re all getting tested regularly, and if we’re being honest, probably have a fair amount of contact outside of games and the public eye where they’re not wearing masks, so why bother?

I completely understand how difficult it is to communicate. Particularly when I work with older people, it’s amazing how much light lip reading people do without realizing it, when you can’t do that and you have done hearing loss, communication is much more difficult. There’s times when I practically have to yell to be understood with a few of my oldies. We just try to keep a good sense of humor and laugh about it.

I think that’s my take on why I want to see everyone wearing masks and keeping distance and getting vaccinated. The sooner we all do those things and we beat this thing, the sooner we can get back to normal. I’d rather do that for a few more months and then be done with it, vs. continuing what we’ve been doing and still be dealing with this stuff later this year.

GO CATS GO!!!