Covid-19

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Do you think MSU MBB or WBB will play anyy official games in the Brick this year

Yes, full schedule
5%
Yes, but a reduced schedule
68%
Yes but only conference games (with out Sac State)
11%
No
16%

Total votes: 37

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Covid-19

Post by mslacat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:33 am

I am really beginning, to think, especially with a total lack of leadership in the White House, that covid-19 is not even close to being contained and will not be for many, many, MANY months yet. I am interested in knowing how the rest of Bobcatnation feel. You can at any time change your vote, Poll below. Reply below

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: Covid-19

Post by gtapp » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:10 am

mslacat wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:33 am
I am really beginning, to think, especially with a total lack of leadership in the White House, that covid-19 is not even close to being contained and will not be for many, many, MANY months yet. I am interested in knowing how the rest of Bobcatnation feel. You can at any time change your vote, Poll below. Reply below
Personally, I would not have closed down a single thing or changed anything about the way we go about our lives. We know the death rate now and unless it gets much worse I think the cure is worse than the disease. And if you like to blame the white house for all your problems then you have bigger issues.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:12 am

If you want the covid fully controlled then just ban anyone to go outside their homes. Then we will have zero season.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:27 pm

mslacat wrote:
My best guess would be a few non-conference games against local Frontier Conference opponents, then a mostly or fully complete conference schedule after the new year. I'll be very surprised if teams are flying all over the country in November and December to play a normal non-conference schedule.

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:03 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:27 pm
mslacat wrote:
My best guess would be a few non-conference games against local Frontier Conference opponents, then a mostly or fully complete conference schedule after the new year. I'll be very surprised if teams are flying all over the country in November and December to play a normal non-conference schedule.
I think you're spot on - except more optimistic than me about a full conference schedule. I can't see how teams will be willing to fly for games in the olympic sports as almost all are commercial. If the NBA isn't willing to host games around the country, I can't see colleges getting very far out of their state or region. Baseball should provide a somewhat better idea of what distance will have an effect on outcomes. Hopefully vaccine trials will go very well and sports can be a go next Spring.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:36 am

oedipuss wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:03 am
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:27 pm
mslacat wrote:
I think you're spot on - except more optimistic than me about a full conference schedule. I can't see how teams will be willing to fly for games in the olympic sports as almost all are commercial. If the NBA isn't willing to host games around the country, I can't see colleges getting very far out of their state or region. Baseball should provide a somewhat better idea of what distance will have an effect on outcomes. Hopefully vaccine trials will go very well and sports can be a go next Spring.
Yes, I was basing my prediction on the admittedly optimistic view that by 2021 we will have made substantial progress on vaccine trials and/or effective treatments for COVID-19, making the kind of travel required for college sports teams less risky than it is today. Unless there's some kind of huge turnaround in the next month, I can't see college sports being played normally this fall, especially given the inability to create "bubble" environments like the pro sports leagues are trying to do.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:39 am

@mslacat Since you are here — let me ask a question. Bobcat Women’s Basketball tweeted a picture of their six incoming freshman the other day. After rereading some of their bios etc. it seems to me that those six would make a pretty good team on their own. What do you think about that group? How do they compare to Binford’s other good signing classes?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:03 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:39 am
@mslacat Since you are here — let me ask a question. Bobcat Women’s Basketball tweeted a picture of their six incoming freshman the other day. After rereading some of their bios etc. it seems to me that those six would make a pretty good team on their own. What do you think about that group? How do they compare to Binford’s other good signing classes?
I think this is a dynamic class, and it maybe the best class in Binfords tenure at Montana State. I have heard before that Binford has an unwritten rule about signing no more than 5 freshman in a single class. It is just difficult to get that many young players up to speed in a single preseason. Her plan for 2020 was to sign up to 5 freshman max (with her 6 available scholarships) and then sign a transfer who would sit out or hold that scholarship over to the 2021 class where it appears we will only have a single scholarship to offer (Tori Martells). Binford, though, started getting commitments for this class back in 2018. She was getting commitments from her top ranked recruits and when she hit 5 she could not turn down her 6 th commit (I believe that was Beattie) she was just too good.

Nationally 6-3 Limardo is considered the gem of this class, she started at shooting guard, would play point when team tried to trap her Silver HS team. She would also swing to small and Power forward some. Despite being 6-2 to 6-3 she played very little if at all at center. She scored in the 24-26 point range 12 rebounds a game (I am too lazy today to look it up) but with her long arms she had a knack for shot blocking and getting steals. Last spring a local New Mexico wrote something about her "finishing up her high school career and her next step was Montana State" I tweeted back something like we are tickled to death to have her next year and if she continues to work hard over the off season she has a chance to make an impact early" I got an direct email from the reported and he said he has watched her for 4 years and she is going to make a huge impact day 1. MSU is fortunate to get her early commit bla bla bla she should be playing for a bigger school bla bla bla. At Montana State level of basketball she will start as a freshman at small forward bla bla bla. Limardo was Binford's first commit I believe for her 2020 recruiting class, and I had heard she and her parents took multiple unofficial visits to MSU on their own dime also with the Official paid visit. I have two questions about her and her game that need to be answered. is she quick enough to play the 2 or most likely the 3 spot in Binford's full court schemes. The biggest question I have though is she is rail thin and can she get through an entire season with out getting too beat up. Once she gets some muscle on her look out.

