Three (3) Topics to Debate?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Three (3) Topics to Debate?

Post by DawsonPirate » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:37 pm

1. Shaun Dirden __ Noticed he is no longer on the Bobcat Basketball Website (or) the MSU Athletic Staff Directory and forwarded to me Hoop Dirt announced he went and moved on to private business sector one week ago.... Budget cuts (or) tired of low pay?

2. Another interesting category and this will hurt recruiting throughout the Big Sky and MSU is right amongst the top in this category, 40%+ as a conference transfer ratio the last three years. Programs giving up on players (or) is it players unhappy in remote areas and lack of playing time the culprit? Not fictional as it was written about on ESPN Plus and website Verbal Transfer Portal.

3. What is the over/under for 2020-21 Bobcats above (or) below 5th place in the Big Sky?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Three (3) Topics to Debate?

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 am

DawsonPirate wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:37 pm
1. Shaun Dirden __ Noticed he is no longer on the Bobcat Basketball Website (or) the MSU Athletic Staff Directory and forwarded to me Hoop Dirt announced he went and moved on to private business sector one week ago.... Budget cuts (or) tired of low pay?

2. Another interesting category and this will hurt recruiting throughout the Big Sky and MSU is right amongst the top in this category, 40%+ as a conference transfer ratio the last three years. Programs giving up on players (or) is it players unhappy in remote areas and lack of playing time the culprit? Not fictional as it was written about on ESPN Plus and website Verbal Transfer Portal.

3. What is the over/under for 2020-21 Bobcats above (or) below 5th place in the Big Sky?
What A shock! I will bite.

#1. No way it is budget cuts, if the AD/MSU forced Sprinkle to go drop down to 2 assistants, would be a very bad sign for the program. Dirden and his family, for the past 16ish years have been toiling in the Low-D1 assistant coaching ranks (MSU D-1 assist coach, Colorado HS Head coach, SDU D-1 assistant coach, MSU Assistant Coach, SDS D-1 Assistant coach, head coach NAIA school, & finally MSU D-1 assistant coach) where the pay is not so good. It would not surprise me at all if someone stepped forward with a promise of a good paying job he did not at least consider it.

#2 Players especially JC players did not enjoy playing for Fish. He was a very demanding coach who played a very controlled offence and defense and it was very difficult (especially big men) to pick up the system. It usually took a year or so and by that time they were burnt out on the program. The other major hit we took was the changing of coaching. Danny and Brian are about 180 degrees opposite of how they want their teams to play. many of Fish's players did not fit in to Danny style. Many of the players who transferred out this year did so on good terms, none were forced out, but Sprinkle was honest with them about playing time and the incoming class of recruits. Most transferred to a new program where they could be major players for them. That said, starting this year we need to see transfers dwindle down to the national average, of 1 or 2 a year.

#3 OVER!!!! If we finish 5th or less this season I will be extremely disappointed. I do not think we will be consistent enough to take the league but I think we will have a team that could take down any team in the league on any given night, To back that up, I think we will have the #1 or 2 big man in the league and a top #1 or #2 point guard (despite losing Frey) and we will be incredibly deep and versatile.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:41 pm

1. I do find it curious that there has been no official announcement.

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Question #1 ___ Dirden is posting on Linkedin, he moving to sell Synergy Sports Software in the Houston, Texas market. He is doing what former MSUB assistant Bobby Howard is doing selling software, for breaking down game tapes and strategies. This company has Brian Preibe, former assistant to Brad Huse as it's VP of sales.

Question #2 ___ The beginning of October the preseason magazines will be out. Again the finishing in the Top 5 with this roster truly depends on the center play and the transfer PG from UMKC... The WAC is a poor D1 conference and Big Sky will be tougher..... UMKC PG truly is the key for above .500 season.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:51 pm