Future Bobcat Basketball Season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Future Bobcat Basketball Season

Post by mslacat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:23 am

Every year I like to follow committed or signed basketball recruits to get a feel for them before they put on the Blue and Gold in 2020. I share some quick results on twitter and here on Bobcatnation.com I may elaborate on what I posted on Twitter. I know this is not for everybody, but I hope there are some stat nerds out there who may enjoy this kind of Schtuff.

Mike Hood 6-2 guard S. Idaho Southern Idaho over the past 15-20 years has been the best D1 JC basketball team in the country. It is not uncommon for CSI to sign everyone of their Sophomores to D-1 schools. CSI is a good team this year but is not at that caliber of team. They have a brand new head Coach and the roster is all brand new players. Hood is one of 2 sophomores on the team and the remaining 12 players are freshman. Mike hood is currently leading CSI in scoring at 22.0 point a game through 8 games (5W-3L). He is also averaging 2 assist, 2 steals 3 rebounds while shooting 45% from the field, 36% from 3 point range and 90% from the charity stripe.

Leia Beattie a 5-9 guard from Midland Classical HS in her first two games of the season averaged 25.5 points (7 three pointers) 5 assist and 3 steals

Ava Ranson 5-9 Guard from Timberline HS in Boise Idaho averaged 23 points 5 assists, 5 steals in her first two games of the season in blow out wins. She was named Treasure Valley Player of the Week

Tatlor Janssen 6-3 forward from Rosemount HS in MN scored 17 points and 7 rebounds in her first game and first win of the season.

More high schools teams will be rolling out in the next 1-2 weeks so more later.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Future Bobcat Basketball Season

Post by mslacat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:19 am

Some updates. Women First

Taylor Janssen 6-3 Guard/Small Forward/Power Forward Rosemount HS (MN). Taylor is leading her team in scoring with 15 points a game thru 10 games. Her high game so far is a 24 point effort. She has also hit 27 3-point shots so far this season. Rosemount is a top 10 ranked division team with a 9 wins and 1 loss record. These are the only stats I could find, but I would love to see her block shots and rebound. Taylor has really long arms even for a 6-3 player, and is adept at getting her hands on the ball.

Sydney Stendsgard 5-10 shooting guard/Small Forward Simley HS (MN). Sydney is averaging 12 points 4 rebounds 3 assists and 2 steels thru 6 games for Simley high school (5W - 2L). A couple weeks ago she scored her 1000th career points for Smiley and is adding to that number, Looking over her box scorers she is a model of consistency scoring between 11 to 14 points every game, as well as racking up stats in every category. Her reputation is that she out works a lot of opponents and is a deep 3-point threat (hitting 18 thru 6 games)

Lexi Deden 6-1 power forward Sentinel HS (MT) Sentinel only has 3 games under their belt so far this season and are out to a 3-0 start. Lexi is averaging 17 points a game with a best effort of 21 points, I am still looking for a reliable source for Montana HS basketball stats so if any one knows of one let me know.

Ava Ranson 5-10 point guard / shooting guard/ wing Timber Line HS (ID). I can not find a reliable source for stats but seems to be a pretty consistent 18-22 points a game scorer who can explode for big nights. Ava had on of those nights about a week and half ago when she set a Timber Line single game scoring record with a 36 point outing, I thought her stats might fall a little this year as Timber Line added back on to their roster 6-2 forward (signed with D-1 St Marys) who sat out last year with an injury. Again I do not have her actual stats, but I am betting her scoring average is real close to maybe a little better than last year. Like Stendgard Ava is a stat monster for rebounding, assists, and steals,

Leia Beattie 5-9 point guard / shooting guard. Again I can not fins a reliable source for stats, but looking over box scores high game of 32pts low of 15pts pretty consistent in the 19-24pts range. Leia is a big time scorer, with deep 3-point range. She uses her three point shot to set up drive when teams try to over player her.

Katelynn Limardo 6-3 shooting guard / small forward / power forward Silver HS (MN) I had to double check her stats but from Max Preps.com she is averaging 26 points 11 rebounds 2 assists 3 steels and 4 Blocks a game thru 10 games this season. Katelynn is shooting the ball 33% from three point range (17 of 51) and 40% from the field. Interestingly enough these shooting percentages are the lowest for her career at silver. As a junior Katelynn shot 51% from the field and 41% from three point range. Silver high school currently has a 6W-4L record. When I listed her above as a shooting guard, that is not an occasional thing. She starts for Silver at shooting guard plays some small forward and power forward, almost never Center. She also played guard and wing forward exclusively for her AAU Club. She is the daughter of a high school coach and has a very high basketball IQ.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:23 am