Guards Beattie and Ranson are right behind Limardo and it would not surprise me if one of those women might end up being the star of the 2020 class. Beattie (who's mother and Aunt played for the Griz) is in the mold of Darian White in that she can score points in bunches. If you leave her open on the perimeter she will hit from deep 3. If you guard her tight on the perimeter she will drive and dish or take the ball to the rim and get fouled. She averaged I believe about 24 points a game, and that was actually down from last year. She has scored 40 or more points in countless games. She has been 3 time conference player of the year and three time division state champion. I don't think she has quite the ball/point guard skills as White, but when the two of them are court together it is going to be fun to watch.

Ranson is more in the mold of fellow Idaho Bobcat Madison Jackson. While Ranson's 6-3 teammate Emma Ellington was getting Pac-12 attention before signing with Santa Clara last fall, Ranson was named state MVP and Gatorade MVP. She average about 18 points a game, but she is the type of player that can dominate the court even when she is not scoring. She is a stat stuffer, always gets her share of points, rebounds assists and steal plus is a very good defender. She had a rivalry top teams playing kind a game last year where she only scored 2 points but the media voted her player of the game. Ranson, White and Jackson all played in the Boise area. I asked a sports reporter who has seen all three Bobcat through-out their high school. I asked him to rank them as prospect He ranked White about a 1/2 step above Ranson and Ranson just ahead of Madison. His on caveat was that Ranson is a winner. She does what ever it takes to win and when needs to puts the team on her back and wins.

I also know a basketball person who know 5 or the 6 recruits very well, and know Binford also very well, in their opinion the two players who they feel has the opportunity and skill to make an impart right away was 6-3 Janssen and 6-1 Deden. Both are true bigs. with the loss of all three front line players plus Braxton the Bobcats are going to need bigs to step up. Deden is a hustle no-nonsense player can and will play physical down low and the Bobcats lost a lot of that to graduation. She is ready to play now. Janssen they feel is going to be a much better college player than high school. At 6-3 she is used to scoring the ball both backing and facing the basket. She will post up on set plays, hit deep three point shots or score on transition off the break and she has enough muscle on her to not to be pushed around inside. Despite being 6-3 expect her to play the stretch forward spot when Skye Lindsey or 2021 commit Lindsey Hein play along side her.

Sydne Stengaard is a coaches daughter and Like Deden very well coached. According to her father though her greatest strength is her shooting. She has deep range hit 61 3 pointers last year while shooting 43% from three point range. She is not just a three point shooter she has a nice mid range game and knack for feeding open bigs when defense come out to guard her.

There you go more info than you wanted to know, but with Hein Joining next year the Bobcat Women talent should be unbelievable.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Thanks mslacat. Sounds extremely promising...

msubobcats@outlook.com

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Women’s Basketball Freshmen Six by mslacat!

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:49 am

🏀 🏀 🏀 🏀 🏀 🏀
(I awarded your write-up six basketballs out of five since there are six new freshmen)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I really hated to hijack this thread for basketball talk. This write-up is so good that it should have had it’s own thread. Don’t worry, it’s not more than I wanted to know! I can’t ever get too much of the Bobcat Women’s team. That’s an amazing group, and once again they are high academic achievers. I hope they can get to play, as they all really sound like they want to be Bobcats. For the early commits, it must have been very exciting and validating to watch the ‘Cats go 19-1 in conference play last year. Thank you again for this!!

I’m afraid your excellent information has gotten buried down here, and that’s my fault. Mods, or mslacat, if this write-up could be a new thread, I think it would be a positive thing, and we all could use that.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Women’s Basketball Freshmen Six by mslacat!

Post by RickRund » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:49 am
🏀 🏀 🏀 🏀 🏀 🏀
(I awarded your write-up six basketballs out of five since there are six new freshmen)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I really hated to hijack this thread for basketball talk. This write-up is so good that it should have had it’s own thread. Don’t worry, it’s not more than I wanted to know! I can’t ever get too much of the Bobcat Women’s team. That’s an amazing group, and once again they are high academic achievers. I hope they can get to play, as they all really sound like they want to be Bobcats. For the early commits, it must have been very exciting and validating to watch the ‘Cats go 19-1 in conference play last year. Thank you again for this!!

I’m afraid your excellent information has gotten buried down here, and that’s my fault. Mods, or mslacat, if this write-up could be a new thread, I think it would be a positive thing, and we all could use that.
AMEN to your post... Great stuff

msubobcats@outlook.com

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:06 am

Looking forward to the season starting and having a better understanding of our new normal. I still have a bitter taste with how last season ended. It was starting to look like our girls were going to have a magical ending!

This season looks promising and I’m excited to see the team back on the floor! College Basketball is important, but not as important as keeping players, coaches and fans healthy. Binford and her staff have the difficult task of getting these players ready for Big Sky competition and figuring out how to travel and play during COVID. Lots of unknowns........