WBB vs. NAU - Senior Night "Be There"

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: WBB vs. NAU - Senior Night "Be There"

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:14 pm

As I like to tell my wife, “Had ‘em all the way.” That game was more useful than another blowout. I’ve never seen a team that fouls more than NAU. Picky officials could have fouled the whole bunch out. Missed free throws hurt but overall we came back to get 68% but it sure didn’t seem like it.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:16 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm
Trailed by 16 early in second half. Outscored then by 21 points before NAU hit three at buzzer. 13 straight wins.

Stat o’ the day: nau scored 8 points in the final 3 seconds of each quarter. 1 in 1st; 2 in 2nd; 2 in 3rd and 3 in fourth.
Great observation.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:24 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:14 pm
As I like to tell my wife, “Had ‘em all the way.” That game was more useful than another blowout. I’ve never seen a team that fouls more than NAU. Picky officials could have fouled the whole bunch out. Missed free throws hurt but overall we came back to get 68% but it sure didn’t seem like it.
The refs were certainly letting the teams play, and kudos to NAU for taking advantage of that in the first half. MSU came out flatter than a pancake, not surprising given their championship clinching performances against UM and Sac. I love that the team stayed positive and knew they'd be able to make a run to get back in it. On to SUU on Thursday!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:30 pm

As great as it is to honor the seniors which they have earned ten fold, it is a distraction. Things were a little off for the first half. Refs "letting them play" the first half definitely benefitted NAU's physical (ie fouling) play.

Having the ability to bear down and will a win is the mark of a great team. Fantastic crowd and great win Lady Cats!

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:42 pm

I saw some smiles when they had come back to maybe six down. They seemed to relax a little and that freed them up to really go to work. Talk about making basketball into a team game — they absolutely are like one bobcat out there trying to eat the opposition. No words for this special team. Every player means something. I’m happy to be a fan and watch it unfold. It’s taken a lot of patience, there have been a lot of .500 years, but Coach Binford has never allowed the program to go backward. Lots of changes in players and assistant coaches and a brilliant idea with John Stockton. That year sort of lit the fire and they have just kept going. With real students. And we only read about them in the news for basketball. Keep on grinding. Great things ahead!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Wow what a game. First half they couldn't miss, we weren't getting any calls, and we couldn't hit anything including free throws...except Tori Martell. I've seen a lot of senior nights where the juniors have to bail them out, and Martell certainly did that today. Huge threes in the second half and one was way deep. Then Squires got two steals and Blaire Braxton took over inside. NAU played extremely well-I was really impressed with them. Their coach is make great progress with that program. Wouldn't be surprised to see them again in Boise.

I think we needed a game like that.

bobcat2651
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcat2651 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:24 pm

comeback win, great way for the seniors to go out, congrats madeline on 1000 points and a great four years!!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:37 pm

Cats are playing well...up 55-39 with about 8 minutes to go, over a team that beat UM on Thursday night.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Cats led 63-45 with about 4 minutes remaining, and then NAU scored the final 12 points of the game to make it closer than it should have been...final score 63-57. But hey...that was a good road win.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Oops...I just realized my last 2 posts were in the wrong thread.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:41 pm

the 17th conference win is the most by any women’s team in Big Sky history

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:29 pm
Maddy Smith 1000 career points...
Blair Braxton moved into the Top 10 all time for number of rebounds. Wished they would have thrown that up on the screen too. She passed Coach Mobley rebound totals to do this.

Maybe you noticed Coach Mobley was not on the bench tonight.....Coach Binford announced pre-game that Coach Mobley had a new little Bobcat this morning....”Mia”. Congrats!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:44 pm

Announcers said NAU held the lead for 35 minutes of the game. That’s a little too much for us geriatrically inclined near heart attack folks!

NAU will be one of the teams to beat next year. They get better every time I see them.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:49 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:44 pm
Announcers said NAU held the lead for 35 minutes of the game. That’s a little too much for us geriatrically inclined near heart attack folks!

NAU will be one of the teams to beat next year. They get better every time I see them.
NAU may well be THE team to beat. Every player who scored for them today will return next year.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:48 pm

Three points about this game:
1. The Lady Cats really played a poor game for most of the first 2 1/2 quarters but were still able to overcome
that to beat a good team.

2. This game reveals what could easily happen in Boise.

3. The Cats already had the conference clinched but if they had lost this game it would have torpedoed their
chances of getting a decent seed in the NCAA if they ARE able to win the tournament.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:14 pm

They are fun to watch!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:24 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:29 pm
Maddy Smith 1000 career points...
Blair Braxton moved into the Top 10 all time for number of rebounds. Wished they would have thrown that up on the screen too. She passed Coach Mobley rebound totals to do this.

Maybe you noticed Coach Mobley was not on the bench tonight.....Coach Binford announced pre-game that Coach Mobley had a new little Bobcat this morning....”Mia”. Congrats!
Braxton doesn’t seem to care about that stuff. I’m sad that this was her last game in Bozeman. She plays with heart and gives 100% every game. Doesn’t get the press that the scorers do, but I’m glad she’s a Bobcat! She’s a fighter!

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:32 am

Senior night? Get real emotional! Shed a ton of tears and then go play a game? The ladies pulled it out with a great 2nd half! I’m not sure how, but they didn’t want to lose and showed it on the court! Class move by Binford to let the Seniors come off the court together! Fun game! I’m going to Boise, it’s expensive, but it’s going to be a long time before we have a team like this again. Congrats to Braxton, Squires and Smith for an excellent 4 years. Congrats to Kuderer and Freije for a great Senior season!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:04 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:41 pm
the 17th conference win is the most by any women’s team in Big Sky history

With 2 more games yet to play... go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:40 am