This is good stuff. Keep it coming!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:51 pm

Tyler Patterson 6-7 guard/ small forward Mt Si HS (WA) Danny was really high on him this fall, of all the recruits scheduled for official visits to Bozeman Tyler was the first & Danny's #1 recruit this fall, in a year where he did not have a lot of scholarships to offer (2). Mt Si was a preseason top #1 pick in the state of Washington this year it's back court of Tyler Patterson (Montana State signee) and Jabes Mullins (St. Mary's signee) is ranked as the top back court duo in the state of Washington this year, and Tyler as the top defender. As the season started Mullins started out hot and it looked like it was going to be Mullins team with Patterson being his wing-man/sidekick. Patterson started the season with a 14 point average (to Mullins 24), but as the season has progressed Patterson has been getting better and better. Currently Patterson is averaging 19 points 2 assists 5 rebounds for Mt Si while shooting 57% from the field and 55% from 3 point range. These stats do not include a 32 point outburst he had last night (more on that later). This past weekend Mt Si played in the Rancho Mirage Holiday Invitational in California. This tournament features 20 plus teams. Including some of the best California teams. Additionally they will invite the top teams from west coast teams (Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Nevada) that is how Mt Si got their invite. There were 3 to 4 dozens of D-1 prospects playing in the tourney. Players from the Big Sky Level up to the #11 rated player in the country. Last night Mt Si won the tournament Championship over Mayfield HS in California featuring the #11 player in the country. Tyler Patteron was named tournament MVP. Over the last three games of the tourney Patterson had games of 26, 28 and 32 points while trying to defend. He shot over 60% from three point range and in the championship game had 8 three pointers while he double team and Box on 1 for most of the night. The internet was a buzzing last night singing the praises of not only Patterson but for Danny Sprinkle for stealing such a great player. Below is a write up on the game last night.

BTW Behind Tyler Patterson and Gabe Mullins the #3 scorer on the MT Si team is soph Quin Patterson a 6-6 small forward who is averaging 8 points 4 rebounds 42% FG and 61% 3FG. And yes he is Tyler's little brother.

BTW2 a couple weeks ago Tyler past the 1000 career point total for Mt Si

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hig ... ite-title/

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:00 pm

Last update.

Mike Hood 6-2 Point Guard / Shooting guard College of Southern Idaho (JC) Mike is have a great year for CSI. Csi is have, for them a little bit of a down year with a current 11 win and 7 loss season so far. It is a rebuilding year for CIS with only a couple sophomores and a whole lot of freshman. Mike Hood is the leader of the team and is averaging 22.1 points 3.2 rebounds 2 assists 30 minutes a game, while shooting 46.5% from the field, 37% from 3 point range (57-152) and 90% from the free throw line. His high game of the season was a 34 point out put in a win against Blue Mountain CC. He should be able to step right in and help fill the scoring gap of graduating Landen Ricketts plus give us some more options at the point guard spot.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:15 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:00 pm
Last update.

Mike Hood 6-2 Point Guard / Shooting guard College of Southern Idaho (JC) Mike is have a great year for CSI. Csi is have, for them a little bit of a down year with a current 11 win and 7 loss season so far. It is a rebuilding year for CIS with only a couple sophomores and a whole lot of freshman. Mike Hood is the leader of the team and is averaging 22.1 points 3.2 rebounds 2 assists 30 minutes a game, while shooting 46.5% from the field, 37% from 3 point range (57-152) and 90% from the free throw line. His high game of the season was a 34 point out put in a win against Blue Mountain CC. He should be able to step right in and help fill the scoring gap of graduating Landen Ricketts plus give us some more options at the point guard spot.
Thanks for the updates! You may have posted this in one of the other recruit/signing threads, but do Hood and/or Patterson remind you of any other former Bobcat players in terms of their build and style of play?

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:23 pm

Mr. mslacat — keep the nerdy stuff coming. These are some of my favorite posts on Bobcat Nation. I love basketball, and I enjoy how you use your knowledge and research and contacts to bring us some really good stuff. Your work is appreciated. Now I need to go to the top and read it!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:03 pm

Both Patterson and Hood sound like great recruits. Patterson specific sounds like a huge get!! Sprinkle really has the program moving in the right direction!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:03 pm
Both Patterson and Hood sound like great recruits. Patterson specific sounds like a huge get!! Sprinkle really has the program moving in the right direction!
I think Danny knew Patterson at a projected 6-8 college player with guard ball skills, unlimited 3 point range and a good post game could really have an impact in the Big Sky Conference. Add to that is he is probably the best defensive player out of high school the Bobcats have signed since Jason Erickson. I think with his recent play Danny may be thinking he could be a better player than he thought. In that regards he reminds me a Tyler Hall.
I am not saying he is the next coming of Hall, but Fish signed him early. By the end of his senior year a lot of high Major programs were kicking themselves that they did not recruit him. If Patterson did not play with 6-6 St Mary's recruit Jabe Mullins his stats would be unbelievable. They play so unselfishly together they know when the other is hot and get him the ball. On the other hand I think Mullins simply make Patterson better and visa versa. They are almost the same player Jabe has better point guard skills, but Tyler is the better/deeper shooter. They have been playing together and practicing against one an other for 4-5 years and that makes them better.

