WBB @ Southern Utah

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB @ Southern Utah

Post by gtapp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:09 pm

Is this the best lady Cats team we have ever had?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:19 pm

gtapp wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:09 pm
They have to be right up there with the '92 - '93 team led by Cass Bauer that had previously been MSU's only NCAA tournament appearance until they went again in 2017. That team matched UM with identical 13-1 records in Big Sky play, with MSU beating UM in Bozeman on the last day of the season to tie for the regular season title. They then had to go back to the locker rooms in the Fieldhouse to conduct a coin flip tiebreaker, which MSU won to host the conference tournament.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:57 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:19 pm
They then had to go back to the locker rooms in the Fieldhouse to conduct a coin flip tiebreaker, which MSU won to host the conference tournament.
That is crazy!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:17 pm

MSU01 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
They have to be right up there with the '92 - '93 team led by Cass Bauer that had previously been MSU's only NCAA tournament appearance until they went again in 2017. That team matched UM with identical 13-1 records in Big Sky play, with MSU beating UM in Bozeman on the last day of the season to tie for the regular season title. They then had to go back to the locker rooms in the Fieldhouse to conduct a coin flip tiebreaker, which MSU won to host the conference tournament.
Agree this is certainly one of the best of all time and if they end up in the NCAA (and especially if they would win a first round game) you would rank them on top. As noted in several places already, the Lady Cats have the most wins in the history of women’s basketball in the Big Sky and if they win Friday, will tie a Montana men’s team for the record of most wins for either men’s or women’s basketball in a conference season.

Besides the ‘92-93 and ‘16-17 teams mentioned above, the other Bobcat lady team always mentioned is the 1987-88 squad. They still hold the record for most wins in a row (17), the best overall record (24-6), the fewest losses (6), and fewest points allowed (59.4). They had a record of 14-2 in the Mountain West Conference. Unfortunately in the season tournament they lost in opening round to Eastern Washington, a team they beat twice during the regular season. The ‘87-‘88 squad had three ladies that still rank in numerous categories Top 10 all time, I.e. Andrew, Holz, Hill. Holz must have been a heck of a defender as she still has the top 3 individual season records for number of steals in a season.....wonder if Darian can catch her?

But I must say I don’t think I have seen a team as well balanced that consistently has 4-5-6-7 players in double figures and has depth such that you insert anyone from #1 to #10 and don’t seem to lose a beat. I guess that depth differentiates this squad to me.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:23 pm

MSU01 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
I remember that night. Judy Spoelstra was practically turning cartwheels coming back to the arena after the coin flip. That was fun.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:42 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:23 pm
MSU01 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
I remember that night. Judy Spoelstra was practically turning cartwheels coming back to the arena after the coin flip. That was fun.
We were there, too! Thanks for the memories. Really a great night in Bobcat basketball history. Doesn’t get much better. One look at Judy and there was no need for the official announcement.

Having watched the Cass Bauer era live, I think the only comparison that can be made is against the era they played in. The level of play of the game has advanced a lot. Teams across the country are better conditioned, stronger, more athletic and deeper. I do think this is the best “team” of the Binford era. So how successful will they be compared to prior teams? That remains to be determined.