Schweyen out at Montana

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Schweyen out at Montana

Post by CatRowdy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:31 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am

Agree with everything, with the exception of your opinion re: Redpath. She's an idiot.
=D^

And she's not getting any better with experience! Same year after year.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 am

CatRowdy wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:31 am
BozoneCat wrote:

Agree with everything, with the exception of your opinion re: Redpath. She's an idiot.
=D^

No doubt she’s a Griz, but I don’t have a problem with her commentary. She did make a dig about the number of Montana kids on our roster, but it’s a true statement. If anything, I think she’s very positive about our program and gave a ton of kudos to our players. I don’t care if she likes us as long as she gives us the respect the program deserves!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:12 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:02 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:42 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:16 am
rivercat wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:04 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 pm
You guys are waaaaaay off. But carry on I guess.
Great, the old "I got a secret" post. Carry on I guess.
The waaaaay off part is the nice way of saying you’re not spending your time wisely, which in turn is the nice way saying you don’t know what you’re talking about.

The but carry on part is the nice way of saying, keep wasting your time because it’s entertaining.
Why don't you enlighten us then? Is it really a big secret now that Shannon is out?
And ruin all our fun?
I heard a bunch of players went in after Schweyen was offered an extension and told Haslem they're gone if she stays. He pulled the offer almost immediately. Also heard that none of the girls she offered were offered by any other D1 schools.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 am
CatRowdy wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:31 am
BozoneCat wrote:

=D^

No doubt she’s a Griz, but I don’t have a problem with her commentary. She did make a dig about the number of Montana kids on our roster, but it’s a true statement. If anything, I think she’s very positive about our program and gave a ton of kudos to our players. I don’t care if she likes us as long as she gives us the respect the program deserves!
Respectfully, I disagree. If she was employed by UM and commentating on the Cats from that perspective, I wouldn't have a problem with that (although it wouldn't make me like her commentary any more). It is a true statement that MSU didn't have a huge number of Montana natives on the roster, but it is disrespectful to make that statement in what is supposed to be a derogatory way. She's not saying this as if it is an interesting tidbit, she's saying it to make a dig. I think that is showing the Bobcat women's program huge disrespect, and they damn well have earned their respect.

GO CATS GO!!!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Jamie Pickens is also transferring.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... e6461.html
Last edited by imacat on Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:36 pm

Straight up dumpster fire 🔥! It’s going to take some time to get the program back to normal! Whatever that might be!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Egriz folks seem to think she's headed to Carroll. That's a huge steal for the Saints.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:57 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm
Egriz folks seem to think she's headed to Carroll. That's a huge steal for the Saints.
Holy S---! She's one of the best prospects in Montana in awhile. Must be homesick to not consider another D1 option?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

imacat

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:06 pm

wbtfg wrote:
That is also what the article indicates. She is expected to sign with Carroll, where she will not need to sit a year.

imacat

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:46 pm

I found this article about Jamie from earlier in the season. It indicates things were going well for her.

https://www.montanasports.com/helena-le ... man-season

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:38 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:57 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Holy S---! She's one of the best prospects in Montana in awhile. Must be homesick to not consider another D1 option?
Maybe she wants to reunite with her old HS teammate Kamden Hilborn, isn't that where she transferred to from MSU?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Wondering also if maybe there may be a bit of academics that fit into the equation. Have no idea, just guessing.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:25 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:38 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:57 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Maybe she wants to reunite with her old HS teammate Kamden Hilborn, isn't that where she transferred to from MSU?
Yes, Hilborn is at CC.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Based on the 406 Sports article, there isn't much to speculate. Pickens left because Shannon wasn't renewed, others left or were leaving because of Shannon. Straight up dumpster fire that will take years to fix.

“I wanted to be a Lady Griz my whole life,” Pickens said. “I had a lot of goals, but after Shannon Schweyen (was not going to return) and girls leaving or wanting to leave, I didn’t think I could be able to obtain those goals. Changes were being made, and at the end of the day, I realized I need to make a change, too. I wanted to go on a new adventure.”

“I felt it all,” Pickens said about her emotions. “I was sad. I was mad. Shannon poured 32 years of heart and soul into that program, and it was hard to see that happen. I have been a close friend with her and her family my entire life. When I pictured Lady Griz basketball, I pictured playing with her as my coach. I didn’t expect it, and it hurt. I didn’t know if I could go back.”

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:06 pm

Is it just me, or does this situation remind anyone of what happened with Robin Potera at MSU about 15 years ago? Potera won a lot more games than Schweyen but some of the issues with player dissatisfaction and departures seem very similar. Binford was a phenomenal hire to rebuild the program and thank goodness MSU gave her time to build the program into what it is today. For their sake, UM had better hit a similar home run with their hire or they could be looking at years of struggles ahead as other Big Sky programs like NAU continue to improve and Binford brings in stellar recruiting classes one after the other.

bpcats20

Post by bpcats20 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:26 am

The only hire that would scare me as a Bobcat fan is bringing Lori Payne in from NAU. She did a great job of turning NAU around and seems to be a very good recruiter.

I love the job that Coach Binford and her staff have done.

autocat

Post by autocat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:19 pm

"You don't want to have to replace a legend" someone famous once said.

It doesn't help when a movie or documentary is made about the legendary coach and they show it in the local theatre

If the NAU coach is so great, then she's not going to last too long in missoula either

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:35 pm

There are coaches available that could have a favorable impact on that program. They're going to need to clean house to make that happen. The drama between friends of SHANNON and not friends of SHANNON has gone on long enough. They need players focused on being Griz basketball players. The NAU coach seems very strong and is from Montana, she might be a great choice to build a program.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:56 pm

bpcats20 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:26 am
The only hire that would scare me as a Bobcat fan is bringing Lori Payne in from NAU. She did a great job of turning NAU around and seems to be a very good recruiter.

I love the job that Coach Binford and her staff have done.
I agree about Loree Payne. She's a winner. Her teams compete hard and have fun playing for her. NAU has been historically bad and has little support. In 3 years she has NAU in the top third of the BSC and trending up.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:18 pm