Bobcats vs. Griz A memorable day and evening

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Bobcats vs. Griz A memorable day and evening

Post by aucat » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:48 am

What a day it was! It began at 2 pm. Over 3700 fans were in attendance to witness a DOMINATING Lady Cat team that crushed the Griz and clinched another Big Sky Conference championship. It was a fast-paced, up-tempo game, truly fun to watch. For the third straight game the Lady Cats scored over 90 points. They made 11 3 pointers (enjoyed the chili from Wendy's!) The nets were cut down. Confetti flowed. The Spirit of the West band put on their usual spectacular show, as did the cheerleaders and dance team. The Bobcat crowd was filled with sheer joy. Enthusiasm. Fun.

Then I came to the game at 7 p.m. The paper said 6600 was in attendance but the place looked packed to me. Again, tremendous joy, spirit, enthusiasm. The football team paraded the Great Divide trophy around while the crowd went wild. The Lady Cats came out on the court and were honored for their incredible achievement. Same great band and cheerleaders and dance team. Then the game began. As both coaches said, it was an ugly game to watch. A defensive struggle. Our guys just couldn't make shots. 3 of 20 from the 3 point line. Many missed free throws that would turn out to be critical. Almost 20 turnovers.

A great spirited effort. Lots of heart. But our guys just weren't good enough. The Cats were yet again swept by the Griz.

Okay, here's the deal: The University of Montana is an institution in decline. Their on campus enrollment has fallen so much that they only have a little over 60% of the students compared to MSU in Bozeman.

There should be no magic in competing and defeating the U. of Montana in any sport. Coach Choate figured out how to do it, and quickly. Four in a row! It took a while but Coach Binford has done the same: two straight years SWEEPING the Griz. Winners of 9 out of 11. Her THIRD Big SKy Conference title.

I'm not about to throw Danny Sprinkle under the bus. He just got here. And I am realistic. I am not suggesting that we should expect to immediately achieve the same success that Coach Binford has achieved. However, IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE to continually lose to the Griz ON YOUR HOME COURT year after year after year! Anyone who watched the game last night realizes the obvious fact that UM has better players. Sprinkle needs to change that. And soon. Just as Coach Choate did. Just as Coach Binford did. Montana State in 2020 is THE "University of the state of Montana." There is no disagreement with that. The men's basketball program needs to reflect that and soon.

Go Cats Go!

BobcatDel

Re: Bobcats vs. Griz A memorable day and evening

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Don't forget the full court shot the kid made!!!! Look behind the bench during the celebration and see Choate running to congratulate the kid!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Gotta’ love Choate 😀

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Lately Ryan Tootell and Colter Nuanez have put out a series of podcast interviews of “Griz greats in the coaching tree.” I’ve not listened to any, but the promos got me thinking. Their coaches have had a lot of success after moving on from UM. An NCAA national championship. Two head coaches in the NFL. Two current PAC-12 head coaches. Etc.

Guess what? Their coaches have simply been better than ours. Hire better coaches — they’ll give you a better team. We just somehow need to make better choices. And I think we have lately. Daniel Jones is even getting the volleyball team tuned up.

I do have high hopes for Danny Sprinkle. He at least has the spirit, attitude, and energy that it takes. He’s brought fans to the Brick. He’ll bring players to the Brick. This team is putting out about 105% of capacity. They have surprised me. I think it will get better as the players get better. He now has a better game day experience that he can recruit to.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Lady griz seniors are 1-7 against Cats
griz FB seniors are 0-4

Anyone have any of the other sport stats?

MBB not too rosey.

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:09 am

Coach Choate was a big presence at the game Sat. night, no question. The guy has "WINNER" all over him as he meets folks and walks around the arena.

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:46 am

aucat wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:48 am
What a day it was! It began at 2 pm. Over 3700 fans were in attendance to witness a DOMINATING Lady Cat team that crushed the Griz and clinched another Big Sky Conference championship. It was a fast-paced, up-tempo game, truly fun to watch. For the third straight game the Lady Cats scored over 90 points. They made 11 3 pointers (enjoyed the chili from Wendy's!) The nets were cut down. Confetti flowed. The Spirit of the West band put on their usual spectacular show, as did the cheerleaders and dance team. The Bobcat crowd was filled with sheer joy. Enthusiasm. Fun.

Then I came to the game at 7 p.m. The paper said 6600 was in attendance but the place looked packed to me. Again, tremendous joy, spirit, enthusiasm. The football team paraded the Great Divide trophy around while the crowd went wild. The Lady Cats came out on the court and were honored for their incredible achievement. Same great band and cheerleaders and dance team. Then the game began. As both coaches said, it was an ugly game to watch. A defensive struggle. Our guys just couldn't make shots. 3 of 20 from the 3 point line. Many missed free throws that would turn out to be critical. Almost 20 turnovers.

