Evaluation

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Evaluation

Post by 1984champ » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:09 am

I don’t follow the Men’s program closely but would like to hear an honest evaluation of the current program status and future outlook. We are closing in on the end of conference play and again staring at a .500 season finish and another season sweep against dUMb. What does this team (coaches and players) need to do to be better than middle of the pack? Can Sprinkle get it done? Can and will the staff evaluate, recruit and develop the talent needed to be more competitive? Thanks for any input.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Evaluation

Post by MSU01 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 am

From what I've seen, the coaching staff has squeezed every drop of talent out of this year's roster. They just don't have enough guys who can score, so if a team can shut down Frey and Belo like UM did last night, the offense will look pretty ugly. Personally, I like everything I've seen from Sprinkle both on the court and off the court. He has been tireless in trying to build enthusiasm and support for the team, and the increase in attendance this year shows that the work is paying off even if the wins aren't necessarily coming quite yet.

I don't think it's fair to judge recruiting or player development when a coach hasn't even completed one full year yet. On paper Sprinkle's 2020 recruiting class looks good and I'm excited to see this year's transfer Xavier Bishop get to play next season. Again, they desperately need more scorers.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:39 am

There’s no doubt that the program is headed in the right direction and this year was just the first step in the transformation. Talent wins and the program is in need of an upgrade. I think .500 is a major achievement and it’s only going to get better. I wasn’t expecting much more this year, but I think you’re looking at the wrong indicators. Morale on the team is high and they play with the appropriate energy. Coach is building a culture that’s going to serve the program well for many years. I like that when the players come off the court they get encouragement and instruction. They want to get better. The bench is involved in every game and wanting their teammates to work hard! It’s a different feeling around this team. I look at this season as a huge success!

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks for the response. Many of the comments from last nights game from coaches and media were in reference to defense. Maybe I watch the game with a different perspective but I came away thinking that the defense was good enough but we need better shooters.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:03 am

I agree with the other posters and would add that at least three of the players on this year's team who will not be on next year's team. Danny and his coaches will bring in transfers to replace them and provide better shooting skills and depth at point guard.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:34 am

I look at the situation kind of like Choate looked at it in football. Year 1 play hard but lose some games due to not enough scorers. Year 2 start winning a couple of games at the buzzer or hanging with teams, young players start to develop. Year 3 start to win close games with confidence. Year 4 the team knows it's going to win. Deep bench like the women.

2024 Resume dominance

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 am

1984champ wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:09 am
I don’t follow the Men’s program closely but would like to hear an honest evaluation of the current program status and future outlook. We are closing in on the end of conference play and again staring at a .500 season finish and another season sweep against dUMb. What does this team (coaches and players) need to do to be better than middle of the pack? Can Sprinkle get it done? Can and will the staff evaluate, recruit and develop the talent needed to be more competitive? Thanks for any input.
Simple: do what Coach Choate and Coach BInford did. Recruit better players than UM.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:07 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 am
From what I've seen, the coaching staff has squeezed every drop of talent out of this year's roster. They just don't have enough guys who can score, so if a team can shut down Frey and Belo like UM did last night, the offense will look pretty ugly. Personally, I like everything I've seen from Sprinkle both on the court and off the court. He has been tireless in trying to build enthusiasm and support for the team, and the increase in attendance this year shows that the work is paying off even if the wins aren't necessarily coming quite yet.

I don't think it's fair to judge recruiting or player development when a coach hasn't even completed one full year yet. On paper Sprinkle's 2020 recruiting class looks good and I'm excited to see this year's transfer Xavier Bishop get to play next season. Again, they desperately need more scorers.
I agree with MSU01 comments. Building on his comments, I find the defensive performance this year greatly improved over prior years. Being an offensive minded guy I thought Coach might forget about defense but I am pleasantly surprised on the emphasis there. I think getting a couple good shooters and replacing a play maker guard (Xavier only has one year to play) for the future are key. I like that we finally have a bit of actual "bigness" in the middle to build around... Belo has a couple years after this, Kirby has another year, Borja has three more years (I haven't seen enough of Fleute but with Haslam coaching I hope he can see the court more...needs to get faster but shows development potential).

