First-timers at the UI/MSU game tonight

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

First-timers at the UI/MSU game tonight

Post by KittieKop » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:15 pm

The BSC ref crew....pretty sure it was the first basketball game any of them have ever attended. That. Was. Brutal. The suck was strong in that crew.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: First-timers at the UI/MSU game tonight

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 pm

Cats had about 6 chances to win this game. Played great defense until the last couple seconds of the shot clock at least 3 times and let one of their shooters get an open shot which they hit all three times. Had two chances in the last 5 seconds with layups that were missed.

Not a good loss. Idaho plays very deliberate and takes care of the ball. Cats had a lot of freshmen on the floor at the end. They looked pretty good, but showed a lack of patience on offense. They will be something when they let the game come to them. A big reason for the loss may be that Squires got hurt in the last five minutes of regulation. They missed her in the two overtimes.

2024 Resume dominance

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:41 pm

Brutal game offensively. We missed a lot of easy shots tonight.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:02 pm

Layups. Composure.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 pm

The two things that looked like a possible weakness in our blowout wins was giving up offensive rebounds, and making contested layups. We gave up two offensive rebounds on UI's last possession of regulation and they hit a three to tie. We missed a lot of layups, I think we actually airballed three of them. UI plays tough defense but so do the Bobcats. It was an ugly brutal game that we absolutely should not have lost. I hope Squires heals fast-she was a massive loss. One bright spot-we're starting to see the emergence of Madison Jackson on both ends of the floor. She just needs to get a little more consistent and make better decisions on offense. I think she's going to keep improving as the season wears on.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:52 pm

Sometimes shots just won't go in. White was 1-14. Just one of those 13 misses goes in, Cats win. Idaho played tough defense and contested many shots, but there were also a lot of shots that had been going in during the past 2 weeks that didn't tonight.

BelgradeBobcat talked about Madison Jackson.
She is a superb athlete. I'm sure she is the fastest and has the biggest vertical on the team. As she gains experience, she will impact games in a big way.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 am

No, I agree. The game was still there for the Cats to win. Way too many missed lay ups and gave up too many crucial offensive rebounds to UI. Idaho looked big, and it was a very, very physical game. Weirdly officiated game though, like I said brutal, brutal physical game down low and the refs often let that go, but were calling really silly hand-check fouls up top. I guess everyone was having an odd, off night.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:15 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 am
No, I agree. The game was still there for the Cats to win. Way too many missed lay ups and gave up too many crucial offensive rebounds to UI. Idaho looked big, and it was a very, very physical game. Weirdly officiated game though, like I said brutal, brutal physical game down low and the refs often let that go, but were calling really silly hand-check fouls up top. I guess everyone was having an odd, off night.
On the officiating, what I kinda thought was weird, it was pretty obvious they were going to let them play in OT. It was pretty “free floating” and physical as the OTs went along.....appeared they were of the mind set “don’t be a factor in the outcome unless blood is drawn type thing”. Which was fine with me....let em play it out. Then they decide to call 2 shooting fouls against the Cats....where in the heck did that come from? Oh well. I couldn’t tell from where I sat if they were anymore flagrant than what I was seeing at our end.....But I can tell you they weren’t just playing “paddy-cake” under our basket.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:24 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:15 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 am
On the officiating, what I kinda thought was weird, it was pretty obvious they were going to let them play in OT. It was pretty “free floating” and physical as the OTs went along.....appeared they were of the mind set “don’t be a factor in the outcome unless blood is drawn type thing”. Which was fine with me....let em play it out. Then they decide to call 2 shooting fouls against the Cats....where in the heck did that come from? Oh well. I couldn’t tell from where I sat if they were anymore flagrant than what I was seeing at our end.....But I can tell you they weren’t just playing “paddy-cake” under our basket.
officiating was very inconsistent the whole game.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz