Thank You Montana State WBB!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Thank You Montana State WBB!

Post by Bocephus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:24 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:29 am
It’s not altogether unlikely that the seniors will get another year of eligibility. No way to make up for what’s been lost, but I think that’d be a very nice consolation.
That would be a very nice gesture from the NCAA! I imagine most would pass on it because why stay in school another full year if you're done. But still, it's a great idea!
Unfortunately they would have to award every player an additional year of eligibility. If you are a junior and the seniors all get another year and you don’t, that’s a lost opportunity to be a senior leader with the bulk playing time. I know these girls aren’t selfish, but granting eligibility to some and not others has too much trickle down effect.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:28 am

91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
It’s not altogether unlikely that the seniors will get another year of eligibility. No way to make up for what’s been lost, but I think that’d be a very nice consolation.
That would be a very nice gesture from the NCAA! I imagine most would pass on it because why stay in school another full year if you're done. But still, it's a great idea!
One problem with this, we (and everyone else) have a boatload of new recruits coming in to join the team. Roster size issues, scholarship cost issues, etc.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:28 am
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
One problem with this, we (and everyone else) have a boatload of new recruits coming in to join the team. Roster size issues, scholarship cost issues, etc.
I don’t see the logic of why I would award another year of eligibility??!! I don’t get it. Basketball, unlike football, you lose your year of eligibility playing in one game....unless there is an extenuating circumstance like season ending injury. These ladies played over 30 games. And our ladies in particular were awarded the auto berth to the NCAA. Tough situation not getting to participate in a lifetime dream by playing in the NCAA.....but I couldn’t support extending eligibility if I was on the body making the decision.

Several of our seniors already have plans. Madeline Smith graduated in 4 years in Mechanical Engineering and already has job offers. Fallyn and Oli are already looking at pursuing pro-careers....would you put that on hold? Time to move on in life.

Just me I guess..... Life happens and it isn’t always fair.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:19 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:28 am
91catAlum wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I don’t see the logic of why I would award another year of eligibility??!! I don’t get it. Basketball, unlike football, you lose your year of eligibility playing in one game....unless there is an extenuating circumstance like season ending injury. These ladies played over 30 games. And our ladies in particular were awarded the auto berth to the NCAA. Tough situation not getting to participate in a lifetime dream by playing in the NCAA.....but I couldn’t support extending eligibility if I was on the body making the decision.

Several of our seniors already have plans. Madeline Smith graduated in 4 years in Mechanical Engineering and already has job offers. Fallyn and Oli are already looking at pursuing pro-careers....would you put that on hold? Time to move on in life.

Just me I guess..... Life happens and it isn’t always fair.
It’s almost like Coach Binford sensed something like this, or maybe she’s just smart. She repeatedly talked about how she was telling her team to enjoy the journey, to get the absolute most out of every day. Wise words, for all of us.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:24 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:31 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:21 pm
I am still hoping for "April Madness" or "May Madness" but I guess that is wishful thinking
Wow, guess everything is cancelled through the spring.

Well as far as I'm concerned, the women ended up at the top of the mountain.
when things calm down eventually, we need to hold a celebration for them
A lot of talk on the football board about retiring #15 for Troy Andersen. With smaller rosters and many more numbers available in basketball, I wonder if it wouldn't be appropriate to hang numbers 15, 24, 33, 35, and 44 in the rafters to honor the historic team that never got the chance to see just how far they could go.
There are actually far fewer numbers available in basketball. Only 36 total. Any number above 5 cannot be used on a college basketball jersey.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:24 am
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:31 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:21 pm
I am still hoping for "April Madness" or "May Madness" but I guess that is wishful thinking
Wow, guess everything is cancelled through the spring.

Well as far as I'm concerned, the women ended up at the top of the mountain.
when things calm down eventually, we need to hold a celebration for them
A lot of talk on the football board about retiring #15 for Troy Andersen. With smaller rosters and many more numbers available in basketball, I wonder if it wouldn't be appropriate to hang numbers 15, 24, 33, 35, and 44 in the rafters to honor the historic team that never got the chance to see just how far they could go.
There are actually far fewer numbers available in basketball. Only 36 total. Any number above 5 cannot be used on a college basketball jersey.
True, but football roster sizes are large enough that virtually every available number is used by at least one player each season. Basketball has much smaller roster sizes, and less than half of the available numbers are taken at any one time. My suggestion to retire their numbers is probably a bit over the top on further reflection, but I hope they can find some way to honor this team that goes beyond just putting another year on the banners in the Fieldhouse.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:49 am