As Far as finding a past Bobcat player to compare him to it is tough, he is rather unique, but you can not help thinking of Tom Damako. A 6-8 slender player with guard skills and deep three point range. It may be close but Tom walked on to the MSU campus as a 6-8 freshman and graduated at 6-10. I think Patterson is going to top out at 6-7 to maybe 6-8. At 6-10 in the mid 80's Tom was soooooo hard to guard. He would shoot over you or fake and drive by you for a mid range or slam. Tom also was not noted as a defensive stopper. It is hard to do any comparison until you see them in practice and see them in games.

A couple Patterson recruiting rumors: While we were recruiting him we where competing against Cal Poly Seattle and UC Santa Barbara. He took three trips, including MSU, before he made his choice. After he visited MSU but before committing Peperdine tried to get him to visit their campus. He decided he wanted to be a Bobcat and turned them down. After committing to MSU, I am told a couple Pac-10 school asked him if he would still be committed to MSU if a Pac-10 offer was tendered. He was done with recruiting an honored his Commitment.

Patterson has the potential to be a great player for the Bobcat, but a lot depends on how much he wants it and how hard he work between now and when he puts on the Blue and Gold Uni and then again does he continue to push himself ever year he wears it.

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by orsalak » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:19 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:23 pm
Mr. mslacat — keep the nerdy stuff coming. These are some of my favorite posts on Bobcat Nation. I love basketball, and I enjoy how you use your knowledge and research and contacts to bring us some really good stuff. Your work is appreciated. Now I need to go to the top and read it!
I agree these are the best

22-0

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:55 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:51 pm
Tyler Patterson 6-7 guard/ small forward Mt Si HS (WA) Danny was really high on him this fall, of all the recruits scheduled for official visits to Bozeman Tyler was the first & Danny's #1 recruit this fall, in a year where he did not have a lot of scholarships to offer (2). Mt Si was a preseason top #1 pick in the state of Washington this year it's back court of Tyler Patterson (Montana State signee) and Jabes Mullins (St. Mary's signee) is ranked as the top back court duo in the state of Washington this year, and Tyler as the top defender. As the season started Mullins started out hot and it looked like it was going to be Mullins team with Patterson being his wing-man/sidekick. Patterson started the season with a 14 point average (to Mullins 24), but as the season has progressed Patterson has been getting better and better. Currently Patterson is averaging 19 points 2 assists 5 rebounds for Mt Si while shooting 57% from the field and 55% from 3 point range. These stats do not include a 32 point outburst he had last night (more on that later). This past weekend Mt Si played in the Rancho Mirage Holiday Invitational in California. This tournament features 20 plus teams. Including some of the best California teams. Additionally they will invite the top teams from west coast teams (Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Nevada) that is how Mt Si got their invite. There were 3 to 4 dozens of D-1 prospects playing in the tourney. Players from the Big Sky Level up to the #11 rated player in the country. Last night Mt Si won the tournament Championship over Mayfield HS in California featuring the #11 player in the country. Tyler Patteron was named tournament MVP. Over the last three games of the tourney Patterson had games of 26, 28 and 32 points while trying to defend. He shot over 60% from three point range and in the championship game had 8 three pointers while he double team and Box on 1 for most of the night. The internet was a buzzing last night singing the praises of not only Patterson but for Danny Sprinkle for stealing such a great player. Below is a write up on the game last night.

BTW Behind Tyler Patterson and Gabe Mullins the #3 scorer on the MT Si team is soph Quin Patterson a 6-6 small forward who is averaging 8 points 4 rebounds 42% FG and 61% 3FG. And yes he is Tyler's little brother.

BTW2 a couple weeks ago Tyler past the 1000 career point total for Mt Si

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hig ... ite-title/
Okay, from all this he sounds like the second coming of Reggie Miller.

Any chance he decides to play at a bigger school?

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:23 pm

Patterson signed his official NCAA letter of intent in the early signing period last November, which certainly makes it much less likely if not impossible for a bigger school to swoop in late and get him. While a verbal commitment isn't binding on either side, the LOI is.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Good to know.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers