Bobcats vs. Griz A memorable day and evening

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Bobcats vs. Griz A memorable day and evening

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:02 pm

I didn’t realize until yesterday that Joe’s full-court make was just part of a shot sequence. He had 60 seconds to make a layup for $1, a free throw for $11, a three-pointer for $111, a half-court shot for $1,111, and then the try for full-court and $11,111. The odds of even getting through the first four shots are pretty slim — that half-court shot is going to be the stopper for most competitors. When I then thought about his full-court shot in light of what he had to do to get there — beyond amazing!

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:05 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:48 am
There should be no magic in competing and defeating the U. of Montana in any sport. Coach Choate figured out how to do it, and quickly. Four in a row! It took a while but Coach Binford has done the same: two straight years SWEEPING the Griz. Winners of 9 out of 11. Her THIRD Big SKy Conference title.

I'm not about to throw Danny Sprinkle under the bus. He just got here. And I am realistic. I am not suggesting that we should expect to immediately achieve the same success that Coach Binford has achieved. However, IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE to continually lose to the Griz ON YOUR HOME COURT year after year after year! Anyone who watched the game last night realizes the obvious fact that UM has better players. Sprinkle needs to change that. And soon. Just as Coach Choate did. Just as Coach Binford did. Montana State in 2020 is THE "University of the state of Montana." There is no disagreement with that. The men's basketball program needs to reflect that and soon.

Go Cats Go!

I understand what you're saying. Quality coaching probably is the biggest difference. Currently Choate and Binford are on a roll.

Yet keep in mind not too many years ago coach Binford was likely very close to being fired. The arrival of John Stockton as assistant probably saved her. Is she the same coach as five years ago? I do know she has attracted a talented group of girls and her kids are playing VERY well. That is now. Just a few years back she was close to being canned. In part Choate's "instant" success is tied to starting his coaching against Stitt's teams. Sometimes luck in timing is everything. It is a fickle business and I'm glad I'm not a coach.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:39 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:02 pm
I didn’t realize until yesterday that Joe’s full-court make was just part of a shot sequence. He had 60 seconds to make a layup for $1, a free throw for $11, a three-pointer for $111, a half-court shot for $1,111, and then the try for full-court and $11,111. The odds of even getting through the first four shots are pretty slim — that half-court shot is going to be the stopper for most competitors. When I then thought about his full-court shot in light of what he had to do to get there — beyond amazing!
Dang, you haven't been to a basketball game in a while then!

It's actually $1, then 10, 100, 1000, and 10k.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:01 pm

Is there a video out there or on Bobcat Nation that shows the whole sequence? That would be fun to watch.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:58 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:39 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Oops, 91, I guess I quoted the ∑ instead. And sadly, no, after rarely missing a game for many years I got weirdly disabled right after I retired and missed them all for 8 years. Still followed everything by radio and PlutoTV and Bobcat Nation. Now I have moved away from Bozeman to warm weather (very helpful to me) and distance keeps me away from the Brick. So not really caught up on the halftime promotions!! I’m getting a chance to drive up to Cedar City to catch the women at SUU and my wife and I are both beyond excited! 😎

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:15 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:58 am
91catAlum wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Oops, 91, I guess I quoted the ∑ instead. And sadly, no, after rarely missing a game for many years I got weirdly disabled right after I retired and missed them all for 8 years. Still followed everything by radio and PlutoTV and Bobcat Nation. Now I have moved away from Bozeman to warm weather (very helpful to me) and distance keeps me away from the Brick. So not really caught up on the halftime promotions!! I’m getting a chance to drive up to Cedar City to catch the women at SUU and my wife and I are both beyond excited! 😎
Not judging you, just saying they've been doing that promo for a few years. I understand that, I lived out of state for a few years and never made a single game.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:52 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

4ever,
Enjoy the game and continue to enjoy the warm climate. Life is pretty simple in that 🎶you can’t please everyone so you got to please yourself!🎶 From that great American philosopher Ricky Nelson! I hope the team doesn’t have a let down! I wish I could be in Bozeman for Senior night on Saturday!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:16 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:01 pm
Is there a video out there or on Bobcat Nation that shows the whole sequence? That would be fun to watch.
There was on, I can't remember if it was FB or Twitter, from I think someone working the event. I'd have to dig but I did watch the whole thing.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:05 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:15 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Not judging you, just saying they've been doing that promo for a few years. I understand that, I lived out of state for a few years and never made a single game.
Oh 91, no offense taken! You were right that I’d missed more than a few games. We started attending during the Cass Bauer era and had missed precious few home games before the 2011 season. I now remember seeing the shot progression but didn’t realize it extended beyond half court. I’m sure other schools do it and that must be a really rare event to complete it.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:55 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