Other thing I like is the Assistant Coaching Staff he has surrounded himself with... Russell, Haslam, Dirden... all quality folks.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:15 pm

I asked in the other thread but didn't get an answer: why aren't Quinlan and Gulliford playing? We seem to sorely lack depth and those guys sure seem like they could provide some good minutes.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:19 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:15 pm
I asked in the other thread but didn't get an answer: why aren't Quinlan and Gulliford playing? We seem to sorely lack depth and those guys sure seem like they could provide some good minutes.
Injured, I do believe.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:56 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 am

Yep. It will take at least next season to see if we’re going in the right direction. But so far I’ve been pleased with this staff.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Like the better defensive effort. Watching the game with my Uncle who played some ball. Biggest things he noticed that no one on our team has very quick feet including Adamo.

No ball movement and the big men were setting up too far below free throw line clogging up lane. To be fair, BYU ran some of the same offensive principles but ran a dribble drive into that set offense creating more ball movement. Nobody can shoot the ball consistently.

Play hard but are about 3 levels back from Montana in terms of talent. It is going to take a few years of bringing in better talent across the board. Think Danny will learn fast on the job and will get program going...but it will take some time.

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:50 am

aucat wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 am
1984champ wrote:
Simple: do what Coach Choate and Coach BInford did. Recruit better players than UM.
Which yet again, isn’t going to happen when it comes to men’s basketball.
UM has had 3 3 star recruits commit in the past 2 years, I don’t even recall the last time MSU had 1.
This kid alone is a lock all BSC 2 or 3 years, and will be one of the best players to ever step on the floor in a Griz uni, and he has yet to play a game for us. I don’t get why you think good recruits grow on trees, and why they’d want to go to Bozeman of all places.
Here’s a real recruit. Maybe you can grab one of these sometime in the next 100 years.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:23 am

Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:50 am
aucat wrote:
1984champ wrote:
UM has had 3 3 star recruits commit in the past 2 years, I don’t even recall the last time MSU had 1.
This kid alone is a lock all BSC 2 or 3 years, and will be one of the best players to ever step on the floor in a Griz uni, and he has yet to play a game for us. I don’t get why you think good recruits grow on trees, and why they’d want to go to Bozeman of all places.
Here’s a real recruit. Maybe you can grab one of these sometime in the next 100 years.

:lol: =D^

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 am

The UM campus is losing students in droves. According to 00 the basketball team is recruiting players in droves. Are basketball players choosing that school for its academics? Or are they not students? I’m confused.

Many athletes choose MSU for its great academics, and for its location in a fast-growing city with a future. Just wait ...

Griz__00
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Griz__00 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:07 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 am
The UM campus is losing students in droves. According to 00 the basketball team is recruiting players in droves. Are basketball players choosing that school for its academics? Or are they not students? I’m confused.

Many athletes choose MSU for its great academics, and for its location in a fast-growing city with a future. Just wait ...
They don’t choose UM for academics. They choose it for program tradition, along with the reputation UM allows for potential futures in basketball coaching with the many great Griz coaches, many of whom are coaching P12 right now, and the chance to play professional basketball, with 3 of the 4 seniors on last years roster currently playing professional basketball.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:09 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:07 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

They don’t choose UM for academics.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:07 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

They don’t choose UM for academics.
Well I think we can all agree on that one.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:35 pm

Griz__00 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:50 am
aucat wrote:
1984champ wrote:

I remember my first beer. :roll:

GO CATS GO!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:59 pm

LOL, the same Griz fan has shown up in a second thread desperately trying to cling to UM's last remaining shred of advantage in anything over MSU.