Looking Ahead to the Big Sky Tournament

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Looking Ahead to the Big Sky Tournament

Post by MSU01 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Mrs TrackCat wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 pm
Does anyone know if any, or all the tournament games will be televised? Thanks!
This site has a nice summary of the TV/streaming options for the tournaments.

https://bigskyconf.com/tournaments/?id=542

Mrs TrackCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mrs TrackCat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:42 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 pm
Mrs TrackCat wrote:
This site has a nice summary of the TV/streaming options for the tournaments.

https://bigskyconf.com/tournaments/?id=542
Thanks so much! I should have thought to look there.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:16 am
I do like knowing in advance where the tourney will be.....far in advance just for the logistics planning. But certainly I do understand the home court advantage.

Since I was out of the area/country for many years I don’t know how the tourney logistics were managed in the past...especially if the champion was not determined until the last week or two of the season? In fact, didn’t the Bobcat women win the conference on the last game of the season just 2 or 3 years ago....now that would be some quick planning!

I however observe that today, facilities are used for many multi-functional events scheduled up to a couple years in advance. As an example, if we used the system of the conference champion hosting....then this year if the current men (Griz) and women (Cat) conference leaders were to prevail... then Bozeman and the MHAA working with the AA schools would have to figure how to accommodate the AA boys & girls tourney (scheduled in the Brick) and Big Sky women’s tourney the same week as well as all fans who need a place to stay from high schools and Big Sky colleges......all in just 4 short weeks.......Missoula and the MHAA working with Class C schools would start planning now to accommodate the Class C boys & girls tourney and the Big Sky men’s tourney simultaneously in Dahlberg in just 4 weeks in Missoula. Even if we look forward a year, Bozeman is currently on the hook to host the State C tourney next year the same week as the Big Sky tourney....but a year in advance (2021) would allow the Class C tourney to be moved to another city so Big Sky women tourney could be here based on our championship this year. This example does not include any concerts, track meets, large conferences, trade shows, speakers, etc that might be scheduled in the Brick well in advance.......so do Big Sky schools just start blocking out those dates on the calendar so those multi-million dollar facilities are idled those weeks in case we win the conference....and do we decline to host future High School State BB tourneys (I.e. rotate High School tourneys to Helena, Billings, Great Falls, Kalispell, Havre only)....Just a logistical challenge to address....can be done....but why???

I believe the trend is to move tournaments to neutral sites. Heck Coach Choate would even like semi-finals in football to move to a neutral site.
Choate wouldn't agree if we were hosting the semi-final game.

Besides, I think he was being facetious.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:12 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am

Which he was 100% without a doubt.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:16 am
I do like knowing in advance where the tourney will be.....far in advance just for the logistics planning. But certainly I do understand the home court advantage.

Since I was out of the area/country for many years I don’t know how the tourney logistics were managed in the past...especially if the champion was not determined until the last week or two of the season? In fact, didn’t the Bobcat women win the conference on the last game of the season just 2 or 3 years ago....now that would be some quick planning!

I however observe that today, facilities are used for many multi-functional events scheduled up to a couple years in advance. As an example, if we used the system of the conference champion hosting....then this year if the current men (Griz) and women (Cat) conference leaders were to prevail... then Bozeman and the MHAA working with the AA schools would have to figure how to accommodate the AA boys & girls tourney (scheduled in the Brick) and Big Sky women’s tourney the same week as well as all fans who need a place to stay from high schools and Big Sky colleges......all in just 4 short weeks.......Missoula and the MHAA working with Class C schools would start planning now to accommodate the Class C boys & girls tourney and the Big Sky men’s tourney simultaneously in Dahlberg in just 4 weeks in Missoula. Even if we look forward a year, Bozeman is currently on the hook to host the State C tourney next year the same week as the Big Sky tourney....but a year in advance (2021) would allow the Class C tourney to be moved to another city so Big Sky women tourney could be here based on our championship this year. This example does not include any concerts, track meets, large conferences, trade shows, speakers, etc that might be scheduled in the Brick well in advance.......so do Big Sky schools just start blocking out those dates on the calendar so those multi-million dollar facilities are idled those weeks in case we win the conference....and do we decline to host future High School State BB tourneys (I.e. rotate High School tourneys to Helena, Billings, Great Falls, Kalispell, Havre only)....Just a logistical challenge to address....can be done....but why???

I believe the trend is to move tournaments to neutral sites. Heck Coach Choate would even like semi-finals in football to move to a neutral site.

I've been wanting to say that on here for a month. If you watch the video he smiles when he says it. It was total tongue in cheek.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:57 am

Mrs TrackCat wrote:
Last year all of men’s and women’s games were on PlutoTV, except the men’s championship to which ESPN holds the rights. It might have been on ESPNU — that I do. It remember. I do remember streaming it using the ESPN streaming services. So I think you’ll be able to watch everything. You’ll enjoy Joe Cravens’ comments on the men’s side, and want to shut the sound off when Krista Redpath is expounding on the women’s side. If the ‘Cats are in the game, you’d never know it. No matter who is playing, she seems to start every monologue with “When I played for Montana...” The Big Sky really needs to review her work and replace her.

Update after seeing the link above: The games listed for Eleven Sports have in the past been carried by PlutoTV as well. PlutoTV has an Eleven Sports channel but none of the Eleven Sports Big Sky productions ever seem to be on it. I have no idea how Eleven Sports works, unless you have satellite service. Spectrum carried it for a little while but dumped it very quickly.

Bottom line — one way or another you should be able to watch all the tournament games.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:13 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:45 pm
Awesome! Absolutely awesome. Nice recruiting card to play. Keep winning. Climb the chart.

NOTE: The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast, Western Athletic.

