Cats WBB wins again!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Cats WBB wins again!

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm

The ladies put up 98 tonight against PSU after scoring 102 against Weber on Saturday. They are rolling right now on offense and it's pretty to watch. NAU beat Idaho tonight in double OT, which means that MSU has a four game lead now and can clinch at least a share of the regular season championship by beating the Griz on Saturday.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Cats WBB wins again!

Post by wapiti » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:43 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm
The ladies put up 98 tonight against PSU after scoring 102 against Weber on Saturday. They are rolling right now on offense and it's pretty to watch. NAU beat Idaho tonight in double OT, which means that MSU has a four game lead now and can clinch at least a share of the regular season championship by beating the Griz on Saturday.
I think it actually a 3.5 game lead over NAU
4 game lead over Idaho

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:42 pm

So...if we beat the griz do we get to cut the nets down after the game? How sweet would that be?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:15 am

wapiti wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:43 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm
I think it actually a 3.5 game lead over NAU
4 game lead over Idaho
Guess so. I just look at the loss column because that's ultimately what matters.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:52 am

Is the 10 game winning streak a record?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:35 am

Go cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:52 am
I wondered about that too. I did find a 10 game winning streak in 2010-11

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... eason/2011

The ladies had a 4 game winning streak going into conference play and started 6-0 in conference.

I think this year's 10 game winning streak is more impressive because they are all Big Sky games.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:30 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:52 am
No. Record is 17. Set back in the 80s.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 am

Thanks, went looking:
https://msubobcats.com/documents/2016/1 ... 6_2016.pdf

Some that stand out on first glance:

MSU Team Records:
Longest Winning Streak: 17 games, 1987-88
Most Victories In One Season: 24, 1987-88
Fewest Losses In One Season: 6, 1987-88
Best Overall Record In One Season: 24-6, 1987-88
Best Conference Record In One Season: 13-1, 1992-93

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am

I watched the first game in its entirety last night, and I'm glad I did. Something that stood out was if you didn't know the score, and often Pluto didn't have the running score for some reason, then you would think that game was closer than it was. Up until late in the second half, the game appeared to close to call based only on my observations of the play and not seeing the score. Although in reality, the game went from +7 points to +15 points up over a stretch that I swore PSU had the advantage...or at best appeared even.

At one point in the second half, the announcers even commented that this Cat team is continuously and relentlessly applying pressure making it impossible for PSU to mount a meaningful comeback. This team echoes a Choate coached team in my opinion. They play hard, physical, and just keep grinding and grinding. Late in 2nd quarter Smith picked up her 3rd PF, and then her 4th with plenty of time remaining, and the announcers were trying to add some drama. However, the simple reality is that Binford is continuously moving people in and out to maintain a consistent level of intensity, so the team's depth and continuity made Smith's foul trouble a non-factor. Really nothing could have helped PSU regardless of their own level of play as long as the Cat's simply kept doing exactly what they do.

Great stuff. As a near exclusive football guy, this team was amazing to watch. I'm going to catch as many games as a can through the final stretch.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:24 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am
I watched the first game in its entirety last night, and I'm glad I did. Something that stood out was if you didn't know the score, and often Pluto didn't have the running score for some reason, then you would think that game was closer than it was. Up until late in the second half, the game appeared to close to call based only on my observations of the play and not seeing the score. Although in reality, the game went from +7 points to +15 points up over a stretch that I swore PSU had the advantage...or at best appeared even.

At one point in the second half, the announcers even commented that this Cat team is continuously and relentlessly applying pressure making it impossible for PSU to mount a meaningful comeback. This team echoes a Choate coached team in my opinion. They play hard, physical, and just keep grinding and grinding. Late in 2nd quarter Smith picked up her 3rd PF, and then her 4th with plenty of time remaining, and the announcers were trying to add some drama. However, the simple reality is that Binford is continuously moving people in and out to maintain a consistent level of intensity, so the team's depth and continuity made Smith's foul trouble a non-factor. Really nothing could have helped PSU regardless of their own level of play as long as the Cat's simply kept doing exactly what they do.

Great stuff. As a near exclusive football guy, this team was amazing to watch. I'm going to catch as many games as a can through the final stretch.
It's nice to hear your perspective watching a game for the first time and I think your spot on. Games that are close at the half often end in blowouts because of the constant rotation off the bench. Keep watching, you'll enjoy.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am

Welcome aboard! This team is pretty special. And I was thinking last night that Binford must have been talking to Choate. They pulled PSU into some mighty deep water in that 4th quarter last evening.

aucat

Post by aucat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:28 pm

I used to gripe when Trish would constantly substitute but I don't anymore because this team has SO MUCH DEPTH. I think that is a key reason why we are often blowing teams out in the second half. Even last night, winning by 30, the Cats were nowhere close to playing to their potential. Too many missed putbacks. Too many turnovers. I hate it when they "over pass." A player is wide open for a 3 or maybe from 8 feet out, yet they try one more pass and it ends up in a turnover.

So what I'm basically saying, this team is scary good. I learned a long time ago, ESPECIALLY in basketball, that you can't assume you are going to win ANY game, but if these ladies keep it up they could actually end up with a decent NCAA seed.

Now for the hilarious part. Saturday night there will be 7500 on hand (me included) to watch our annual beatdown on our home court. The Griz will hand us our butts.

At 2 p.m. one of the greatest women's teams to ever play for MSU will probably have, what 3000-3500 fans on hand? And for the Griz game? It's great that we regularly have around 2000 who come out to see this outstanding team. However, I have tried to stop understanding why Cat fans don't fill the Brick for this team. I watched the South Carolina women the other night on TV. They had 18,000 fans on hand. A hard sellout. Yes, they are leading the SEC, but is Columbia, SC in the deep South more supportive of women than Bozeman, MT? Really? No, it's because they have a winning championship team and the sports fans in Columbia appreciate, recognize and support their championship team. I would not call Columbia, SC the bastion of support for women's athletics. Like I said, I can't explain why we aren't filling the gym. I guarantee you if the men had a four game lead in the Big Sky right now the gym would be packed. Go figure.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:58 pm

I hope the Cat griz wbb game has 4,000 plus. I'll be bringing 4 additional fans from out of town to the game. Remember it is the "White Out" game.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Sign of a great team to just play ok and win by 30! What I really liked is the intensity and excitement continued in the last minutes when our reserves where in the game. This team never lets up. One area of concern is that officiating crew. Can D1 officials really be that bad? They obviously didn’t impact the outcome of the game, but in the do or die world of a conference tourney, I hope they have the best crews possible! Lots of excitement and lots to celebrate. Lots of unfinished business. Got to win the conference tourney and earn a decent seed.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:08 pm

aucat wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:28 pm
Now for the hilarious part. Saturday night there will be 7500 on hand (me included) to watch our annual beatdown on our home court. The Griz will hand us our butts.

At 2 p.m. one of the greatest women's teams to ever play for MSU will probably have, what 3000-3500 fans on hand? And for the Griz game? It's great that we regularly have around 2000 who come out to see this outstanding team. However, I have tried to stop understanding why Cat fans don't fill the Brick for this team. I watched the South Carolina women the other night on TV. They had 18,000 fans on hand. A hard sellout. Yes, they are leading the SEC, but is Columbia, SC in the deep South more supportive of women than Bozeman, MT? Really? No, it's because they have a winning championship team and the sports fans in Columbia appreciate, recognize and support their championship team. I would not call Columbia, SC the bastion of support for women's athletics. Like I said, I can't explain why we aren't filling the gym. I guarantee you if the men had a four game lead in the Big Sky right now the gym would be packed. Go figure.
I hear what you're saying and absolutely agree. All I would say is, our average women's crowd is the envy of many of the men's teams in our league. We should do better though. Our team deserves it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:38 pm

aucat wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:28 pm
I used to gripe when Trish would constantly substitute but I don't anymore because this team has SO MUCH DEPTH. I think that is a key reason why we are often blowing teams out in the second half. Even last night, winning by 30, the Cats were nowhere close to playing to their potential. Too many missed putbacks. Too many turnovers. I hate it when they "over pass." A player is wide open for a 3 or maybe from 8 feet out, yet they try one more pass and it ends up in a turnover.

So what I'm basically saying, this team is scary good. I learned a long time ago, ESPECIALLY in basketball, that you can't assume you are going to win ANY game, but if these ladies keep it up they could actually end up with a decent NCAA seed.

Because more people tune in to men’s sports than they do women’s? This isn’t groundbreaking stuff. I’m not saying I agree, but facts are facts. Seems like a weird thing to get upset about considering it’s how it goes for every sport at every level.

The men’s team might in fact get beat down by the griz. Just seems weird to use them and throw them under the bus to prove just how “hilarious” it’ll be when they get killed in front of more fans than the women have. That’s crappy. I hope both men’s and women’s team win and play in front of great crowds; regardless of how many are there.

But yes, there will be more at the men’s game....

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Would be nice to fill the Brick........ rather have 4K rabid fans versus just filling the gym. Tremendous season for the lady cats. I really like this Senior class. Hope they leave with two BSC titles. Would be nice to clinch the title on Senior night, but think we might clinch this Saturday.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:38 am

I don't mean to throw the men's team under the bus. I have season tickets to both the men AND the women. I'm just being realistic due to Harry rolling his ankle. Is an upset possible? Yes it's possible and I'll be there pulling for it. I don't expect it to happen but I will be there cheering them on. I hope I eat crow with my prediction that we will get whacked.

As for the women, I used the example of South Carolina's women team having 18,000 fans on hand the other night. I realize that more fans support men's sports than women's but that doesn't explain the incredible support that South Carolina gives its women does it? Also, I do agree that our attendance for both men and women is the envy of the rest of the Big Sky, but I think that is a cop out and here's why: Montana is unique in that we only have the two major universities. Every other Big Sky school suffers from an inferiority complex. Weber State has BYU just down the road, not to mention Utah, Utah State. ISU and Idaho have the big dog of Boise State. Portland State has to deal with Oregon and OSU. EWU is the small dog compared to UW and WSU. And on and on. So therefore, I make my case. Here in Bozeman, if an MSU team is competing for a championship, the attendance should reflect that. I think the attendance for the men is okay given that we are middle of the pack in the Big Sky. But the women running away with the Big Sky? I personally feel the crowds should be averaging twice what we are--at least 4000 per game. Go Cats. Hope we win them both Saturday.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:13 am

Agreed. The ladies Absolutely deserve more attendance then the men’s team.

One of the best teams/seasons they have ever had, not sure what else you can ask from them. Need to get more butts in the seats.

FTG- GO CATS GO!