A great spirited effort. Lots of heart. But our guys just weren't good enough. The Cats were yet again swept by the Griz.

Okay, here's the deal: The University of Montana is an institution in decline. Their on campus enrollment has fallen so much that they only have a little over 60% of the students compared to MSU in Bozeman.

There should be no magic in competing and defeating the U. of Montana in any sport. Coach Choate figured out how to do it, and quickly. Four in a row! It took a while but Coach Binford has done the same: two straight years SWEEPING the Griz. Winners of 9 out of 11. Her THIRD Big SKy Conference title.

I'm not about to throw Danny Sprinkle under the bus. He just got here. And I am realistic. I am not suggesting that we should expect to immediately achieve the same success that Coach Binford has achieved. However, IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE to continually lose to the Griz ON YOUR HOME COURT year after year after year! Anyone who watched the game last night realizes the obvious fact that UM has better players. Sprinkle needs to change that. And soon. Just as Coach Choate did. Just as Coach Binford did. Montana State in 2020 is THE "University of the state of Montana." There is no disagreement with that. The men's basketball program needs to reflect that and soon.

Go Cats Go!
Look. I get it. You want to be optimistic after seeing a turn around in other sports programs at MSU. But how many losses, and how many years will it take for you guys to realize that becoming a power even close to that of the Griz year in year out isn’t going to happen?
You do realize that this is as down of a year for UM men’s basketball as you’re going to get for the next 5+ years?
Do you realize just how important Frey is to your squad, and how lost MSU looks without him, and that he will be gone next year?
UM has 3 freshman who routinely start games, another in Naseem Gaskin who is a lock for All BSC the second he steps on the floor even though he will just be a sophomore when he does so. And then you throw in the transfers UM has for next year, and the talented freshman DeCuire has coming yet again, including yet another 3 star recruit in Robby Beasley who fielded over 10 D1 offers including one from the University of Nevada? All I hear out of bobcat fans is optimism, but with the talent UM, UNC, and EWU are able to retain year after year, I don’t get where it comes from.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:38 am

aucat wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:09 am
Coach Choate was a big presence at the game Sat. night, no question. The guy has "WINNER" all over him as he meets folks and walks around the arena.
Left his seat after halftime. Was he still in the gym?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:31 am

He left to come to our tailgate. :^o :^o :^o

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:32 am

Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:46 am
aucat wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:48 am

Go Cats Go!
Look. I get it. You want to be optimistic after seeing a turn around in other sports programs at MSU. But how many losses, and how many years will it take for you guys to realize that becoming a power even close to that of the Griz year in year out isn’t going to happen?
You do realize that this is as down of a year for UM men’s basketball as you’re going to get for the next 5+ years?
Do you realize just how important Frey is to your squad, and how lost MSU looks without him, and that he will be gone next year?
UM has 3 freshman who routinely start games, another in Naseem Gaskin who is a lock for All BSC the second he steps on the floor even though he will just be a sophomore when he does so. And then you throw in the transfers UM has for next year, and the talented freshman DeCuire has coming yet again, including yet another 3 star recruit in Robby Beasley who fielded over 10 D1 offers including one from the University of Nevada? All I hear out of bobcat fans is optimism, but with the talent UM, UNC, and EWU are able to retain year after year, I don’t get where it comes from.
The optimism comes from the fact that our university overall is on the upswing(not just in sports) and our AD seems to actually care now about making sports better instead of just the bottom line.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 am

Griz__00 wrote:
So you acknowledge that MSU has turned it around in other sports that seemed equally hopeless at times (WBB during Selvig's dominance, football during the "streak"), but also try and claim that it's impossible for MSU men's basketball to do something similar? I realize that MBB is literally the only sport you have left to boast about, but to say there's no reason for MSU fans to be optimistic about the future seems a lot more like desperation to hang onto something on your part than it does a reflection of how MSU fans should be feeling about the long-term prospects for success of the program. Only time will tell, but I'll choose to be as optimistic as the Griz fans who still constantly make fun of Coach Choate and MSU's football team despite their impressive 0-4 record against him so far.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:34 am

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 am
Griz__00 wrote:
So you acknowledge that MSU has turned it around in other sports that seemed equally hopeless at times (WBB during Selvig's dominance, football during the "streak"), but also try and claim that it's impossible for MSU men's basketball to do something similar? I realize that MBB is literally the only sport you have left to boast about, but to say there's no reason for MSU fans to be optimistic about the future seems a lot more like desperation to hang onto something on your part than it does a reflection of how MSU fans should be feeling about the long-term prospects for success of the program. Only time will tell, but I'll choose to be as optimistic as the Griz fans who still constantly make fun of Coach Choate and MSU's football team despite their impressive 0-4 record against him so far.
Not even worth the discussion. Many of these griz fans are the same ones for years that claimed their football program would always be a dominant force in the conference and nationally. Despite the fact that no program in any sport has done that, some were convinced that the griz would be the first. They weren't. They saw some very bleak seasons. They haven't been relevant nationally for almost 2 decades. They are occasionally relevant in the conference. They haven't been the best team in the state for 5 years counting. Things change.