It’s over! No matter how we celebrate this team it’s going to seem incomplete. We will never know if they would’ve beaten Idaho. We’ll never know if they would win a first round game. One of the special things about Basketball is you have wins and losses, not seasons not completed. But these are strange times and we’ll never know what this team could’ve achieved.
I’m sure Binford is working on next season and I hope the NCAA doesn’t try giving additional years of eligibility because it’s brings the asterisk into play with all conference, team and individual records. Yes, we should always remember this special team, but it’s time to turn the page. Can’t wait for next season!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:11 am

A lot of the numbers the players wear is their high school number. Maybe Madison wants to wear 20. I agree with hanging the jersey but not retiring the number. It's too late to start that now. There have been too many great players in the past that would be slighted.

2024 Resume dominance

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:18 am

Bethany answered Scott Van Pelt's call on twitter to celebrate those Senior's and teams that had amazing season's end all too abruptly. The Women's team was one of the ones that got a highlight from SVP.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ter-thread

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:33 am

I don’t recall this being posted on BN yet. It is awesome. I am guessing that it was played at Senior night and quite frankly, it gave me goosebumps. Great job MSU! Proud to be a Bobcat!!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:33 am
I don’t recall this being posted on BN yet. It is awesome. I am guessing that it was played at Senior night and quite frankly, it gave me goosebumps. Great job MSU! Proud to be a Bobcat!!

Brings a bit of moisture to the eyes...it is a bit windy here though so maybe that’s it. Turn up the volume and listen to the nice comments by the parents and Coach.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:25 pm

What a wonderful tribute video. What is it about this team that just draws you in?

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:47 am

If things don't calm down this spring then we will just have to figure out a way to get these seniors back on campus at some point next season and honor them by raising the banner and having a full celebration. What joy they brought us all this season. Not only by their play but by their character as outstanding student athletes. Thank you players and coaches!!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:42 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:49 am
It’s over! No matter how we celebrate this team it’s going to seem incomplete. We will never know if they would’ve beaten Idaho. We’ll never know if they would win a first round game. One of the special things about Basketball is you have wins and losses, not seasons not completed. But these are strange times and we’ll never know what this team could’ve achieved.
I’m sure Binford is working on next season and I hope the NCAA doesn’t try giving additional years of eligibility because it’s brings the asterisk into play with all conference, team and individual records. Yes, we should always remember this special team, but it’s time to turn the page. Can’t wait for next season!
I am absolutely sure we would have beaten Idaho and I'll fight anybody who disagrees! :wink:
It probably would have been tight and a little scary, but this team was really good at keeping their opponent at arm's length.
I think this program is poised for a long run of success-as long as everybody stays healthy and coach sticks around.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:21 pm

I wonder, is there a chance that Blaire or Fallyn goes to grad school and sticks around as a grad-assistant coach? Would love to have some of the “DNA” in live form to pass down the 2020-2021 team.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:59 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:21 pm
I wonder, is there a chance that Blaire or Fallyn goes to grad school and sticks around as a grad-assistant coach? Would love to have some of the “DNA” in live form to pass down the 2020-2021 team.
Coach said that Fallyn, Oli, and Madeline were all invited to a pro try-out event (I’m not sure the right name for the event). There they could compete and maybe get an agent. Madeline was torn because she already has a couple job offers in Mechanical Engineering and she was leaning towards taking one of those jobs. Fallyn and Oli both wanted to go on to play pro ball...most likely overseas for awhile. But Fallyn is in pre-dental so not sure how long she can set aside dental school.

Blair seemed most undecided the last I spoke with her. She is in Business and really likes the Bozeman area. She said she would like to stay here if possible but there was a lot of uncertainty as to what she will do. Not sure where Martha is headed.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:55 pm

A Blake DuDonis podcast with Coach Binford on Friday. Great discussion on her career, her transition to coaching, tidbits from her coaching journey. And a great way to fill some time to get a “sports fix”.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1358128843

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:58 pm

I think we all know that Blaire will be successful at whatever she decides to do. I’d like to see her stay in the area, but understand that Bozeman might not offer the opportunities that exist in larger metro areas. I was able to talk to her Dad after Cat/Griz game. I know he wants her to come back to Denver, but made it clear that Blaire is independent and doesn’t always follow his wishes. She’d be a welcome addition to our community!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:46 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:53 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:46 am
Very well done. I loved watching this team. Hall of fame team!