MBB vs UNC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

MBB vs UNC

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:51 pm

Senior night for Frey and Ricketts. Seeding is set for MSU so the game is sort of meaningless. Will Sprinkle use his bench more tonight?
Game is huge for UNC who are still alive for a share of the title with a win. A loss could drop them to 3rd.
Last time out Jonah Radebaugh shut Frey down, but Adamu had a career high to make it look somewhat respectable. With Adamu presumably out, I'm not sure where our points will come from. Our chances improve if Belo stays out of foul trouble.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MBB vs UNC

Post by WalkOn79 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:09 pm

Can’t wait!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:51 pm

Tough loss. Cats played well and it’s nice to see us have some guys who can work it down low. But UNCU was lights out from behind the arc and trading 3s for 2s won’t win games.

We can take Portland State if we can keep them off the offensive boards.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:29 pm

I was just thinking that it's pretty crazy for MSU to have finished 5th despite going 0-8 against the 4 teams who finished above them. Going 10-2 against the rest of the league, to me at least, shows just how good of a job Sprinkle and his staff have done against a group of teams who I don't see MSU as being definitively more talented than with the possible exception of the Idaho schools.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:53 pm

Northern Colorado was locked in. They needed this to have a chance at the title or at least get the two seed. The way they were shooting it was a miracle we were only down 3 at halftime. They just kept it going in the 2nd half. When we finally did get some stops we were so worn out we couldn't operate on offense.

Radebaugh has been there forever. He used to be more of a novelty act with his retro hair-do than a really scary player. I remember Tyler Hall lighting him up a couple of times. But he has transformed himself into a complete stud on offense as well as defense. I was surprised he passed up so many shots the way he was hitting. He also almost single-handedly shutdown our perimeter on defense. UNC bombed out of the tournament last year on their first try. They are very perimeter oriented so it will be interesting to see how it goes for them this year.

It's a little late, but I think Sprinkle figured out that we are bigger than most Big Sky teams and we can impose our will on people inside if we want to. It was more out of necessity these last few games without Adamu, but maybe we found something with Belo, Fernandez, and Kirby. Belo was unstoppable and Fernandez just abused Hume inside. They are big kids. If they commit to the weight room and keep working on their skills I think we'll really have something.

I just wish we had one guy who could shoot it like UNC's top three guards. That would make such a difference. We need to recruit well, and the guys that are here have to have great off-seasons. There's a ray of hope that Sprinkle can finally get this program over the hump.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:19 am

Another student managed to hit the lay up, free throw, 3 pointer, and half court shot for the Rib and Chop house promotion. Cats need to start taking at look at some of these students as potential players.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:11 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:19 am
Another student managed to hit the lay up, free throw, 3 pointer, and half court shot for the Rib and Chop house promotion. Cats need to start taking at look at some of these students as potential players.
Wow! Did they make any full-court attempts or was the time gone?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:35 am

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:47 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:35 am
Gonna miss seeing Harry on the floor. The kid's been an outstanding leader, athlete and represented MSU particularly well. The playing of the Norwegian national anthem was extra special.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:07 am

Harry is going to have a long and fruitful pro career in Europe. Imagine how good he'll be when he's only guarded by one guy instead of three.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:30 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:11 am
AFCAT wrote:
Yeah, he tried at least two full court shots but they weren’t close.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:47 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:35 am
Harald joins Danny and Kral as my favorite Bobcats of all time. Thanks for a fun 4 years!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:01 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:30 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Thanks. Still, $1,111 per minute is pretty good pay. These guys must be practicing. That half court shot is pretty hard, but with practice it becomes a lot more possible.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:27 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:01 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:30 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Thanks. Still, $1,111 per minute is pretty good pay. These guys must be practicing. That half court shot is pretty hard, but with practice it becomes a lot more possible.
Last year I had to give it a go in our gym. Remember it has been 50 years since I laced up but I still go shoot around on occasion. Well I did make one from half court after about 15-20 attempts (and I did do the rotation...layup, free throw, 3 pt first). And no I wasn’t on a time clock. I felt pretty good about myself......except for the damn muscle in my shoulder that took about 3 months to heal. I’ll leave it to the younger folks.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:17 am

I’ve discovered that muscle, and joint. The last time I casually walked past a ball and somehow picked it up I launched a 12-footer that went about 8 feet. Game over. Darn it, I miss it. Love letting these student-athletes play it for me. They are so good.

Harald? A great Bobcat. He’ll stick in my mind like K. Ferch, Sprinkle, Domako, etc. I think he’s adopted Montana as well. We’ll hear about him somewhere in the world again.