=D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:58 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:55 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

=D^ =D^
BTW this is why I'll never OWN a place in Arizona. I might go down there for a month, but more than that and you miss too much basketball.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

PBRgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by PBRgriz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 pm

aucat wrote:
What a day it was! It began at 2 pm. Over 3700 fans were in attendance to witness a DOMINATING Lady Cat team that crushed the Griz and clinched another Big Sky Conference championship. It was a fast-paced, up-tempo game, truly fun to watch. For the third straight game the Lady Cats scored over 90 points. They made 11 3 pointers (enjoyed the chili from Wendy's!) The nets were cut down. Confetti flowed. The Spirit of the West band put on their usual spectacular show, as did the cheerleaders and dance team. The Bobcat crowd was filled with sheer joy. Enthusiasm. Fun.

Then I came to the game at 7 p.m. The paper said 6600 was in attendance but the place looked packed to me. Again, tremendous joy, spirit, enthusiasm. The football team paraded the Great Divide trophy around while the crowd went wild. The Lady Cats came out on the court and were honored for their incredible achievement. Same great band and cheerleaders and dance team. Then the game began. As both coaches said, it was an ugly game to watch. A defensive struggle. Our guys just couldn't make shots. 3 of 20 from the 3 point line. Many missed free throws that would turn out to be critical. Almost 20 turnovers.

A great spirited effort. Lots of heart. But our guys just weren't good enough. The Cats were yet again swept by the Griz.

Okay, here's the deal: The University of Montana is an institution in decline. Their on campus enrollment has fallen so much that they only have a little over 60% of the students compared to MSU in Bozeman.

There should be no magic in competing and defeating the U. of Montana in any sport. Coach Choate figured out how to do it, and quickly. Four in a row! It took a while but Coach Binford has done the same: two straight years SWEEPING the Griz. Winners of 9 out of 11. Her THIRD Big SKy Conference title.

I'm not about to throw Danny Sprinkle under the bus. He just got here. And I am realistic. I am not suggesting that we should expect to immediately achieve the same success that Coach Binford has achieved. However, IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE to continually lose to the Griz ON YOUR HOME COURT year after year after year! Anyone who watched the game last night realizes the obvious fact that UM has better players. Sprinkle needs to change that. And soon. Just as Coach Choate did. Just as Coach Binford did. Montana State in 2020 is THE "University of the state of Montana." There is no disagreement with that. The men's basketball program needs to reflect that and soon.

Go Cats Go!
One win in ten years.

One.

Truly delusional.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:05 am

PBRgriz wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 pm
aucat wrote:
What a day it was! It began at 2 pm. Over 3700 fans were in attendance to witness a DOMINATING Lady Cat team that crushed the Griz and clinched another Big Sky Conference championship. It was a fast-paced, up-tempo game, truly fun to watch. For the third straight game the Lady Cats scored over 90 points. They made 11 3 pointers (enjoyed the chili from Wendy's!) The nets were cut down. Confetti flowed. The Spirit of the West band put on their usual spectacular show, as did the cheerleaders and dance team. The Bobcat crowd was filled with sheer joy. Enthusiasm. Fun.

Then I came to the game at 7 p.m. The paper said 6600 was in attendance but the place looked packed to me. Again, tremendous joy, spirit, enthusiasm. The football team paraded the Great Divide trophy around while the crowd went wild. The Lady Cats came out on the court and were honored for their incredible achievement. Same great band and cheerleaders and dance team. Then the game began. As both coaches said, it was an ugly game to watch. A defensive struggle. Our guys just couldn't make shots. 3 of 20 from the 3 point line. Many missed free throws that would turn out to be critical. Almost 20 turnovers.

A great spirited effort. Lots of heart. But our guys just weren't good enough. The Cats were yet again swept by the Griz.

Okay, here's the deal: The University of Montana is an institution in decline. Their on campus enrollment has fallen so much that they only have a little over 60% of the students compared to MSU in Bozeman.

Go Cats Go!
One win in ten years.

One.

Truly delusional.
Thank you for your contribution to this thread. Truly.

GO CATS GO!!!