The Big Sky voter is Seton Soboleski, Idaho State head coach.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:35 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:13 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:45 pm
Awesome! Absolutely awesome. Nice recruiting card to play. Keep winning. Climb the chart.

NOTE: The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast, Western Athletic.

The Big Sky voter is Seton Soboleski, Idaho State head coach.
Pretty cool that the top 5 of that poll are all in the Coach's top 25 overall.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:37 am

According to the Big Sky Conference website ALL games will be streamed. I think Pluto TV will have it along with watchbigsky.com

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:02 pm

I know we have an excellent team, but hate all the accolades until AFTER the season. Biggest challenge is going to be guarding against an upset in the Tourney. It’s tough to be hunted. We’ll get everyone’s best every game!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:02 pm
I know we have an excellent team, but hate all the accolades until AFTER the season. Biggest challenge is going to be guarding against an upset in the Tourney. It’s tough to be hunted. We’ll get everyone’s best every game!
I hear ya. We've seen before-getting upset in the tourney-it happens to first place teams every season. It happened to our team not too long ago.
Listen to Fallyn Freije on the latest Cat Chat. She talks about practicing like we're 1-13 and not getting hung up on our recent results. It was impressive (half way into the show). https://msubobcats.com/sports/2018/5/18 ... dcast.aspx

Mrs TrackCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mrs TrackCat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:15 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:57 am
Mrs TrackCat wrote:
Last year all of men’s and women’s games were on PlutoTV, except the men’s championship to which ESPN holds the rights. It might have been on ESPNU — that I do. It remember. I do remember streaming it using the ESPN streaming services. So I think you’ll be able to watch everything. You’ll enjoy Joe Cravens’ comments on the men’s side, and want to shut the sound off when Krista Redpath is expounding on the women’s side. If the ‘Cats are in the game, you’d never know it. No matter who is playing, she seems to start every monologue with “When I played for Montana...” The Big Sky really needs to review her work and replace her.

Update after seeing the link above: The games listed for Eleven Sports have in the past been carried by PlutoTV as well. PlutoTV has an Eleven Sports channel but none of the Eleven Sports Big Sky productions ever seem to be on it. I have no idea how Eleven Sports works, unless you have satellite service. Spectrum carried it for a little while but dumped it very quickly.

Bottom line — one way or another you should be able to watch all the tournament games.
Thanks so much for the information. I remember when we could not even be sure until the Cat-Griz football game started each year, if we were even going to be able to view the game on television or not. As a Bobcat fan, it is awesome to be able to follow the teams much more frequently on television when it is impossible to attend in person.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:42 am

Mrs TrackCat wrote: Thanks so much for the information. I remember when we could not even be sure until the Cat-Griz football game started each year, if we were even going to be able to view the game on television or not. As a Bobcat fan, it is awesome to be able to follow the teams much more frequently on television when it is impossible to attend in person.
I remember those days very well. And the days before when there was no TV, and dinosaurs roamed the earth. Well, that might be a little stretch. It is truly amazing how good we have it now. I especially appreciate it since I could no longer negotiate snow and ice and we moved to palm trees and sun. Very excited for Thursdays and Saturdays. We watch one game while I save the other one. So pretty often we turn Thursday night into a basketball double-header!

Thank you Big Sky Conference, and all the schools, for the work you have put into bringing us TV or streaming video of football, basketball, volleyball, track and field, other sports, and on occasion the ski team — and the tournaments! WatchBigSky.com and PlutoTV had a very rocky beginning to say the least, but finally it is rounding into shape. The first year they even experimented with a pay-per-view system. Pretty cool that the Big Sky now has free nationwide coverage on a semi-major streaming service (or the web) of virtually every conference game.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:42 am
Mrs TrackCat wrote: Thanks so much for the information. I remember when we could not even be sure until the Cat-Griz football game started each year, if we were even going to be able to view the game on television or not. As a Bobcat fan, it is awesome to be able to follow the teams much more frequently on television when it is impossible to attend in person.
I remember those days very well. And the days before when there was no TV, and dinosaurs roamed the earth. Well, that might be a little stretch. It is truly amazing how good we have it now. I especially appreciate it since I could no longer negotiate snow and ice and we moved to palm trees and sun. Very excited for Thursdays and Saturdays. We watch one game while I save the other one. So pretty often we turn Thursday night into a basketball double-header!

Thank you Big Sky Conference, and all the schools, for the work you have put into bringing us TV or streaming video of football, basketball, volleyball, track and field, other sports, and on occasion the ski team — and the tournaments! WatchBigSky.com and PlutoTV had a very rocky beginning to say the least, but finally it is rounding into shape. The first year they even experimented with a pay-per-view system. Pretty cool that the Big Sky now has free nationwide coverage on a semi-major streaming service (or the web) of virtually every conference game.
Not sure of the year, maybe 83 or 84, I wanted to figure out a way to listen to the CATS after I moved back to Northern California. I built a type of quarter wave length AM antenna. It would work well enough to be able to hear some of the games. But lots of that was due to atmospheric conditions. Then along came the CCrane select-a-tenna. May not have worked as well but was surely much less labor intensive. Amazing what we sometimes go through to follow our CATS.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:37 pm

Just a thought:
I just wanted to point out that the State Class C boys and girls basketball tournaments are taking place this week in Missoula. Scobey and Ekalaka are involved. Socbey fans have a 523 mile drive and Ekalaka fans have to drive 602 miles! Both road trips involve a lot of 2 lane highways...and they never leave the state of Montana! And I bet both those towns will be almost completely empty as everybody will in Missoula.

The road trip to Boise from Bozeman is only 476 miles and a lot of it is on 80 mph interstate highway. It's not a hard drive. Try to go if you can!