All that said, I've maintained forever that UM is a basketball school. Their basketball programs have been better than their football programs year in and year out. They're coaches do excellent and then leave for greener pastures. They regularly are conference champs and represent our conference pretty well. I don't take anything away from that program. But I'll always find it funny that certain fans haven't learned their lessons and just assume this is how it will always be. Especially fans of a university dealing with major enrollment issues. :lol:

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:15 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:34 am
MSU01 wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:
Not even worth the discussion. Many of these griz fans are the same ones for years that claimed their football program would always be a dominant force in the conference and nationally. Despite the fact that no program in any sport has done that, some were convinced that the griz would be the first. They weren't. They saw some very bleak seasons. They haven't been relevant nationally for almost 2 decades. They are occasionally relevant in the conference. They haven't been the best team in the state for 5 years counting. Things change.

All that said, I've maintained forever that UM is a basketball school. Their basketball programs have been better than their football programs year in and year out. They're coaches do excellent and then leave for greener pastures. They regularly are conference champs and represent our conference pretty well. I don't take anything away from that program. But I'll always find it funny that certain fans haven't learned their lessons and just assume this is how it will always be. Especially fans of a university dealing with major enrollment issues. :lol:
To expect a change out of the top powers in MBB like happened in WBB and FB to help the cats become powers isn’t going to happen simply put.
If you want even a slight shot at passing UM, it’ll be a while, as the next 5-6 years for UM will only be an improvement on UMs part. You may become a top 3 or 4 team, but to think you will be the top dog anytime soon is ridiculous.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:15 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:

To expect a change out of the top powers in MBB like happened in WBB and FB to help the cats become powers isn’t going to happen simply put.
If you want even a slight shot at passing UM, it’ll be a while, as the next 5-6 years for UM will only be an improvement on UMs part. You may become a top 3 or 4 team, but to think you will be the top dog anytime soon is ridiculous.
I don't think anyone here is expecting MSU to pass UM. We expect Sprinkle to strengthen the program so that it can be much more competitive with UM, EWU, and the other schools at the top of the standings year in and year out. There's absolutely no reason why MSU or any other Big Sky school can't do that with the right people in place.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:43 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:34 pm
Griz__00 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:

I don't think anyone here is expecting MSU to pass UM. We expect Sprinkle to strengthen the program so that it can be much more competitive with UM, EWU, and the other schools at the top of the standings year in and year out. There's absolutely no reason why MSU or any other Big Sky school can't do that with the right people in place.
Exactly. We're talking about Big Sky basketball. A middle of the road mid-major conference. It's not like UM is Duke or Kansas here. They're always a pretty good team in the Big Sky conference.

I never made any comments about MSU or saying they would be atop the conference. I said fans assuming their teams will be dominant forever are always wrong.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:47 pm

With possible big changes in NCAA transfer rules coming, it's going to be a year-to-year deal for teams as every player will basically be a free agent. For a school like MSU it means a really good player might jump ship, but also we could be a landing spot for players from higher ranked conferences. I think the key is getting your culture right-so you're a place people want to be. I think Choate and Binford have established that. I hope Sprinkle can as well.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/23/proposed- ... cy-frenzy/

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:23 pm

I’m excited for Danny and what he'll do to lead this team! Talent is very important and recruiting is the key, but we also need a player that can play defense, rebound, dive for loose balls and average 6 or so points a game! I think we’re missing that catalyst!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:37 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Griz__00 wrote:

Did Krysko ever play in the tournament? Can't remember exactly who it was but I recall somebody on the Cats slammed him out of the tournament. Believe it or not but four or five points this time of year isn't much to overcome if the kids listen to their coaches the next few weeks.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:46 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:43 pm
Don't forget the full court shot the kid made!!!! Look behind the bench during the celebration and see Choate running to congratulate the kid!

The shot has now been seen over a million times and counting. Joe was interviewed 7 times yesterday. You can't buy that kind of publicity for MSU. Great for the University!! Maybe it will help our recruiting?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:50 am

"To expect a change out of the top powers in MBB like happened in WBB and FB to help the cats become powers isn’t going to happen simply put.
If you want even a slight shot at passing UM, it’ll be a while, as the next 5-6 years for UM will only be an improvement on UMs part. You may become a top 3 or 4 team, but to think you will be the top dog anytime soon is ridiculous."

While I'm not sure if this is completely true in terms of where MSU men's basketball is at, it certainly does remind me of where UM football is at. =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!