Geoff Golden hired WBB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Geoff Golden hired WBB

Post by Hawks86 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:08 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Geoff Golden hired WBB

Post by MSU01 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 am

Based on the two new assistant hires, get ready for a very heavy recruiting presence in the Denver area moving forward. Looks like he's the head coach for a major AAU program there and coached current Bobcat Ashley Van Sickle as well as a couple other former Bobcats (Laura Pranger and Annika Lai).

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri May 29, 2020 12:21 pm

This is an interesting hire. Welcome Coach Golden.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sat May 30, 2020 1:12 am

imacat wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:21 pm
What the hell does this mean? "interesting hire"
That's about as descriptive as -- bland.
Read his resume; he has a strong player developmental reputation, international coaching experience; and a top college recruiting expert.
This isn't an interesting hire; this is a fantastic hire.
Great job Coach Bin, way to go to continue a program and the legacy!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sat May 30, 2020 11:04 am

CatRowdy wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:12 am
imacat wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:21 pm
What the hell does this mean? "interesting hire"
That's about as descriptive as -- bland.
Read his resume; he has a strong player developmental reputation, international coaching experience; and a top college recruiting expert.
This isn't an interesting hire; this is a fantastic hire.
Great job Coach Bin, way to go to continue a program and the legacy!
I did not mean to imply anything negative about hiring Coach Golden. His resume is certainly not typical .... it stands out. I am excited about what he will bring to the program. I really like the recruiting potential.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun May 31, 2020 3:23 pm

I’m excited to see what he brings to the program. I like the emphasis on development! Although I’m excited for the season to start we have a lot of issues to address! Welcome to Bozeman!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:30 am

I am going to comment on both Braxton and Golden. My first reaction was neither have ANY College coaching experience. My second one was this could be recruiting boon. I really like to have former players as assistants. Players who had the reputation of being hard workers and team players. When Binford hired Mobley, after a series of what I considered hiring flops. I thought it was brilliant hire and I was tickled with the out come. I think Braxton is that type of hire. Braxton does not have nearly the experience Mobley had when Binford hired her, as Braxton joining the team strait out of college. Mobley got quite a bit of coaching experience at the high school level. Dispute this I feel real good about the hire. I do not mind at all hiring a completely green assistant as long as you have plenty of experience behind you and a Strong recruiting program/ base in which you are allowed to learn. With Binford and Smallwood, I definitely feel Braxton has that. I say this with probably some admitted bias towards Braxton, but I think 3-4 years down the road we will look on this as a inspired hire. Braxton's first big challenge, though, will be the mental switch that she is now a coach and not a player. That can be tough joining a team as a coach that 4 months earlier you were a player.

Golden will be a boon for recruiting, if he understands the type of players Binford needs. It was mentioned before about his outstanding standing in Colorado girls basketball, but he also has strong ties to European and Australian players. He has been a guy, in the US, who foreign coaches have contacted to get their players in Colleges in the USA. When Petrino got handed the Lady Griz team with about only 5 returners and 5 incoming freshmen, one of the first people he contacted was Golden. Golden hooked him up with a 6-0 SG from a JC player from Iowa Western JC by way of Gold Coast in Australia and her former teammate also from Gold Coast Australasia a 6-2 center transfer from Iowa State. I truly believe if Petrino had to staff all three assistant coach positions he would have tried to hire Golden. All things said I think Golden will be a big positive to our recruiting. On the X's and O's fingers are crossed he will be helping with the offence so he will dealing directly with Binford, so that is reassuring.

As a whole Binford and her 2015-2020 assistants have put this program in fantastic shape when it comes to current personnel as well as our recruiting. While most D-1 teams are focused right now on recruiting the 21 Class, the previous coaching staff already has a couple top notch committed recruits for 21 AND 22, MSU WBB is right now heavily recruiting the the 22 and 23 class and I think it will pay big dividend.